Knowledge needed, please explain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as a first time soon to be mom i have been researching and retaining a lot of information, however, when i look up anything concerning vit. k, eye gunk, ect...(there are more, so feel free to include anything you feel is necessary to mention), i never find anything 'alarming' or 'bad' about them, but only good information. now, i know there must be something wrong with them since a lot of people here say they're declining a lot of this stuff, but i can't find any vital information as to what is diverting people away from having these procedures done to their baby.

so can those who know please inform me of the dangers or why they're wanting to decline these things?

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
#2 of 38 Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 PM

Not completely sure ... but I think some ppl. prefer not to do it b/c it's not neccessary. But, the advice I got about vit. k is that if you have your son circumsized, it's a good idea to do the vit. k.

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

#3 of 38 Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 PM

The reason we declined eye goop is because I didn't have either of the STDs it's used against (I believe it's gonorrhea and chlamydia, but I haven't looked it up in a while). The goop they use is an antibiotic--if you don't have the bacteria, why give an unnecessary antibiotic.

I've heard pluses and minuses with the Vit. K. I think if we do it this time, we'll go for the oral drops rather than the shot. I would say with a natural, unmessed-with birth (vaginal, term, no induction, no augmentation, no injuries during birth) you'd be really unlikely to need it. In my opinion, the biggest con for the injection is simply another possible entrance site for germs.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#4 of 38 Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 PM

We are going to decline the eye goop, because

- it is unassary, if you don't have gonnorhea
- it can impair the vision of the bay
- has other side effects

We are also going for oral vitamin K instead of the vitamin K shot in case of a hard labor. The Vitamin K shot has been linked to some increase to some cancers, but only slightly.

We are declining the Hep B vaccine at birth. Hep B is mainly sexually transmitted. It is only really suggested to be given to babies born to mothers who are hep B positive at birth.

We also will decline a bath after birth. The vermix is good for the babies skin. Blood can be wiped off, but they don't need a soapy bath.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#5 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Banned

Whatever is not necessary for her health, we are turning down. Simple as that. Something being routine doesn't mean it's necessarily the best thing to do.
#6 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 02:14 AM

I put this together for the birth of my third child, when after 40 peaceful hours of home labor it became apparent that he would need surgical help to get out from my ribs (breech, sunny-side-up, and footling)...Quick background: my eldest was vaccine injured at 14 weeks; she ended up at the hospital with all the indications of vaccine encephalopathy (as an uninformed mother I believed the docs when they insisted the vaccines did not cause this even though the hand-out stated to seek immediate medical attention for the symptoms she was displaying - we continued to vaccinate her until her two year visit with her 6 month old sister). By the time we went for her 2 yr "well" visit, my daughter was suffering seizures, failing to thrive, having non-stop putrid diarrhea, suffered from a rash for over a year that was like raw hamburger meat and wept blood, was unable to use language, could not sleep for more than an hour at a time, shrieked for hours at a time multiple times a day, did not want to be touched, refused all but a few foods (was addicted to milk and if refused, would shriek and bang her head),would run away into traffic, and more; the doctor insisted she was perfectly fine. We got her shots and the staff proceeded to give her little sister her 6 month shots; her sister then stopped breathing. We had to go directly to the hospital and get five breathing treatments and numerous other interventions for her; she checked out of the hospital with a diagnosis of severe asthma and a nebulizer with Xopenex to be used 15 minutes out of each hour, steroids, a "puffer," a rescue inhaler, and liquid albuterol, she also suddenly had exzema all over her face and limbs.

I went home devastated and went to the internet where I found "adverse events" to childhood vaccines can and do look like my children; horrified, I went to the CDC website and looked up "excipients." What is in vaccines is despicable - msg, formaldehyde, neurotoxic aluminum and mercury, the most carcinogenic antibiotics known to man, human DNA (rumor says this cell line is from a mental patient's aborted child, but I do not know if this is true - I don't care, I don't want a stranger's DNA - PERIOD), also chicken, mouse, cow, pig, and monkey mediums and the unknown contaminants and virus' they carry (for instance SV-40 which is a simian virus delivered with the Polio vaccine in the early 60's - we don't know to look for what we don't know is there), allergens like egg and casein (milk), latex (from the stopper), and much more.

