Buying used vs. new - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-22-2009, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For so many reasons, cost being a huge part, I generally try to buy household items used before I buy new. I've found that some things work well to buy used, and some things are just better to research and get exactly what you want. This will be our first baby, so I'm seeking advice about what I should avoid buying used.

Have already bought used:
Clothing
Bumpo Seat
Crib (from my sister, very good condition, newish)
Diaper champ
Boppy pillow

Will probably buy used:
High chair
Stroller / Jogging stroller
Crib sheets
Swing
Bouncy seat

Not Sure about:
Breast pump - I know you can replace all the non milky parts... but still feels sorta weird to me
Cloth Diapers
Car Seat - sister has a one year old infant car seat that I can have, no accidents, but everything I've read says NEVER to buy one used
Sling - had a friend say the one she bought was "stretched out". No clue here

Thinking we'll buy new/register for-
Rocking Chair/Ottoman
Bedding (mother in law really wants to purchase this)
Food Mill to make baby food
Humidifier
Changing pad/cover

Thinking we're not going to buy at all-
Baby tub
Diaper bag (going to just try using a backpack)
Washcloths - unless there is a good reason you can't use normal ones
Wipe warmer - going to use cloth and a squirt bottle

Going to put off buying until she arrives-
Bottles (want to figure out what she'll like, will be for breast milk)

Part of me just hates the whole consumer engine that surrounds this milestone, but at the same time there is this vestigial part of my brain that compels me to collect it all. Any wisdom you can share would be most welcome.
#2 of 20 Old 08-22-2009, 05:22 AM

I've never had any issues getting slings used - all but two of mine are either used or wraps that I made myself.

I've also never had any issues getting cloth diapers used though I recommend getting new diaper covers if you get prefolds since they'll last longer. I've never had used diaper covers last through more than one child and we EC most of the time. Used prefolds are just as good as new ones - maybe with a stain or two here or there - and I don't see any reason to get them new if you can find them used. Just wash them well in hot water (and whatever soap/detergent/etc that makes you feel safest) before using them.

Also, if you even just buy prefolds used then you'll have more money to try out different covers and fancier all-in-one or pocket diapers for when you're out and about if you're interested in that. I also have friends who have bought used AIOs and pockets and such and been satisfied. I'm happy with my prefolds, snappis, and covers so I have no personal experience with the other types.

I have used a backpack instead of a diaper bag so far with both my children and it has worked just fine

We have two used high chairs and I have no complaints - we don't use high chairs until they're sitting up well on their own (until then I have them in a ring sling while eating so I can nurse hands-free) so we didn't need anything fancy. The ones we have don't have trays so they sit at the table with us and I like it that way! Takes up less space too...

I would be fine getting a used car seat from someone I knew and trusted, but wouldn't buy one used from a stranger just in case, and I don't buy new unless I absolutely have to so that's saying something!

Best wishes!

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#3 of 20 Old 08-22-2009, 09:56 AM

Some friends and I share baby stuff and we're fine with sharing car seats as well. We know the history and know they're safe so it's no worry. If it's from your sister (SIL?) and you know the history then don't worry about it at all. As long as it's within the 6 year "expiration" period, that is.

Breastpump: If it was from sister/SIL it would be ok. If it's a Medela PIS or PISA you should NOT buy used from a stranger b/c milk can backup through the tubes and get into the motor. Tubes can be replaced but there's the i-don't-know factor with the motor. If it's a Lactina or Symphony those are meant for multiple users and there is no way to get the back up or germiness. I can't speak for other brands of pumps though.

Used cloth diapers are fine; just wash them thoroughly when you get them. 97% of DD's stash was used. Baby's is mostly new but I'm making them; can't really go "used" when you make them yourself! I had all the materials on hand from making DD some diapers so it worked out well. I highly recommend going used in this department to save some $$.

Do you have any stores nearby where you can try different types of slings? You might like one over another.

