What cloth diapers are you going to use? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What cloth diapers are you going to to using? If you are cloth diapering that is

I used prefolds snappied with imse vimse wool cover with dd(FB with ds) and am not sure if I want to do that again or get some fancy diapers like bum genius one size org Aio's. My dh has banned the snappi in our house since he got poked with it(we all have now been cut by it). I only like using natural fibers becasue they don't stink like the synthetics. I so just want to use sposies but dh says NO! We use clover fitteds right now for dd and they are the best but they are so bulky.

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#2 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 08:10 PM

I used all pockets with DS (started just before he turned 1). I have Happy Heiny, Fuzzi Bunz, Swaddlebees, Baby Kangas. My favorites are FB and SB. For this little one I've got fitteds, prefolds and pockets that I've bought second hand. My fitteds are pretty much 1 size which will be nice. DH will only do "easy" ones like pre-filled pockets with snaps. I'm excited to try the new stuff with our new little guy!
#3 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 08:13 PM

For the newborn stage, I'm going to be using mainly Kissaluvs Fitteds size 0 and also some prefolds in case I get behind on laundry. I've got a combination of covers...some Imse Vemse, some Bumkins(I think? pregnancy brain strikes again and I am too lazy to go see), and some WAHM covers as well.

Once the baby outgrows those, I've got tons of Small and Medium FBs, BG1.0 and KnickerNappies that I used with DS.
#4 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 08:16 PM

I'm just starting to cloth diaper, but we're going with bum genius. I can use the one-size for dd and ds so that's cool, my first couple from a friend are coming soon so I can try them out on dd and make sure I like them. I needed something SUPER easy or I knew I might flake out and run back to sposies. I'm excited about how cute they are though

Wife to dh and mama to : dd (7/08) and ds (11/09)
#5 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 PM

I will be using mama-made fitteds and prefolds with wool and Thirsties covers. I'll probably switch to pockets at some point like I did with dd, I really liked the fit of FBs on her but I may try some others this time, like GADS or Haute Pockets. I'm super excited to cd this wee one when she comes!!
#6 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 08:43 PM

We've been using Fuzzi bunz for our DD. We're test driving some rump-a-rooz G2 one-size right now, and may buy more. I have a few happy heinys small and some bamboozles.

I'd like to get some Swaddlebeez newborn fitted and covers.

We are planning a diaper shower, as it's the only thing we *really* need. I'm hoping we don't have to buy too many diapers. (We will have two in diapers)

Forest wandering mama treehugger.gif to Z 14/02/08 homebirth.jpgand T 30/11/09 h20homebirth.gif.
#7 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 08:47 PM

I am doing prefolds with covers for the newborn stage, then over to a two-in-one a local mamma designed and sewed for me She used organic bamboo velor that snaps into place, similar to a pocket, with no pocket

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#8 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM

I am using a diaper service and so happy about that! They said that if I want I can throw in any pockets or what not I may use.

For newborn I am using the prefolds they also have Bummis and Thirsties covers I will be buying some Fleece covers for at night as I always used that with DS at night with no issues ever! I am not sure how long we will use the service for. Also my favorite with Ds was prefolds you can not get a better fit than a prefold IMO

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#9 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM

I have some Kissaluvs size 0 that I am using, along with some WAHM pockets. I haven't bought anything else yet but I will be using newborn prefolds the rest of the time.

Once he starts wearing a size medium I have a ton of Fuzzi Bunz that I am using for DS now so I imagine I will be re-using most of those.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#10 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 09:32 PM

We have mostly Haute Pockets with a few BG thrown in... those will all be for DS. Meanwhile we have some FlyBaby and Swaddlebees for DD (they are not one size) and she can share DS's OS dipes.