We are injecting these things with the virus' in order to provoke our immune system to develop antibodies to the virus - but because we are injecting these things, rather than coming into casual contact, the immune system cannot function in a normal manner (screening out the non-threats). I believe we are provoking an immune response to EVERYTHING delivered at the tip of that needle - beef, chicken, eggs, milk, latex, virus', even human DNA (autoimmunity anyone? diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, lupus, alzheimers, parkinsons, multiple sclerosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, etc). Further, if one looks at the entire history of diseases and related deaths (from the 1800's on, rather then from the 50's as the CDC shows in their handy dandy charts), one would see diseases vaccines supposedly reduced were already on the steep decline before the vaccines were introduced. Vaccines only impart temporal immunity; this means that, if they work at all (and for at least 20% they don't), the immunity they provide might last six years or six months - it is different for each individual. Also important - when vaccinated individuals manage not to catch the diseases and develop natural immunity, the vaccine immunity cannot be shared with their nursing infant (though it is thought that maybe the first month or two the infant might get some help). Finally, many vaccinated people get the diseases they are vaccinated against (that whole ineffective for 20% and temporal immunity waning thing); some from the shots themselves, others pick up the diseases from their environs.

So, we injected a toxic soup of nastiness into ourselves, wrought havoc within our mitochondria, immune system, digestive system, and brain, and STILL got the "dread" disease...And it has been noted that vaccinated people end up in the hospital more frequently then those who are not vaccinated when they do contract the diseases they have been vaccinated against (who knows maybe they would have, even without vaccinations...).

Which brings me to yet another point, our vaccine schedule now calls for 32 - 34 needles by the time a child reaches 24 months of age (check the vaccine schedule at the CDC website and don't miss all the "notes"). One assumes these shots have been thoroughly, independently, safety tested. One would be wrong - the manufacturers perform their own safety tests and tell the FDA about the results (and the combination of shots has NEVER been tested). But efficacy has been independently proven, right? Ahhhhh, no.

You will find horror stories from parents whose child died of the flu or meningitis "because they were unvaccinated;" these are brought to you courtesy of Big Pharma. I cannot imagine their pain and am sorry for their loss; what I do not have to imagine is the pain of losing my child's perfect health and independent future (and my retirement account and our "nest egg" and virtually all of my sleep, and my sanity) to a life dedicated to attempting to recover my daughter's health and future and never being able to do enough and worrying about losing our house and wondering how we'll ever find enough credit to meet her needs, and who will care for her when I am gone, and how to keep her safe from predators she cannot understand exist. The thing is, we should have the right to decide which risk is greater to our child, for ourselves, objectively, with FULL disclosure; I was not afforded this luxury and got to play Russian Roulette, twice. I hope this will afford those of you new to the game the opportunity to dodge some bullets. Measles, mumps, and chicken pox did no lasting damage to my son, and measles and chicken pox did no damage to my daughters (yes my vaccinated kids brought these diseases home anyway, and shared them with their unvacinated brother - the vaccinated kids had the worst symptoms for some reason). Keeping them home, rested, nourished, hydrated with natural electrolytes, and entertained took time out of my busy schedule; but I figure it IS my job to encourage healing rather than dosing with over-the-counter fever reducers, pain relievers, and other masking agents and sending them off to school or daycare sick and drugged. And I wonder, how many of those deaths attributed to the "dread" diseases really represent health care neglect in the form of OTC "medicine" which hides the symptoms but does nothing to heal the disease?

To this end, you CAN choose not to vaccinate or to partially vaccinate or to fully vaccinate and you can choose when and how many - vaccination is a medical procedure which must be consented. Whatever you choose, do so having fully understood the ramifications of your choice because whatever comes next cannot easily be undone. If you choose not to vaccinate apply for a waiver; families with a strong history of autoimmunity are often provided medical exemptions with doctors who ask for a detailed history as they plan your child's vaccination schedule. If your doctor is rude or dismissive - fire him or her (they work for you)! You and your child deserve quality care - demand it.

OK, I'll get off of my soapbox, now...For those of you still reading, here's my letter to the hospital which I wrote while in labor for my son and I:

03/02/05 To whom it may concern, This Plan outlines my wishes regarding the labor and delivery of my son, and the newborn care of my son. Sincerely, XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX

Labor & Delivery Preferences for XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX
Due Date: 04/01/05Patient of Dr. XXXXXScheduled to deliver at XXXXXXX Medical Center.