Your list is very organized!

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
#4 of 20 Old 08-22-2009, 12:04 PM

I am also into finding great deals on nice quality used products. I have spent the last month watching craigslist for the glider/ottoman I wanted! I have requested better pictures and tried to negotiate on 2 others, but last night I went and looked/paid for a set that was just posted yesterday. After looking around I knew it was a great deal and I feel proud for saving $500+ on the set! I couldn't even buy a cheap one for the same price
I vote used on the glider/ottoman too!

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#5 of 20 Old 08-22-2009, 12:25 PM

Breast pump - I got one used from my mom's neighbor. We replaced all the outside parts. I know that supposedly stuff can get on the inside, but I was so thankful not to have to spend $300 on a breastpump that it honestly didn't bug me. I passed on that same pump (with all new parts) to my sister, who used it successfully as well.
Cloth Diapers - Buying used has never bothered me. Depending on what kind you buy, they are very easily sterilized and thoroughly cleaned. Also, buying used allows you to try more "expensive" brands without breaking the bank. I would personally just go ahead and buy prefolds new because they are cheap as it is, but for some cool AIO's or pockets, why not used?
Car Seat - I would not buy or use a used car seat.
Sling - I don't see why a used sling would make much of a difference. I guess if it was a pouch style and it stretched out considerably, but even then you can twist the back to make it smaller. I had a used ring sling and it was just like new! I'd take a used sling any day.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#6 of 20 Old 08-22-2009, 12:50 PM

I have personally bought everything new but the swing. I'm a little anal about anything that has cloth on it, unless it can be removed and changed. Anything plastic/wood/metal can be easily cleaned, but cloth, even if washed, always gets to me. I find it's okay as long as I can not whatsoever find a stain somewhere, but sometimes it's still salvageable and the stain(s) can be removed; like on baby clothes. So if it is still in good condition I would take it and make sure it is clean, if not, I return it/give it back/throw away, or give away. Just my personal thoughts about used items.

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
#7 of 20 Old 08-22-2009, 01:37 PM

i have been thrifting a lot of our baby stuff. i have about 40 cloth diapers, kushies aio, bumgenius one size pockets, and kissaluvs contours with covers. i got all of these in excellent used condition through craigslist and ebay. i have found that alot of people invest in cloth and then find out that it isn't for them and sell off there stash cheap. don't get me wrong, a lot of used cloth diapers hold there value extremely well but if you are quick, you can save a lot of money. other things i have bought/been given used are clothing, blankets, washcloths, towels, crib sheets, crib, infant car seat (from SIL) and britax marathon (from my besty) something i am definitely going to get used is a stroller. i have also bought a few used wraps, and am looking at a used ergo. i also have a used medela from a very good friend.

my brand new items are some clothing, plant based chem. free bathtub (don't want any chemicals leeching out from the warm water) pack n play, baby swing, and high chair. all of which i got at my baby shower. i finally feel a little prepared!

Lauren

bellycast.gif 

#8 of 20 Old 08-22-2009, 02:01 PM

I'm not very picky this time around when it comes to new v used. This is probably a second baby thing, but so far this kid has nothing new except receiving blankets (I just couldn't wrap him in DD's pink flannel ones) and a couple new diaper covers (which were extremely clearanced). He'll never need to know!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#9 of 20 Old 08-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Except a used Didymos, everything was given to us, either used or bought new.

Regarding Breastpumps: You should check with your insurance, if they cover it. Some do with a doctors perscription.

If we had relatives I would totally get their used carseats, but I don't want to buy one from a stranger, where I don't know the history of the seat. That's one thing, I would tend to go for new.

Clothdiapers: except prefolds, everything we bought is "gently used".

