After Baby Birth Control - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2009, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineymom View Post
Ok, please enlightenment. Are you saying there is some connection between vasectomy and autoimmune diseases???

This is our third and DH is planning to get one sometime after the birth. I didn't get fertile again with the last baby until 22 months, though.
Yes, there is a link between a vas and autoimmune diseases, among other things.

Just a quick google brought up a few websites, but I'm not sure how reliable they are since I did my research on this several years ago and was a little more careful about getting unbiased sources as much as possible. But the bottom line is that I just can't "let" my husband do anything to his body that even has the slightest chance of causing an autoimmune issue - I've seen first hand with my mom and her RA what can happen to a person and I just can't risk it - no matter how small the risk.

http://www.dontfixit.org/

http://www.ccli.org/nfp/contraception/vasectomy.php

http://ihealthbulletin.com/blog/2007...-brain-damage/

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 03:06 PM

i'm not sure. we've always used nfp, but this is supposed to be our last. dh has always said he'll get a vas. once we're done, but it seems so .... final? i think we'll start out with nfp & then decided if we really are done or not and proceed accordingly.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
Old 08-23-2009, 05:50 PM

No clue what we'll do here yet, most likely just pulling out. We've done NFP for most of our 5 years of marriage with great success (got pregnant each cycle we tried and avoided all the other times), but that was before a baby or nursing...

I tried the pill and shot a few times with no luck and swore I would never use a hormonal method again. However, I did use the nuvaring for a few months after a miscarriage because I was so freaked out about the idea of a pregnancy and I didn't mind it. That's definitely out because of nursing/supply concerns and I know that we'd like another one so we're okay with a baby sooner than "planned".

My Mom didn't get her cycles back until a few months until after nursing ended (and we all nursed passed a year and a half), so I'm half-expecting that as well.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:10 PM

My birth control will be abstinence! It took sooo long for me to get the courage to "do it" after DD was born... after that, I am not sure. I think we are done after this one, but I am not crazy about the pill. I will be looking into other options... maybe DH will get neutered.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 PM

I have no clue I hate condoms they pull parts that should not be pulled on me! I cannot do BCP as that is why I am pregnant right now and also why I have my amazing 5 year old Ds! So we will see...... BUT I am done for at least 5ish years!!!!!

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 AM

good thread. i am thinking about this as well, as we simply CANNOT have another after this one! I've been thinking about the copper IUD and/or DH getting a V....probably more toward the IUD and less toward the V, for aforementioned and other reasons.

It's hard to figure out what is the best method of BC, when really, our bodies are designed for optimum fertility, so anything we do to interfere with that can have unpleasant consequences....sigh. I want to be all natural and take the best care of my body, but charting/NFP etc just aren't going to cut it for us... :

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 08-24-2009, 09:29 PM

Dh and I are talking about BOTH vasectomy AND Essure...just to make very, very certain.

If you're interested in fertility awareness, read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. This method works IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY. Example: There is a rule that as long as you had a thermal shift 12-16 days before, you are safe the first 5 days of the next cycle. The baby I am pregnant with was conceived from unprotected sex on Day 6. However, we had been using this method off and on, mostly on, for 7 years and only had one child and she was planned.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
NFP- have used the whole time and my kids woke several times anight until they were about 2 and none of my babies have been accident. Last time I mostly just did mucus and same w/ second time, works for us.
. Us, too.

I highly recommend taking a class and getting started with a consultant. I learned a lot more quickly and asked questions right away and my husband learned it at the same time, it was great. Catholic Charities does these for free in my area and they offer them to anyone. (I am not Catholic).

I learned so much more about my own body and appreciated the way it encourages couples to make the decision together each month around ovulation time (do we want a child now or not and then act accordingly, ); that took a lot of pressure off of me to feel like I was putting my husband out or something.

I also liked how there was a recommended time to bond doing non-sexual things (good for our relationship) during the time we could conceive but were choosing not to. I know it's more than most couples bargain for (most are usually just looking for that thing that will keep pregnancy away), but it looks at a marriage or relationship holistically, really. There are lots of benefits, beyond just avoiding pregnancy. Can ya tell I am a big Fan?

If you read about the method they teach, it's as effective as any other method of contraception, and can be used to achieve as well as avoid pregnancy. It worked and still works great for us.

Here's the website. <LINK>

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 AM

No more BC for me ever! Hubby got the big V a couple weeks ago!!!!

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:24 PM
pjs

Nada! We're open to whomever is coming.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 PM

DH is happily 'getting the snip snip' as he calls it. He's been telling all kinds of people, which I think is kinda funny! Do they really want to know...is it any of their business?

I think it's a great solution, as we definitely only want two. I'm glad he's on board!

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 AM

We're planning on *gulp* nothing. I didn't get my cycle back until 20 months with DD, so unless this baby seems to nurse significantly less than DD, we're doing no birth control.

If I feel like the kiddo isn't nursing as much, it'll be condoms until 18 months
Old 08-26-2009, 01:46 AM

im SO glad my DH said hed get the big V!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM

I really don't want to take the pill, either. We agreed on condoms. Even if they fail, I feel like that would be OK because we think we want 2 and this is our first. After that, DH says he will get a vasectomy when the time feels right.

I would potentially consider IUD, too, in the future. Just not now for me.

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:05 PM

I've been wondering about this too. Before LO was conceived I had bad endometriosis and had a laparoscopy. During surgery they found my copper IUD had caused uterine polyps. After that, the dr said I had 6 months to get pregnant or my option was to go through a round of hormones. But I can't take birth control pills or any kind of hormone because I tend to clot. My first 2 kids were condom babies and my last shot was an IUD, which now caused polyps.

My dh and I have discussed my tubes getting tied, but I don't want anything else messed around with. I know it sounds silly, but if I have endo after the LO is born, my tubes or something is going to go anyway.

I asked my dh to get himself the big V and he's not to thrilled about it. I'm not sure why when he insists this is the last child.

I did Fertility Awareness at first to chart when the endo was bad in regards to ovulatating. So when I was told 6 months or else, I charted and conceived around Valentine's Day. Could I do this until menopause? I don't know.

We're still going around the issue, but my ever vocal extended family (my side, not his) wants me to get my tubes tied because that's what they did. To have that kind of nosiness around, I feel like have 3 more kids just to spite them.

User Tag List