Zoloft 3rd trimester? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else stopping zoloft now that they are in the 3rd trimester? I stopped cold turkey last week and it has not been pleasant emotionally. It would be okay if I didn't have people to take care of but I suppose the emotional hardship I have to go through is better than the baby having breathing issues at birth. Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#2 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 AM

I went off it for 2 weeks when I did not have insurance, and it was not pretty. I have my bad days now even though I am back on it, but I was in such a bad place emotionally that I feel that the depression is bad for the baby too. I am on a kinda big dose (I think- at least triple what I started on)- I take 75 mg because I don't want to take prozac. I may be a more severe case, but I am afraid to go off it again.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#3 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 11:39 AM

I take 50mg and my ob said that it is still safe in the 3rd trimester and wants to keep me on it. I also checked in the PPD forum here and they all said the same thing that it is okay in the 3rd trimester! That one thing that doctors worry about is the small small chance of baby needing a little oxygen after birth. But they cannot say for sure that it is from the Zoloft because it is such a small percentage. Ds needed oxygen and I was not on anything Honestly I think for me that if I was off of it at this time in my life and how crazy my emotions are on it it would do more harm to Ds and this baby and my life! I know myself I have fought depression more than once and I know I do still need to be on it My ob does not prescribe Prozac only Zoloft I asked him it Prozac was safer and he doesn't feel comfortable prescribeing it.

I am sorry that you are having a hard time off of Zoloft if you need you can PM me to vent anytime

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#4 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 PM

Starc-

I am so sorry that you are feeling so bad! I am a therapist, and have worked with people taking psychotropic medications for many, many years (and have taken some SSRI's myself about 6 or 7 years ago).

The only thing I have to say is that stopping Zoloft or any other SSRI cold turkey isn't a great idea at ALL. There is a well documeted (although not well publicized) effect called the Serotonin Discontinuation Syndrome that happens to many when they stop cold turkey. It can also happen to people when they titrate off of a medication slowly, but it's more rare. This is a miserable physical and emotional experience when you are NOT pregnant, so being pregnant and going cold turkey can be miserable.

I would consult with your psychiatrist, or the physician who prescribed your medication for direction on how to get off the med. safely if you really need/want to. Unfortunately, many internal med docs and family docs just don't understand what a big deal it is to come off of an SSRI though (they pass them out like candy without discussing the benefits AND the risks....but that is another story).

Although many people DO decide to discontinue their SSRI, there are many women who BEGIN taking one, especially Zoloft, in the 3rd trimester if they have a high risk for severe PPD. For those folks the depression risk pre and post partum is more harmful to their babies then any potential side effects of the meds. Just something to consider. Also, Zoloft, because it has been around so long is considered one of the safest SSRI's in pregnancy-- although there is always controversy in that as well since the docs/scientists really don't quite understand how the meds work other then that they block the reuptake of serotonin in the receptors and keep more circulating in the "brain" (and actually, 80 to 90% of Serotonin is in your gut--but again, I digress!)

There is no one "good/correct answer"...so I wish you luck and hope you feel better!

PS- Pardon any spelling errors...I am running out the door and needed to type this quickly!
#5 of 9 Old 09-10-2009, 12:39 AM

Starc - I'm sorry you're feeling so crummy. I have quit Zoloft cold turkey before and it was not pretty. I have also tapered off very slowly, which was definitely better but still really hard. Ultimately, despite 2 years of trying everything under the sun by way of alternative treatments, I went back on the meds about 4 years ago because nothing else seemed to help and every single day was such a struggle for me.

I went for a consult with the maternal psychiatry folks at Massachusetts General before I got pregnant, and because of my history (long history of depression helped tremendously by Zoloft but consistently relapsing when off of it, bipolar father who committed suicide) they recommended that I stay on it once I got pregnant. I'm currently 28 weeks along and I take 75mg of Zoloft daily. I've thought about tapering down to 50 during the 3rd trimester, but I honestly don't know how much difference it will make for the baby (and I really don't think anyone knows) and it would probably make a big difference for me. Actually, I worry more about postpartum than these last 3 months because I've been feeling pretty good emotionally throughout my pregnancy. Whenever I reduce my dose or stop altogether, it can take a looooong time after I start back up to get back to where I was before the change. So I'm concerned that, while my brain chemistry seems to like pregnancy, it won't take so kindly to post-partum hormone madness and I really don't want to end up in a major depression with a newborn in the depths of winter!

I don't know if that's helpful to hear my situation, but I wanted to share it in case it would be. Basically, I think it's a cost/benefit analysis that everyone has to make for herself, though unfortunately we do so without sufficient information about the risks - either of Z or of maternal depression - to our babies. I do know that quitting cold turkey can be SO hard - physically and emotionally - and I can't imagine doing it during pregnancy. Are you seeing a therapist and/or psychiatrist? It would be good to be checking in with someone about how you're feeling during this time.

Hang in there, and keep us posted!
#6 of 9 Old 09-10-2009, 04:43 PM

I'm on it and my doc wants me to stay on it and I want to stay on it. I'm a much happier person when i'm on it. ANd she said it's the most studied Anitdepressent in pregnancy and should help with possible PPD (which I could develop because I have had mild depression since before my preg) and while yes there are possible side effects with all drugs during preg I feel better being on it rather than off.

Denyel & Kate Bond - Black Belt Mamas to Dekaylee born 10/29/09 - And parents to our 4-legged family including 1 Dog "Hank", 2 cats "Boris & Ahmi", and 5 Beautiful Alpacas!!
#7 of 9 Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies. I decided to talk with my midwife today. Which I should of done in the first place instead of self treating. I was just worried from what I read from the pharmacy and online about newborns having problems. She put my worries to rest. I started back up today on zoloft. I'm hoping I'll start feeling better soon in the next couple weeks. This has been so hard emotionally.

Thank you so much for all of your replies! :

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#8 of 9 Old 09-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Starc-

I am SO happy to hear that you spoke with your midwife and are starting back up on the Zoloft.

As many have mentioned--it's a cost benefit analysis thing....suffering with depression during and after pregnancy can be far more harmful to you and the baby then any potential side effects of the drug.

Depression is a really tough thing-- add extreme hormone shifts and we are talking about an entirely new level of "tough thing"!!!!

Wishing you all a wonderful, joy filled, safe, PEACEFUL pregnancy! :
#9 of 9 Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Happy to hear that you are starting back on the Zoloft I hope that you will start feeling better again sooner than later.

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page