We are going to skip buying: high chair, Stroller / Jogging stroller, Crib sheets
Swing, Bouncy seat, Rocking Chair, Baby Food Mill (if you have other things on hand, I don't see the point of buying a special one for the baby, plus you could hold off until 6mo after birth with that one), Changing Pad (just use old towls), Humidifier (just use a pot with hot water, that's what we've been doing for years).

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#10 of 20 Old 08-22-2009, 04:26 PM

i buy alot used it doesnt bother me but i wouldnt buy a breastpump seeing as i dont use one ok get ready to laugh at me
when my milk is in i can litterly milk myself like a cow takes me about 5mins to get 8oz my DH said its the funnyest looking thing ever to see me hunched over milking my Tets as he calls them but hey no breast pump needed =-)

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#11 of 20 Old 08-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake View Post
when my milk is in i can litterly milk myself like a cow takes me about 5mins to get 8oz
That's awesome!!!

I have to beg and plead with mine to get even a few ounces out! :

I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#12 of 20 Old 08-23-2009, 02:26 AM

ive oten thought about donateing milk as i seem to have such a over abundance

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#13 of 20 Old 08-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole915 View Post

Have already bought used:
Clothing
Bumpo Seat
Crib (from my sister, very good condition, newish)
Diaper champ
Boppy pillow- The boppy is the only thing I would be leary about buying used.
If it is like mine ( one solid stuffed piece of cloth) it is next to impossible to clean properly.

Will probably buy used: All of this sounds good to me.
High chair
Stroller / Jogging stroller
Crib sheets
Swing
Bouncy seat

Not Sure about:
Breast pump - I know you can replace all the non milky parts... but still feels sorta weird to me. As long as it was one that is ment to be shared by multiple women I wouldn't have a problem. Ie the ones they rent / hospital pumps.
Cloth Diapers
Car Seat - sister has a one year old infant car seat that I can have, no accidents, but everything I've read says NEVER to buy one used

I wouldn't buy a used one normally, but I would from someone close like a sister that I trust
Sling - had a friend say the one she bought was "stretched out". No clue here
I think it would depend on the type of sling. I can see some of the stretch material slings getting out of shape after alot of use.

Thinking we'll buy new/register for-
Rocking Chair/Ottoman
Bedding (mother in law really wants to purchase this)

Food Mill to make baby food- I wouldn't buy one new personally but take this with a grain of salt as I do baby led solids and don't do pureed baby food.
If I was going to buy one I would probably look for one used.

Humidifier- Maybe I am missing something but why do you need a humidifier?
Changing pad/cover

Thinking we're not going to buy at all-
Baby tub Never used one of these ecept for a couple of times with DD
Diaper bag (going to just try using a backpack)I always liked a back pack better
Washcloths - unless there is a good reason you can't use normal ones
Not really the baby ones are just softer and thinner
Wipe warmer - going to use cloth and a squirt bottle

Going to put off buying until she arrives-
Bottles (want to figure out what she'll like, will be for breast milk)

Part of me just hates the whole consumer engine that surrounds this milestone, but at the same time there is this vestigial part of my brain that compels me to collect it all. Any wisdom you can share would be most welcome.
shakenbake I can do that too but it just about kills my wrist and arm eventually Wanting an electric pump this time around

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#14 of 20 Old 08-23-2009, 01:32 PM

A used car seat from a sister is a no brainer to me. If it is only a year old and from your sister with for sure no accidents, there seems to be no reason why it wouldn't be safe. It would be just like reusing a car seat for a sibling. And it would save a ton of money.
#15 of 20 Old 08-23-2009, 06:10 PM

I would NEVER buy a used breastpump, I have bought used cloth diapers in the past but they had to be free from stains or it just creeps me out. If your sis has a carseat I would totally use it since its 1 year old and never been in an accident. If it was past the experation or in an accident I would pass on it but thats not the case. I have bought used baby carriers with no problems so I would if they are in EUC. Good luck!

