Anyone else going to start being a SAHM with this LO? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there's a SAHP forum, but wanted to see if others in our DDC will be going through the same transition as me since I'm not there yet.

I'm going to be quitting the job I've had (and for the most part, liked) for 10 years to SAH with the babe. It's something I've always planned on doing, DH is totally on board, we've prepared financially as much as we can... but I know it's also going to be a big transition for me. I have no SAHM friends or mom friends even in the area, except 1 sis and a SIL. So I'm going to need to find some new friends!

Work doesn't know yet. We get zero paid mat leave, so I'll give notice and then quit before babe is born. Maybe around 36- 38 weeks.

Are you going to start being a SAHM when this LO is born?

When are you going to stop working?

Are you excited to quit? Nervous? Scared?

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#2 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 04:39 PM

Yep, I'm going to be a SAHM. I already quit working, and, I can in all honesty say I am not only nervous about having quit, but scared as well. I feel a little less 'involved', it's already lonely, ect...

Buutttt it's for my little man so I'm happy in that aspect. Plus I'll be going back once he starts school anyway, perhaps sooner, but... I'm not fond of daycares, we'll see, and there is still time to plan. This transition period, to baby, to back to work transition time-frame.

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
#3 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 04:48 PM

Yes, I'm quitting when this one is born. My work has known since early 2nd tri. It's working out well that I'll get to train my replacement and she'll get to train hers. So I feel like I'm leaving on a good note. I'd like to work right up until I deliver, maybe a reduced schedule in the last month.

It's a big jump into the unknown, even though DH and I have planned it this way since before we were married. Will I be good at it? Will DH understand how much time goes into childcare and not expect too much homemaking at first? Will I feel isolated without the regular adult contact I've become accustomed to at work?

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#4 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 PM

I didn't plan on doing it but I did with DD. I went back to work when she was 17 months old and I'm home again now (for the summer) ... but anticipating quitting my job this week. School starts again August 31 so I better do it soon.

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
#5 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 06:28 PM

I'm quitting at 36 weeks. My SPD became so severe w/ DD at 36 weeks that I couldnt' have worked longer if I wanted, and I suspect that since it's already kicking into high gear that it will be no different this time. I can hardly pick my leg up straight out in front of me! OUCH!!!

We have planned this our entire marriage (8 years) but it won't be easy financially. We will just have to adjust to having one income.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#6 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM

We had hoped I would be able to be at least a part time SAHM after our LO was born and unfortunately it was thrust upon us a bit early, when I lost my job at the end of May. As rough as it was at first, things have been going well so far and I have been looking here and there for a possible part-time position to take up around January sometime. As it gets closer I am getting more and more excited about being able to stay home and more and more thankful that I have not been working those long hours on my feet all day during this pregnancy.

Denyel & Kate Bond - Black Belt Mamas to Dekaylee born 10/29/09 - And parents to our 4-legged family including 1 Dog "Hank", 2 cats "Boris & Ahmi", and 5 Beautiful Alpacas!!
#7 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 PM

I wish this was an option for me. We have not sat down and really checked out the finances, but I think DH and I once figured out that we need slightly more than one income to feel we are comfortably keeping up with bills. I am thinking about trying to find a part time job; the good thing about my chosen career (social work) is there can be a lot of part time jobs out there (although not really right now)...the bad thing is I'm in the job I wanted from back when I was in grad school and it's looking like they're not that into letting people go part time.

Sigh.

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#8 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 PM

I SAH now and have with Ds his whole life BUT I was panning to go back to work with him BUT the night before I was to go to work my store closed I was happy and scared all at the same time. BUT it can be done you just need to learn to live differently. One thing that is hard is to feel stable that is the worst for me my STBDH is good at working on cars so that saves A LOT of money my neighbor is good at fixing things like a furnice, instaling a hot water tank, or sump pump ect.... my BIL can do a little woodworking not to much but enough if we need something along those lines fixed so all that helps to make me feel better he also does some side electronic work so that brings in some saveings/spending money and has paid for all of the baby stuff and even the baby hammock that we are ordering tonight when he gets home from work : I was planning on going to work in september when ds went to kindergarden and that was hard to geet used to the idea that I will be home again but am thrilled! It really is a rewarding job and very fun and yes can at times be boring but there are community things to do like go to the library for story hour go to the park and that is really will you will meet and find a lot of SAHM.

