After Baby Birth Control - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone thinking of this already? I definately am because I feel definately done - this is baby #3. With that said however, I am not really into getting my tubes tied (even though I'm having a c/s) and my dh is not at all convinced about vasectomies. So we're back on the birth control talk ...

I have a long list of things I don't/can't do, mainly because I can't take any hormonal birth control methods at all. So it seems to leave us with condoms (which we don't like) or sponge/diaphragm (which my OB says don't have "as good" of a protection rate).

I have never been educated on natural family planning to avoid pregnancy, I am a little unsure if it would work for me since my cycles vary in length by up to 5 days. And also if I can be disciplined enough to do it.

I am curious what you other mamas are doing or not planning on doing.

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong DDC - I would love to know your opinions though too and see what more people are doing than just the October moms.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 04:14 PM

I wonder what we're going to do about this, too. Except we're not done, just starting. But with breastfeeding we don't want to do hormonal for me, and we're just not big fans of any other methods, so I don't know what we'll do.

We used fertility awareness to prevent when I first went off hormonal BC, and then to conceive this LO, but I wonder how effective it can be with lots of night wakings. And as effective as it is with perfect use, I really don't think it's a method I would use if I were 100% done having children.

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:17 PM

We took care of that a couple months ago! DH had the big V!
I'm glad because although I am very happy about her...this little one was a condom baby, lol.
Deb

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 08-20-2009, 04:22 PM

This has become something of a question for us.

It took us 2 years and 2 m/cs and 6 rounds of clomid to conceive DS.
Got af back at 4 months despite full time nursing all day and night! Stopped nursing at 7 months. Regular af but no bc. When DS was 2, we decided to try again. 1 round of clomid got us DD.

With DD, again got af back at 4 months despite crazy amounts of nursing. Stopped nursing at 12 months plus a week. PG, ON OUR OWN! (SHOCKER!!) when DD was 13 months.

So, while I would like more kids, I certainly don't want another one right away. DH is unsure about having any more. I have no idea what to do. NFP won't work for us since I nurse all night long for quite some time. I found that any night waking screwed up my temps.

So, short story long.... I have no idea what we are going to do just yet!!

However, if I knew we were totally done, meaning neither of us didn't want any more children, I would opt for tube tieing if I was getting a csection or a vas for DH.

Kelly - Wife to a wonderful man and Mom to a c-sect boy (3/3/05), hospital vbac.gif girl (12/20/07), h20homebirth.gif girl (11/4/09), expecting #4 EDD 7/15/13. We homeschool.gif
Old 08-20-2009, 04:57 PM

NFP- have used the whole time and my kids woke several times anight until they were about 2 and none of my babies have been accident. Last time I mostly just did mucus and same w/ second time, works for us.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well definitely nothing hormal, including the Mirena. Probably NFP and a diaphram. I don't want another child for at least 3 more years, so hopefully those methods don't get old.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 08-20-2009, 05:33 PM

I can't do hormonal, for sure. It messes with me too badly. Condoms irritate the heck out of me, except for the expensive ones and what a pain. Haha. I used natural family planning to avoid with my husband, except for the fact that Valentine's day came around and we decided to be a bit risky even though I knew I was ovulating. Which is why I am in the November DDC. I'm totally all for using natural family planning and charting, but I am afraid of slipping up and getting pregnant again -- I'm pretty sure I am done after this one. I've been playing around with the idea of the copper iud, and I am hoping that hubby will eventually get a vasectomy.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
Old 08-20-2009, 05:41 PM

We're only having 1, but that was a mutual agreement. I always wanted a son, and I'm getting that. He always wanted a son, and he's getting that. I think we've come to terms that he is getting a Vasectomy, that was his decision and brought it up to me, but still, something inside of me thinks it's a bad idea. Who knows we may decide on another kid 3/4 years down the road and never have the chance if he gets fixed, but then again, if 3/4 years passes and we still don't want another child, yet get pregnant, then we'd be wondering why he didn't get the Vasectomy. Complicated.

If he doesn't get it than I suppose I'll just put myself on a birth control of some sort. I don't mind condoms, but I don't really like them either. I could live with using them, but don't really want to have to, yk?

Too bad we don't have a switch that lets us decide WHEN we want to conceive and when we don't. What a shame.

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
Old 08-20-2009, 05:41 PM

I was on the pill for years and am NEVER EVER going back. When I got off about 2.5 years ago, we got a variety pack from babeland.com and found 2 or 3 we liked. They aren't that expensive and they are worlds better than the store bought variety, which we both disliked. I can hardly tell the different. When we started having unprotected sex I was almost put out because it leaves me with a mess...that's how good the condoms were. And I've never had one break on me.