My support people are my husband (Steve) and my doula (Maggie) and I would like them to be present during labor and delivery.

Cesarean
I would like my husband present at all times if my son requires a Cesarean delivery.
If my son is not in distress, my son should be given to me or my husband immediately after birth.
The umbilical cord should not be cut until it has stopped pulsing.
In the event my son needs significant intervention, I want my husband to accompany the baby until I am able to be with him.
I would like to have my son placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

03/02/05 To whom it may concern, This Plan outlines my wishes regarding the labor and delivery of my son, and the newborn care of my son. Sincerely, XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX

Post-Delivery Care of XXXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX (XXXXX)
Due Date: 04/01/05Patient of Dr. XXXXXScheduled to deliver at XXXXXXX Medical Center.

After Delivery
I want to hold and/or breastfeed my son (if this is not possible, I want my husband to hold my son) while tissue repairs are made.
The umbilical cord is not to be cut until it stops pulsing.
I plan to keep my son with me following birth and want the evaluation of my son to be preformed with him on my abdomen or my husbands' arms, with both covered by a warm blanket, unless my son's health is at-risk.
If my son must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband or some other person I designate will accompany my son at all times.
I refuse eye ointment, drops, or cream for my son
(I have tested negative for all STDs. Erythromycin eliminates the natural, protective bacteria of the eye; with many bacteria now resistant to this antibiotic, the natural bacteria are a newborn's best broad defense against infection)
I refuse the Hep B vaccination (or any other vaccination) for my son
(My newborn will not be engaging in promiscuous sexual behavior and IV drug abuse. I do not have hepatitis B. Nobody in our household has hepatitis B, or is a chronic carrier. He will not be attending any form of day-care or public facility where exposure is likely to occur.
Further, Vaccines are injected into the bloodstream; man is made in God’s image and the injection of toxic chemicals and foreign proteins into the bloodstream is a violation of God’s directive to keep the body/temple holy and free from impurities. Vaccines are manufactured in violation of God’s Word - with toxic chemicals, with foreign proteins (viruses and bacteria), and genetically engineered viral and bacterial materials. Additionally, vaccines are produced in animal tissues; God warns not to mix the blood of man with the blood of animals. Finally, a number of vaccines are produced in aborted fetal tissue - God commands “Thou Shall Not Kill, ” this applies to the practice of abortion; the practice of abortion should not be encouraged or supported in any manner.)
I refuse Vitamin K for my son
(I took no drugs or antibiotics during pregnancy. This baby is not premature. My maternity diet was high in high vitamin K foods and "good" fats. I will ensure a continued diet, rich in vitamin K, so the natural form of the vitamin K will be available through my breast milk.)
I refuse the heel-stick for my son; in the event there is concern with regard to his health, I may reconsider this refusal.
(I will ensure my son participates in screening, as appropriate, with his own pediatrician)
I welcome blood typing or other testing ONLY if such tests can be performed on blood taken from my son's umbilical cord.
I refuse hospital bathing for my son; my husband or I will wash the baby as we deem necessary.
I want my son to "room in" with me.

Post-Delivery Preferences for XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX

Postpartum Hemorrhage
In the event I experience a "boggy" uterus or hemorrhage, requiring medical intervention, I wish to be informed of my condition and options.
In the event the situation is dire, IM administration of Methergine may be acceptable.

Postpartum
Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my son - my husband or other designated individual will care for my son, as I take care of personal needs.
I want the baby to "room in" with me.

Breastfeeding
I plan to breastfeed my son and will begin nursing very immediately after birth.
Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have ANY bottles given to my son.
I do not want my son to be given a pacifier.

I hope this helps at least one child have a healthy future!
#7 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltree View Post

We are declining the Hep B vaccine at birth. Hep B is mainly sexually transmitted. It is only really suggested to be given to babies born to mothers who are hep B positive at birth.

Yes I can't understand why anyone would want to vaccinate a baby against hep b.
We don't get that here until grade 7 even someone saying that they might be exposed at daycare?!

I guess apparently we sould have a culture with tons of hep b pos kids then?