I wish we had ALL haute pockets. Old style with snaps... I could do without the newer ones. I don't like the tabs on them.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#11 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 09:54 PM

We've got newborn and infant prefolds, flats (I love that they're so versatile for sizing and quick to wash/dry), a couple different PUL covers (Thirsties, Prorap, and BSWW), a couple knitted wool soakers, 3 small Fuzzi Bunz, and 3 SposoEasy AIOs. Also considering trying a few of the OS like BumGenius, Wahmies, Happy Heiny's, and Soft Bums AI2. I'm hoping the variety will give us a chance to find what will work best for baby once s/he moves out of the newborn sizes.
#12 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 PM

For the newborn we are going to use prefolds with covers. I make my own but I absolutely LOVE Blueberry brand diapers. LOL They aren't cheap either. I have a few Bum Genius diapers and we've used them for 9 months and the Aplix is shot. I have to convert them to snaps. I have been very disappointed with them. I do have some old Fuzzi Bunz that I love.

This one is a boy so once Brianna is potty trained (I'm in the process of making her some trainers) so I have to get rid of all my girly dipes and make some boy ones. I did get some wicked cute camo ooga booga fabric. All the possibilities!!!!

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

#13 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 PM

This is our first baby but we have 20 (so far) BumGenius 3.0's and have high hopes that they will work as their website and many others in the CD forum have stated they do. We are so happy to not be using sposies, my mother used prefolds and pins with me and my brother, she's excited about these new CD. And we are happy to be continuing the CD tradition! The only thing I'm slightly worried about is whether they will really be small enough for a newborn.

Denyel & Kate Bond - Black Belt Mamas to Dekaylee born 10/29/09 - And parents to our 4-legged family including 1 Dog "Hank", 2 cats "Boris & Ahmi", and 5 Beautiful Alpacas!!
#14 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 10:27 PM

CPFs and some flats and misc covers.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#15 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 PM

I still can't decide. I am totally, totally confused and get SO overwhelmed when I start trying to figure it out .

Is there any one kind of diaper that:

--Will grow with / fit the baby from newborn throughout infancy?
--Are all-in-one style (I'm looking for something easy!)
--Won't cost over $500ish for the initial investment?

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#16 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
I still can't decide. I am totally, totally confused and get SO overwhelmed when I start trying to figure it out .

Is there any one kind of diaper that:

--Will grow with / fit the baby from newborn throughout infancy?
--Are all-in-one style (I'm looking for something easy!)
--Won't cost over $500ish for the initial investment?
For what you want I'd invest in some one size pocket diapers. Although, they generally won't fit a newborn until they get a little bigger so still get a few newborn diapers. A newborn won't stay in a newborn dipe for that long. That's why I'm not investing my time and energy on pockets for a newborn to wear for a few weeks (we're doing covers with prefolds). There are a lot of OS pocket brands out there.

#17 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 10:50 PM

I decided on mostly prefolds and covers, with a few fitteds thrown in. That keeps the cost down - which is a huge factor for me! I bought the Infant size of prefolds (since ds was a 9 pound baby and this one seems to be well on her way, too!), but I was told that they are likely too large for the NB stage. Grrr... I'll probably order a few NB sizes soon. Also, a friend said she'd loan me some of her BG OS's, and those should be fun to try!
#18 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenalove46 View Post
For what you want I'd invest in some one size pocket diapers. Although, they generally won't fit a newborn until they get a little bigger so still get a few newborn diapers. A newborn won't stay in a newborn dipe for that long. That's why I'm not investing my time and energy on pockets for a newborn to wear for a few weeks (we're doing covers with prefolds). There are a lot of OS pocket brands out there.
Thank you for your input. What one size pocket diapers would you suggest, if you don't mind me asking?

I was wondering if any newborn diapers would fit the baby continuously. I wonder if I should just do sposies for the newborn stage and then have my stock of cloth ready for when s/he grows into it. Well, I guess that would depend on how much the newborn diapers would end up costing me as well. Decisions, decisions.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#19 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose-Roget View Post
I decided on mostly prefolds and covers, with a few fitteds thrown in. That keeps the cost down - which is a huge factor for me! I bought the Infant size of prefolds (since ds was a 9 pound baby and this one seems to be well on her way, too!), but I was told that they are likely too large for the NB stage. Grrr... I'll probably order a few NB sizes soon. Also, a friend said she'd loan me some of her BG OS's, and those should be fun to try!
I would hold off on that personally- I only have green stitched and blue stitched- no newborn size size no problems w/ either kid.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#20 of 44 Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 PM