So we'll just go back to our condoms right away, because too many women in my family have gotten pregnant while breast feeding, sometimes 2 months after giving birth!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 PM

im D.O.N.E hehe my hubby willbe getting the Big V! yay! unles i have to have a cer in that case i will get my tubes tied

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:07 PM

have you considered a non-hormonal IUD? I am considering this when we are done. this is our 1st and we'll do NFP between kids I think. when we are really, really done, DH will do the big V.

-Katrina

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 08-20-2009, 06:10 PM

I haven't been on birth control in years, between being pregnant with DS and DH's deployment schedule. I really don't want to start taking the pill again after all this time, but I don't want to get pg again and DH isn't deploying anytime soon. We'll probably just do a mix of NFP and use condoms for awhile so we don't get an oops after a few months.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 08-20-2009, 06:18 PM

We have been seriously discussing vasectomy for DH. This is our third baby and we just have so much on our plate. This has been an extremely hard pregnancy for us (emotionally) and I just can't see going through it again. One thing that is lingering is that DH is turning 30 in a few weeks and I'm 26. We are still young... will we want more in 5 years? Life changes so fast...

We may use LAM for a while, my fertility takes a while to come back. This baby was conceived due to user error with FAM, and I'm honestly just not sure I have the energy for it anymore. I teach the method and love it, but I just don't know that my heart can take the "what if" anymore. It would be really nice to have something permenant.

FWIW I considered getting an IUD after each of my other two but our insurance didn't cover it. We have thought about paying out of pocket for one until we're ready for the final decision.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:22 PM

Condoms most likely until we decide we're done. I won't do anything hormonal ever again and I'm not to keen on a copper IUD so...condoms it is. They don't bother us.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:30 PM

My mom used an IUD for years and it caused her to have horrible, painful periods that lasted 10 days- 2 weeks the whole time she had it in. That's why I am not considering it. Maybe it was just a fluke, but we're enough alike in the reproductive department for me to be leery.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 08-20-2009, 07:22 PM

hmmm....i'd love for dh to have the big V but don't know that he'll agree to it. It would be so easy if he would. I know for us we're ok for a bunch of months with bfing. Then we'll do a combination of NFP and P&P. Seems like it's worked for us for most of our married life.

Dh is 44 and we need to be done. I wish we were in our 20's or early 30's then we'd have a couple more.

No IUD or hormonal birth control here....makes me crazy lol.

Meredith, wife to Jimmy, mom to J and Willie and welcoming Emily Grace...sometime mid november. Go Braves and Falcons!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 PM

I am thinking IUD. The technology is great these days, and all my friends and family have used them and liked them. Before this one we used Fertility awareness method. Good stuff btw.. But I couldnt get pregnant until we stopped trying, so If I want to wait for 3-4 yeas to try again then I won't be paying attention and boom #2 will be on her/his way. Not willing to take that risk quite yet. I think being in control will be my method.

Self employed 38 year old Mother of one 5 year old super heroand wife to a lovely DH who is my hero..
Old 08-20-2009, 10:06 PM

DH really wants a V, but I've pretty much put my foot down about it - I have enough autoimmune diseases in my family not to chance fate by doing something that is known to trigger them. So unless DH decides to jump on a fence like he's been threatening - we'll be doing NFP & pull & pray again Which will likely yield us another baby

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

you guys are great at responding ... it may sound odd but i love reading what everyone is doing because there really seems to be no perfect birth control method. well, other than abstinence but i'm not so sure dh is up for that one.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 AM

ha! ha! abstinence! my first instinct was to say....umm the baby will be enough birth control for a while! lol

Meredith, wife to Jimmy, mom to J and Willie and welcoming Emily Grace...sometime mid november. Go Braves and Falcons!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:26 AM

As a recently PP mom, I went with the copper IUD. My midwife inserted it at home during my 6 week visit. I was nursing the baby on the couch when she inserted it.

I'm only 5 months PP now, but it is WONDERFUL. I can't feel it in the slightest. My partner can't feel it at all during sex, we kept the strings very long and they softened up and you can't feel them at all. I LOVE being able to not worry about BC at all, just like when pregnant. I get very slight spotting every once in awhile, but nothing I even need to wear a cloth pad for.

We were using a diaphragm when we got our little wonderful 5 month old surprise. I'd like my next baby to be planned, if at all possible!