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#16 of 20 Old 08-23-2009, 06:39 PM

On your slings issue, I would check around to see if there's a babywearing group in your area. You can check out the various types of carriers (some even have a lending library) and most will loan you a baby to play with too. Your local LLL moms may have a few types of slings to try to. Yet another reason to get your booty to a meeting, ASAP!

As far as buying a used pump, unless it is an Ameda or a Lansinoh, I wouldn't. The Ameda and Lansinoh's are closed systems, meaning the milk can't back up, just be sure to buy your own collection kit. The Medela pumps (unless you rent a Lactina or a Symphony) are open and it's nearly impossible to sterilize where milk can get. Personally, I would rent.
#17 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 AM

hmm....my opinion may be skewed from being so broke for so long, but I don't have a problem with anything used for baby except a carseat...well and maybe a crib, but i think cribs are kinda pointless, used or new

Dipes: i mainly use prefolds, which are supercheap to buy new. Then you can stretch your budget on nice covers that are used. I mean, take imse vimse bumpy covers for example--if you want a minimum of, say, 5 per size--maybe in NB, S, and M (assuming jr. potty-learns early or is a slim child--at $12 a pop, that's a lot of $$. You could get cheaper covers new, or nicer covers used Personally I like to buy covers that i know work--esp. as I limit myself to prefolds, the covers HAVE to do a good job!

carseats: here is where I am anal. I am all for saving a buck, and you won't see any fancy velour-printed marathons in my car but i absolutely will spend whatever i have to ensure that i'm getting a safe, quality seat that works in my vehicle. if you can get a used seat from someone you TRUST, and it works for your child and in your car, awesome. if you have even a sliver of doubt, go get the right seat. if you're ever in a wreck you will be glad you did.

Slings: i have never had a prob buying these used--i would never have been able to afford a babyhawk any other way!

baby clothes: i actually prefer used--and i have a good reason i surely can't afford organic cotton or chemical-free baby clothes, and crisp new clothes are full of formaldehyde and other chemicals in conventionally processed cotton or synthetic cloth. used clothes have been washed many times before, and so they are less likely to offgas toxic chemicals for baby to breathe in.

breastpumps: well, i imagine i'll be getting a loaner pump from WIC when I go back to work, and that will surely be used. I've also worked in a store that rents out medela and ameda hospital-grade pumps, and had to clean them myself. if you're getting a manual pump, just make sure all the parts are in EUC, and boil it to sanitize. other electric pumps might not be as straightforward (i.e. milk backing up into the motor, etc), so i might be more cautious with an "in-between" grade pump (i.e. not manual or hospital grade).

this post is now way too long, so i will leave it at that!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#18 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

You ladies rock. Thanks so much for the perspectives. Great to know I'm not the only one buying used stuff. Just seems so wasteful to buy everything new just to have it end up in a landfill. And omg, i just read that sentence and realized I have turned into my hippie mother.

I am going to go ahead with my sister's car seat, as I have zero doubt about it. Loved to hear that buying the cloth diapers used is kosher, my husband was all weirded out about it, he just keeps asking if I'd wear used underwear. Pshh, boys.

Also, great info on the breast pumps, I had no idea that the milk could actually back up into the machine. We'll look at other options.

Thanks again!! I really appreciate it!!

-Nicole
#19 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 08:50 AM

I had trouble nursing last time (I especially had trouble pumping) so we are renting a hospital breast pump for the first month to see how it goes. I would hate to register for a PIS or something and have it not work for us.... other than that, we will buy some stuff used if we don't have a shower. Anything that is a safety thing, like a carseat, I would only get used if I knew the person.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#20 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
baby clothes: i actually prefer used--and i have a good reason i surely can't afford organic cotton or chemical-free baby clothes, and crisp new clothes are full of formaldehyde and other chemicals in conventionally processed cotton or synthetic cloth. used clothes have been washed many times before, and so they are less likely to offgas toxic chemicals for baby to breathe in.
This crossed my mind the other day- I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page