We used prefolds and covers with dd. They worked just fine and did the job. When she was older we got a couple of fuzibunz, and I absolutely hated them. They leaked like mad. With ds we started out with prefolds and then got a couple of used bumGenius, and we were ruined for life They are so easy to use, we never had leaks, and I liked I didn't have to switch diapers and covers for each size. And he was a little over eight pounds at birth, so the bumGenius would have worked fine for him from birth on up. We used them until he potty trained and are going to buy 24 new ones to use with the new baby. That will be about $450 for the person who was looking for a stash under $500.00

, , , and
#21 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 09:39 AM

We're using a combination of mainly prefolds and covers, along with sized fitteds made by me, OS fitteds to grow with her, sized covers and some OS covers and wool longies knit by me. I might get a couple of pockets for nighttime but if she's anything like my DS she'll poop ALL the time in the beginning and I'm not going to spend the money on a bunch of pockets you can't pull out the insert and reuse the pocket because its been pooped on. I'll add more pockets as her poops get more infrequent and more OS fitteds as she grows but I really like prefolds and fitteds with wool and that will be our main stash.
#22 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I would hold off on that personally- I only have green stitched and blue stitched- no newborn size size no problems w/ either kid.
Thanks for that input. The ones I bought are the green stitched ones. I guess if there's a problem, I'll order some of the smaller sizes. However, I received free samples of Huggies Pure and Natural NB dipes in the mail, and I can't believe how tiny they are! I guess I forgot - even my "big" baby was tiny at one time.

I know there's a diapering forum, but here's an aside question: To prep the prefolds, I wash them several times in hot water and I dry them between each wash - right? Do I dry on high, medium, delicate? I think I'll usually try to line dry, but I think for the prep, I need to use a dryer + it would take days, and I'm just not that patient at this point!
#23 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
Thank you for your input. What one size pocket diapers would you suggest, if you don't mind me asking?

I was wondering if any newborn diapers would fit the baby continuously. I wonder if I should just do sposies for the newborn stage and then have my stock of cloth ready for when s/he grows into it. Well, I guess that would depend on how much the newborn diapers would end up costing me as well. Decisions, decisions.
I am going to make maybe 5 or 6 PUL NB or Small covers and invest in some infant sized prefolds (the covers can be wiped down and reused as long as they weren't all nastified). That should be enough until this baby gets big enough to fit into pockets. I think I'm also going to bring a few size 1 dipes just incase nothing fits. I've never cloth diapered a new born (DD was 8 months old when we started) so I just can't help you very much with this! LOL

I have some BG 3.0's and although they still fit really well and the soakers also work very well, I will caution on getting their snap style. The Aplix tends to get shot quickly. I have 3 and I can't use them for the new baby until I switch them to snaps.

Here are some links to some good pocket diapers. And you can always check out craigslist, diaperswappers, or ebay for some used ones for cheaper than buying a new one:

Happy Heinys http://www.happyheinys.com/
Fuzzy Bunz http://www.fuzzibunz.com/
Thirsties OS pockets http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CQUMFS
And you can always check out www.hyenacart.com and www.etsy.com for some WAHM diapers (and sometimes you can find some nice cheap ones).

Has anyone ever heard of this kind of diaper? I think I need to try one to see how they system works. It looks awesome though! http://hineylineys.com/care.htm

#24 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
We used prefolds and covers with dd. They worked just fine and did the job. When she was older we got a couple of fuzibunz, and I absolutely hated them. They leaked like mad. With ds we started out with prefolds and then got a couple of used bumGenius, and we were ruined for life They are so easy to use, we never had leaks, and I liked I didn't have to switch diapers and covers for each size. And he was a little over eight pounds at birth, so the bumGenius would have worked fine for him from birth on up. We used them until he potty trained and are going to buy 24 new ones to use with the new baby. That will be about $450 for the person who was looking for a stash under $500.00
So glad to hear this! We're using OS bumgenius but I was a little nervous about the velcro instead of snap thing, like maybe it would wear out? I think a PP said that was her experience, so I'm glad to hear the worked for you for the long term. We'll have two in diapers, which was our huge motivator for making the switch, so they'll get lots of use!

