PP what are you going to do?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I was trying to figure out what I want to do PP? I really hate hate hate hate plastic pads But i do not have the money to splurge on PP mama cloth I have Ds's infant prefolds but that seems way to big for me to use. I am not crafty so i cannot make any What are you all going to use are you going sposie route or are you useing cloth?

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 AM

ehh....i use whatever combo of things i have on hand. last time i had some sposies from the hospital, and after that i used cloth pads + "rigged" cloth that i'd made myself. not the best scenario, but it worked okay. i hate disposable pads too!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#3 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 AM

i hate pads. i dont like sitting ion my own blood i use cups!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#4 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 08:55 AM

At the first bit I will likely use some prefolds or flats and then mama pads. Disposable ones are nasty!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 AM

I have only used disposable and will again this time. I love the giant pads and being able to toss the whole mess. Once things "slow down" a bit that can change but for me, I like having the easiest possible clean up.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#6 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake View Post
i hate pads. i dont like sitting ion my own blood i use cups!
uhh...you're not supposed to use cups postpartum...right??

trust me i prefer my divacup too!

#7 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 AM

Oh wow, I hadn't even thought of this. I'll probably make myself some PP pads with whatever's leftover from making cloth diapers. Though I would LOVE some of the pretty and squishy looking pads on Hyenacart...
#8 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 AM

I have been thinking about this a lot. I'm not sure why I am able to handle my DD's poop with so much ease, examine it to the point where my nose is practically in it, wash poopy, stinky diapers, etc. but I can not stomach the thought of using cloth on myself PP. I have finally come to terms with the fact that I am just going to end up using disposies on myself and must get over the guilt.
#9 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 AM

I usually use disposables the first 24ish hours or so and then move to cloth. I have a stash left over from DD, but I'll probably make a few more too.

I just do a teeny wetpail under the sink with peroxide and water.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#10 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
uhh...you're not supposed to use cups postpartum...right??

trust me i prefer my divacup too!
That's what I've been told, too. I absolutely hate pads--cloth or sposie doesn't matter, but I suck it up and use them pp. And it really sucks because I bleed *forever* (like 7+ weeks...ugh.)

I much prefer my cup, too!

Tessa, wife to DH and Mama to DD (3/01) and DS1 (HB-VBAC! 9/06) and DS2 (2nd HB-VBAC 10/25/09)
#11 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 11:01 AM

I am going to try cloth this time. I have always used the disposables, but they are so itchy and uncomfortable. I am splurging on some nice cloth though, I figure it will start my stash for when I get back cycles again anyway. Although in the last 4 years I have only had like 4 cycles It seems I am always pregnant!
#12 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Definitely using cloth. I have a mix of homemade and ones that I've purchased over time. I use a Diva normally and love it but no, you can't use it PP.
#13 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 11:52 AM

I have no idea what I will be using. I hate sposie pads because they are so itchy and uncomfortable but with dh STILL out of a job I am not really able to buy cloth

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#14 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 PM

I'm going straight for the Depends, without a second thought, hesitation or feeling of guilt. If I have to leave the house, I suppose I'll tone it down to a disposable pad of some sort, but I have zero qualms about wearing sposies right along with my girl. It's just gonna be me and her; I have neither the time nor anyone around who can see me to be worried about it.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#15 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not going to take on more than I can handle, I'm doing Depends/disposable pads for myself. It's already going to be a HUGE jump to using CDs for baby, I'm not sure I can adjusting to both.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#16 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 PM

I've been using cloth mama pads for several years now and am so used to how much more comfortable they are, that the thought of going back to a disposable pad doesn't appeal to me. That said, I have my stash of mama pads, but I don't think they would be able to hold up to the first few days of pp bleeding. I'll probably go with disposable pads, until at least it slows down to the point I can use my regular mama pads.

For you mamas who don't think you could ever switch to cloth -- I was once you! I thought it was kind of gross, but I tried it one cycle and realized it was much less gross than disposable. They are so soft and comfortable, and for periods, anyway, if you use a menstrual cup with it, the clean up isn't near as bad as what you might think in your head.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#17 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgrl View Post
I'm going straight for the Depends, without a second thought, hesitation or feeling of guilt. If I have to leave the house, I suppose I'll tone it down to a disposable pad of some sort, but I have zero qualms about wearing sposies right along with my girl. It's just gonna be me and her; I have neither the time nor anyone around who can see me to be worried about it.
OMG, YOU ROCK!