Congratulations mama's I will see you all over at the SAHP forum when the little beans are here

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#9 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 09:28 PM

I plan on staying home with this little girl! It has always been our plan and I am super excited, but definitely scared too. To top it all off DH might get transferred right before the baby is born so it might be a whole new place with no friends or family around

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#10 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 11:35 PM

Me! I've been a stay at home wife since the beginning of this year. Since we tried and tried to get prego and had so many appts. at the beginning of this year, I just gave it up. I had been working part time for a year or so before this one. The weird thing is, lately I've been wishing/day dreaming I had a job to go to. hmm...

I've always wanted to be a sahm though so I hope this desire goes away so that I could be happy being home. It's not like my income could ever pay for two kids in day care anyway! ha! Those of you with grandma's and MIL's to send your kids to are soo lucky!

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

#11 of 19 Old 08-11-2009, 11:41 PM

Heh, I kinda have the opposite thing happening with this little one

I've never NOT been a SAHM while pregnant and/or nursing a baby, but this time, I get to learn about the joys of double electric pumping and organizing childcare for four kids

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#12 of 19 Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieCo View Post
Those of you with grandma's and MIL's to send your kids to are soo lucky!
Amen to that! I actually really like my job (Gov't-legal) but daycare for 2 would leave me with a net pay of like $5K per year. Umm...yah...not really worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
I get to learn about the joys of double electric pumping and organizing childcare for four kids

I'm donning you with the Supermom cape!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#13 of 19 Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

yay! I'm so glad to hear that there are others in our DDC who will be SAHM's! I feel like I'm the only one in my IRL circles.

My salary would probably be half-spent on childcare, and that to me isn't worth working 8 hours for. Besides, we hope to have more kids not too far in the future, and 2 kids in daycare would mean the entire check going to daycare! Anyways, I've always wanted to be my kids primary caretaker at least til they start school.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#14 of 19 Old 08-12-2009, 02:38 PM

i worked part time wwith my son but this time im all baby no work! it Does get a bit boring during the day and now with my son in school from 8-3 i am lonely alot! but i feel that will change when my LO gets here!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#15 of 19 Old 08-12-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake View Post
i worked part time wwith my son but this time im all baby no work! it Does get a bit boring during the day and now with my son in school from 8-3 i am lonely alot! but i feel that will change when my LO gets here!

I know I was thinking what am I going to do when Ds is in school from september to novemeber!!!! I will be soooo lonely and sad my little baby is going to kindergarden so is my other baby (my nephew who is a few weeks older than Ds I took care of him all school year til july since his birth and he is going too ) they will be in the same class so that makes me happier they will have each other for that looooooonnnnnnggggg day! I was going to homeschool but I do not trust myself to stick to a schedual I am not that "grounded" I guess.

I LOVE being a SAHM it is wonderful to me! My mother stayed at home with me and worked one day a week and one day on the weekend so I was just with my father or grandmother and she thinks it is wonderful I will be home with this bean also :

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#16 of 19 Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 PM

i will be staying home and couldn't be more thrilled. luckily my man works at home so he can be there for us! i do not have any family nearby but i think we can manage. i can't wait!

Lauren

bellycast.gif 

#17 of 19 Old 08-13-2009, 05:10 PM

I have been home for 4.5 years now, ever since DD was born.
I was supposed to go back to work but just couldn't bring myself to do it.
DH was quite happy to have me home with the kids.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#18 of 19 Old 08-13-2009, 06:13 PM

I have been a stay at home wife for this entire pregnancy. I was in the middle of getting ready to start working full time within a week or so of finding out I was pregnant. In the midst of it all, I got really, really ill (morning sickness) and couldn't take the job. By the time I was feeling human again, I was already showing, and no one seems to want to hire a pregnant lady.. Not that I wanted to work once the baby is here anyway!

So I will be figuring out the SAHM thing come November as well! :0) I'm excited and grateful because I know not everyone is able to do so.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#19 of 19 Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 AM

I am super conflicted about being a SAHM. My son is 19 months and has been in daycare since he was 3 months. I don't love or even really like my job much of the time. But I have an assignment now through my leave that I do really love. Some could continue after my leave. I've told my office I plan on taking 3-4 months leave. Which is kind of a dry run for living on 1 salary - if I return to work I get to keep 6 weeks "disability pay" - if I don't return, I have to return the pay (60% of regular). Which bites - I've already paid all of the premiums. I'm hoping to maybe negiotiate a WAHM/telecommute on-call/on-demand position. Right now I am PT at 24 hours, but I must work 24 hours, even when I have no billable work and just sit in my office looking busy.

My reason for the conflict is 2-fold: 1) My son loves being at his daycare. 2) I just don't know if I'm cut out for 24/7 mommy-time. I think I might go insane.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page