BTW-- My midwife ordered the IUD from canada and it only cost her $100. For some reason (she's an angel) she didn't even charge me for it.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:43 AM

I really don't know what we're going to do. Obviously, what we were doing before (loosely NFP, condoms+pull out) didn't work, so we need to figure SOMETHING out. We don't have health insurance, and absolutely, positively cannot be in the position of paying out of pocket for all of these medical bills again *any time soon*.

That said, I don't do well on the pill at all. It makes me super grumpy. Soo .. I really don't know. It's tempting to get the Mirena, but I don't really know how that compares to the pill as far as hormonal side effects and if it would also make me grumpy haha. And then again, I have no insurance so that would be another expense done out of pocket..ugh!

So, basically, I have no idea. But I should probably start looking into it a little more seriously now that I think about it..

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

Old 08-21-2009, 08:47 AM

We'll be going back to using FAM. It won't be easy while breastfeeding, but I always had long and irregular cycles.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 AM

if you dont do well on the pill DO NOT GET THE MIRENA! the hormones in it are 10times worse and the weight gain is horrid i HATED mine so bad! i could feel the strings all the time and so could DH =-(
for us its the big v!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:17 PM

Honestly, having a baby is pretty good birth control in our house - DH and I are often too tired to think of doing anything more intimate than watching the last season of Battlestar Galactica on DVD.

I think IUDs are icky and that we shouldn't put plastic or copper in our bodies for such a long time, especially not something that looks pointy and uncomfortable (and my friend told me her she and her DH can both FEEL her IUD when they have sex). I feel 'done' with hormonal BC since I spent much of my 20s on it. The diaphragm and spermicidal jelly we got after DS got used a grand total of 3 times because I swear I am allergic to nonoxynol-9 (or however you spell it). I had LAM for 19 months with DS and we wanted to get pregnant again after he was about 15 months old, so I think breastfeeding worked really well for us as BC for a year and a half (but that's NOT a guaranteed method!). We'd probably use FAM and non-spermicidal condoms because they are the easiest to deal with. DH would be happy to get a vasectomy after this second babe is born, but I think leaving the option for a third open would be nice for a few more years. I think if we hit around 40 and there isn't a third, he'd get it done at that point.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Old 08-21-2009, 06:25 PM

We are unsure here, which means we will probably do nothing and have another baby! We haven't done any form of bc since DD was born. DD and DS are 21 mo apart and these two will be 24 mo apart. So really breastfeeding has worked well for me for at least a year both times. And I like the spacing I have. I want one more after this one but DH says he is done, and then says he knows we will have more, so we will see. My feeling is that he is unwilling to do any form of bc and would rather "chance" it for another. But I am sure after that he will be looking into the V. He talked about it recently, but it is really hard to make that kind of decision at 25 I think. At least for us, I don't want to close the door while we are so young still. You never know what a few years will do!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 PM

We'll be going back to NFP. We use the Couple to Couple League method/guidelines, and they now have a course specifically for breastfeeding postpartum moms. So we'll take the course and learn how to manage with the night feeds and all. www.ccli.org if you're interested...

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post
DH really wants a V, but I've pretty much put my foot down about it - I have enough autoimmune diseases in my family not to chance fate by doing something that is known to trigger them. So unless DH decides to jump on a fence like he's been threatening - we'll be doing NFP & pull & pray again Which will likely yield us another baby
Ok, please enlightenment. Are you saying there is some connection between vasectomy and autoimmune diseases???

This is our third and DH is planning to get one sometime after the birth. I didn't get fertile again with the last baby until 22 months, though.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:57 PM

Ack, I should really be thinking about this. Both pregnancies were conceived on the first try. Mirena made me sooo sooo sick I had to have it removed after a week! What a waste of money .
I don't do well on any hormonal methods, and am not a huge condom fan. We used a diaphragm before our DD, but I've heard it is less effective after having a baby. Plus I have pelvic organ prolapse, so not sure if it would work anyways. We aren't done having kids, we want 1-2 more, but I really want a 2.5-3 year space between this one and the next.

Forest wandering mama treehugger.gif to Z 14/02/08 homebirth.jpgand T 30/11/09 h20homebirth.gif.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:58 PM

Oh and I got my period back 4 months PP despite ecological breastfeeding, so I'm pretty fertile... which is good when you want to be, but kinda a pain at other times

Forest wandering mama treehugger.gif to Z 14/02/08 homebirth.jpgand T 30/11/09 h20homebirth.gif.

User Tag List