Wife to dh and mama to : dd (7/08) and ds (11/09)
#25 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
We used them until he potty trained and are going to buy 24 new ones to use with the new baby. That will be about $450 for the person who was looking for a stash under $500.00
Just a note: we got 20 brand new BumGenius 3.0 on Ebay for $340 (including shipping). So whoever was looking at getting easy to use, less than $500 dipes. Try Ebay you may be able to get what you want and save a few $$!

Denyel & Kate Bond - Black Belt Mamas to Dekaylee born 10/29/09 - And parents to our 4-legged family including 1 Dog "Hank", 2 cats "Boris & Ahmi", and 5 Beautiful Alpacas!!
#26 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 PM

For DS #1, we used Bum Genius 2.0 (started out when he was 10 months). We were really happy with them, (super easy, great fit) but found that the velcro and PUL cover did wear out after awhile (about 16 months of heavy use, so I'm not complaining). So we switched to a bare minimum stash of toddler prefolds and Bummis Super Snap covers. I'm shocked by how happy I am with them. They are pretty much just as easy to use as pockets and I think they work even better...the only downfall is that they're MUCH bulkier. I'm almost bummed that we got so many OS FuzziBunz for baby #2 (we've tested them out on DS #1 and I'm happy with the fit, but I don't think the FB insert is as absorbent as BG's, but I do love the snaps and colors).

If I could do it all over, I think I'd go with a mix...this would be my dream stash:

12 prefolds + 6 covers
6 fitteds + 2 wool covers + a pair of great wool longhies
(all of the above would probably be needed in 2 sizes)
6 or more OS pockets
#27 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM

I have some prefolds and wool and PUL wraps, but my one true love is Dream Eze fitteds and AIOs (www.thenaturalbabyco.com). I've been stocking up when they have sales on seconds/testers. I hope to be able to get some of the new AIOs with the lovely wider elastic.

I would love to have some natural fiber inner Cloth Thoughts AIOs but I don't think the WAHM is sewing anymore. Wah!

I have some OBB Marathon pockets for out and about but overall I don't want to deal with synthetics and the potential laundry complications.

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#28 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 12:27 PM

We'll be doing flats/pre-folds and covers.
#29 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM

I wish I knew what I was doing!!

I find the multitude of systems and options overwhelming!

But I'm leaning towards some prefolds w/covers for newborn stage, then AIO's. I want DH to be able to do it easily so he does it often! I have heard good things about Dream-eeze and SposoEasy, so we might get some of those, and then maybe some BG's too. I've heard BG's aplix isn't so good long-term, but their snaps are, but then some say doing snaps in the middle of the night is a PITA. hmph.

So confused! And I have to register soon... eek!

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#30 of 44 Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 PM

I'm definitely starting out with just prefolds and covers, mostly because it is the cheapest system and simple enough to use. I do not wrap my diaper around the baby or snappi or pin. I fold the prefold and lay it in the cover. Super easy. Like a pocket only without the "pocket" to have to reach in and get my hand icky. Prefolds are cheap and easy to clean, and if I want to dress them up for cuteness factor, I can sew on decorative material. I can even make them into pre-fitteds if I want.

With my son, I scoured for bargains and tried just about every diaper out there. I liked fuzzibunz and wonderoos, but found that finding them bargain-priced was next to impossible. The used ones sell for like maybe $1 cheaper than new. Most AIO styles were way too bulky on my son, and besides they were a pain in the rear to clean. I fought diaper stench more often than I would care to admit with my AIOs. Sure, they were kind of "easy" but there are plenty of easy systems.

mariacm -- if you are overwhelmed with all the choices, I recommend getting a few different kinds and then trying them on your wee one. You can never really know what works well until you try it. The good thing is that you can sell whatever doesn't work to pay for what you know does work.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page