#18 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 PM

The first three days are the heavy flow, after that it usually dies down. Cloth should be fine after that.

A friend/client of mine gave me her birth kit leftovers and one of the only thing missing is the big pads, that you can't just go into Target and buy. My midwife told me Depends would be the closest thing I'd find in stores... but the thought of it just makes me grossed out. If I were in the hospital I'd just be wearing the big pads they supply.
#19 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 03:17 PM

I have a sensitivity to disposable pads and I'm going to make some cloth pads before this baby comes cause I just don't want to deal with a very sensitive and itchy va-jay-jay from the pads when I'll be dealing with other issues as well. LOL

With Brianna, I bought some Depends but never used them! With my oldest I bled so hard, I wish I had thought to use them. This time, it was like a regular period after the first day. I think I also had some issues with my oldest that made me bleed so I'm not worried about it being like that this time.

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

#20 of 37 Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell View Post
My midwife told me Depends would be the closest thing I'd find in stores... but the thought of it just makes me grossed out.
You can probably find the big pads in a medical supply store, if you live in a relatively big city...or you can order them from an online birthing place, like inhishands.com.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#21 of 37 Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM

I'll probably use disposible ones like I did last time. I'll have two kids in cloth diapers and the last thing I want to worry about is washing my stuff, too! Last time I got a bunch from the hospital that had cooling gel in them, which felt awesome. I might have to find some more like that.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#22 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 07:11 PM

i never bleed too heavy, so i just use the thin always pads post partum. i appease my midwives and buy a few giant ones from the birth supply co. for the birth kit, but i never use them. they tried to get me to wear a depends after ethan's birth and it was horrible. i had to fold it down three times, and taking it off was a mess. blech. i also wear my regular panties (i'm not appeasing the midwives on this - i will not buy those mesh panties, lol).

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#23 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
I'll probably use disposible ones like I did last time. I'll have two kids in cloth diapers and the last thing I want to worry about is washing my stuff, too! Last time I got a bunch from the hospital that had cooling gel in them, which felt awesome. I might have to find some more like that.
i loved those after i had kayleigh. bought them for my birth kit when i was pregnant with ethan, and never needed them .... same with norah. so two babies later & they're still in my birth kit - lol! good to have them "incase," i guess!

Jenn, wife to John
#24 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExuberantDaffodil View Post
For you mamas who don't think you could ever switch to cloth -- I was once you! I thought it was kind of gross, but I tried it one cycle and realized it was much less gross than disposable. They are so soft and comfortable, and for periods, anyway, if you use a menstrual cup with it, the clean up isn't near as bad as what you might think in your head.
i just hate all pads. i suffer through it for the post partum period, but then they all go back into my birth kit box - lol!

Jenn, wife to John
#25 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 08:01 PM

why cant you use cups?

i love my life!!!
#26 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake View Post
why cant you use cups?
You're not supposed to insert anything into your vagina while it and your uterus are healing, it increases the risk of infection.
#27 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 09:45 PM

Daffodil, I don't think it's "gross", I am just thinking of ease and convenience. I've never used cloth pads.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#28 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 PM

I don't have time to make mama pads nor do I have the funds to buy any at this time. I'll use those mondo ones I get from the hospital and depends if I have any left. I also have some big (sposie) pads for beds/chairs for the first few days. I like to sit bare bottomed on those while I nurse the first few days -- the uterine contractions cause some gushes and it just feels better to have it out there than on a teeny sposie pad (no matter how thick it is).

I hadn't thought about this until today but ICK. I haven't had my period since June 2006 (aside from postpartum bleeding after DD was born). I'm not ready for this!

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
#29 of 37 Old 08-08-2009, 11:30 PM

blah im still going to use cups we ae a clean fam and im sure we wil be fine =-)

i love my life!!!
#30 of 37 Old 08-09-2009, 12:12 AM

I'd be afraid to stick anything up there... Germs or no... I imagine I'll not want anything even near my hoohah after something so big came out of it.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page