Things NOT to say to a pregnant woman... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 08-06-2009, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennaflower View Post
Oh no!!! My dh did something similar though. He nicknamed my maternity undies 'parachute panties' and proceeded to climb up on the bed and jump off with a pair above his head. Yes, he's 30 something. Sigh.
: my husband in a nutshell.

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
#32 of 45 Old 08-08-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennaflower View Post
Oh no!!! My dh did something similar though. He nicknamed my maternity undies 'parachute panties' and proceeded to climb up on the bed and jump off with a pair above his head. Yes, he's 30 something. Sigh.
laughup

Sorry to laugh, but that mental image was too much.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#33 of 45 Old 08-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExuberantDaffodil View Post
laughup

Sorry to laugh, but that mental image was too much.
No worries, I thought it was pretty funny myself (although I didn't let him know it ).
#34 of 45 Old 08-08-2009, 12:47 PM

I've had at least 5 conversations with cashiers the past few weeks that went something like this:

"Wow, you've got your hands full with these two boys! Is this one a girl?"
"No, it's a boy."
"Oh you poor girl. Hope hubby is on board for trying for a girl next time!"

Seriously, I wish the decisions I made about child bearing and the feelings I have about this baby were based soley on something so simple. (No offense to those of you who really wanted a certain sex and are dealing with being bummed about it, but for us it's far more complicated.)
#35 of 45 Old 08-09-2009, 01:46 PM

The two I can't stand are:

"You are going to have your hands full when this new baby gets here."
and
"Boy, you are sure going to be busy come November."

Really? Really? You mean parenting a 15YO, 3 YO and newborn requires effort? I don't just get to sit around watching soaps and eating scones all day with my feet up? I actually have to DO stuff? Why didn't someone TELL me this before I got pregnant?

The "hands full" thing just sends me over. the. edge.
It just has such a negative connotation to it. Like it's a warning that I've really gotten my clueless self into a real pickle. Dude, it's a BABY. That's a blessing, not some sort of problematic situation I should have avoided.

Thanks for letting me vent. That felt nice.
#36 of 45 Old 08-09-2009, 09:40 PM

The most annoying thing I had said to me was at the very end of my last pg. A man I knew asked how I was doing. I told him I was ready to have the baby on the OUTSIDE. He said "I don't know why women get so worked up at the end of pg. They should just relax! " I glared at him and replied "Says the MAN who has never carried another human being INSIDE his body before!"

What nerve!!!

Momma to 7
#37 of 45 Old 08-10-2009, 04:20 AM

The most frustrating thing that I probably hear 5-6 times a day is when they hear that I'm having another boy (second boy), then they make a face like they're thinking "poor thing" and say "awwwww..... another boy?!?!?!?!?!?" ...

The worst thing is that I don't even know what to answer! I get so mad that I just say something generic like, I like two same gender siblings or something like that, but then I get angrier that I had to explain myself! uuugh!
#38 of 45 Old 08-11-2009, 02:05 PM

In my last pregnancy, I was discussing how hunger pretty much rules your life when you’re pregnant and if you don’t eat it can make you feel sick. My dad interjects with a “That’s just a cop out, that's not real” meaning that pregnant women are somehow embellishing all the sickness and food issues that pop up.

I told him how else does he think that another living breathing HUMAN could be born. It’s the first law of thermodynamics. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed. If I don’t put into my body, nothing will ever come out. The sickness is our bodies ways of ensuring that we eat.

The comment was both clueless and macho so I was torn between feeling pity and disgust.

This time around, everyone before now (my 6th month) had made comments about how big I am. I really don’t get why they think that’s okay to say. Who would want to hear that?

Now that I’m 6 months it’s somehow gone opposite. Now, I’m soooo small to be 6 months. I’m all belly and always have been. Nothing has changed.

I just chuckle to Dh about the change of hearts people have had.

By now people who know me don’t want to discuss pregnancy. I’m always on a soapbox and I find that most people want to stay blissfully ignorant about the risks of hospital births, epidurals, formula, vaxing, etc. They don’t trust me, a Ph.D scientist, but they trust their M.D’s explicitly. Although Ph.D’s are the one’s doing the research.

I get tuned out quite a lot these days which is better than me having to listen to yet another person tell me not to pick up my toddler.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#39 of 45 Old 08-11-2009, 02:13 PM

I can't stand being told I can't do this or that because I'm pregnant, I can't eat or drink this or that because I'm pregnant... but then it's perfectly fine for me to clean the whole house (but can't go roller skating or bowling, which both seem less impact that cleaning my house) or be the one who picks up the sleepy five-year-old in the morning and carries him down the stairs. Bleah. No one needs to tell me what to do or what not to do. I've done the research (I'm teased by everyone I know about how much research I do) and know what is good for me and my growing babe, so everyone else can take their bossiness and shove it.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#40 of 45 Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM

In the spirit of this thread, I thought y'all might like this:

Top Ten Things to NOT Say to a Pregnant Woman
http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...06c0j1,00.html

Number 8 is particularly awkward ...

Mama to DS 11/25/09 kid.gif
Married to my truelove since 6/2/2007 fuzmalesling.gif

pos.gif <- that happened, EDD 6/28/14

#41 of 45 Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohannaInDairyland View Post
In the spirit of this thread, I thought y'all might like this:

Top Ten Things to NOT Say to a Pregnant Woman
http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...06c0j1,00.html

Number 8 is particularly awkward ...

I think I got angry from reading it and then recalling when they happened. :

People just need to leave us pregnant women alone, say nothing, unless it's doing our laundry, cleaning our house, or giving us a gift/money.

I've been pretty 'down' lately, I won't even answer the phone for anyone! Not in the mood to hear their 'accidental', upsetting comment, to hear their "why are you just laying around?" comments. Bah. I do things, I keep the house clean, have dinner ready, and keep my ass washed. What more do people want right now?!

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
#42 of 45 Old 08-11-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired007 View Post
They don’t trust me, a Ph.D scientist, but they trust their M.D’s explicitly. Although Ph.D’s are the one’s doing the research.
From one PhD research scientist to another...AMEN! The vast majority MDs really don't have a clue how to do sound scientific research.

Tessa, wife to DH and Mama to DD (3/01) and DS1 (HB-VBAC! 9/06) and DS2 (2nd HB-VBAC 10/25/09)
#43 of 45 Old 08-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First-Time-Mommy View Post
I do things, I keep the house clean, have dinner ready, and keep my ass washed. What more do people want right now?!
I WOH so I'm pretty much doing good if I get to work on time. As soon as I get home, i'ts straight to the couch. Dh has been tending to the needs of Dd lately for me (baths and stuff) and the cooking. Dora the Explorer comes on around 7 ish so that's when dd and I curl up on the couch together and while she gets into Dora's world, I drift off into la la land, basically going to sleep for the night right then and there.

I NEED 9-10 hours of sleep a night, otherwise I'm calling in the next morning. Anything less and i'm a zombie with a backache.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#44 of 45 Old 08-11-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfairy View Post
From one PhD research scientist to another...AMEN! The vast majority MDs really don't have a clue how to do sound scientific research.
So true, and what's worse is that a lot of them don't stay abreast of the research enough to know what's changed in the last 5, 10, 20 years. A lot of their knowledge is outdated. Don't get me started on dumb things doctor's say to pregnant women!

My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#45 of 45 Old 08-11-2009, 05:51 PM

This probably has already been mentioned but it happened to me on Sunday.

We were getting off a 3 hour flight from Houston to Newark and the flight attendant said, "Here comes a mom about ready to pop!!"

Really? Just wait 13 more weeks ... that's what POP looks like!

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page