Here we will be declining the eye antibiotics simply because I don't think they are neccesary ( I don't have chlamydia or gonorehea) and they kill and good natural flora as well as making babies vision blurry.

We will be delaying cord cutting until the cord stops pulsing.

I will not consent to another MMR booster this time for me ( I am still not immune)

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#8 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 AM

This is just my opinion: I don't think these things are going to hurt the baby. I am going to decline the eye gunk because I don't have gonorrhea, so it isn't necessary. I am NOT going to decline the vitamin K shot. The baby would probably be O.K. either way but I would just as soon go ahead and have it done.

Also, we will DEFINITELY be having the PKU test done, and while I do not want the baby to have the Hep B shot at birth, I do plan on getting it done sometime during the first six months.

Circumcision, of course, is a different issue--that WILL hurt the baby and have lifelong implications, so no way are we going to do that! I'm hoping it's a girl because I don't want to deal with my mom's reaction to having a grandson with a foreskin. :

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#9 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 12:24 PM

Please see the following with regard to the Vitamin K shot:

http://legaljustice4john.com/jaundic...otNewborns.htm

"...According to the product insert, adverse reactions include haemolysis (or hemolysis - American spelling) (meaning breakdown of red blood cells), haemolytic anaemia (a disorder characterised by chronic premature destruction of red blood cells), hyperbilirubinemia (too much bilirubin in blood) and jaundice (yellow skin and eyes resulting from hyperbilirubinemia), and allergic reactions include face flushing, gastrointestinal upset, rash, redness, pain or swelling at injection site and itching skin. It also warns that large enough doses can cause brain damage in infants and/or impairment to liver function. Hypoxia has also been published as having occurred in infants after Vitamin K administration..."
#10 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

thank you ladies i really had no idea. if i recall i never received the hep. b vaccination until i was a good 5-6yrs old.

baby wouldn't need the eye gunk stuff because i am not infected with gonorrhea or any STD.

and thank you LParker for posting that stuff and the link. i read over it all and read it directly to DH too. he is very skeptical of it, and really does not want our child getting it(though i still wanted to do a little more research on it).

anyway i'm looking for a statistical chart of how many deaths occur from the vit. k injection. from the site you linked me to only stated, "The chance of your child developing leukaemia from the Vitamin K shot is estimated to be about one in 500", and "The haemorrhaging condition may occur in approximately 1 in 10,000 live births.". so i'm on the ball now and looking for more statistics; issues/problems, deaths, ect... from the shot.

i 'really' appreciate everyone filling me in.

#11 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 03:45 PM

Happy to help...Just remember that statistics can be made to show whatever the individual preparing the stats desires - the same is true of "studies" funded by an industry, to protect said industry. The biggsest struggle we have in this country, regarding our health is that our legislators and appointees are firmly in the pocket of Big Pharma - just research the revolving door between the two. The oft-cited "studies" "proving" vaccines do not cause harm do not, in fact, "prove" this; be sure to read the actual study and pay close attention to the studies' designs and outcomes (even with a designs rigged to exhonerate, they have not succeeded to do so). Unfortunately, as a whole, we are a society of sound-byters; this allows us to be easily led (in this case mis-led)...
#12 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First-Time-Mommy View Post

"The chance of your child developing leukaemia from the Vitamin K shot is estimated to be about one in 500",
I know I'm not in your DDC, but I read this and just had to comment on it. The risk of developing leukemia, in the US, is 1 in 8800. That's for adults and children. Out of 30,000 cases of leukemia per year in the US, only about 2000 of them are children. There is no possible way your child could have a 1 in 500 chance of developing leukemia from the Vit K shot.

Not saying anything about the Vit K, just pointing out I would have trouble believing anything on a website with such a misleading statistic.

Mommy to two super cute kids.
#13 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LParker View Post
Just remember that statistics can be made to show whatever the individual preparing the stats desires - the same is true of "studies" funded by an industry, to protect said industry.
A very specific, current example:

The American College of Gynecology (ACOG) recently started a survey as part of a study on the safety of homebirthing and midwives. Homebirths and mudwives are obviously against the financial interests of ACOG. The survey lists, as the ONLY possible outcomes, death, and transport to the hospital with various options (such as successful delivery with life infant, delivery with further medical attention needed, etc.). As there is no option for homebirth being successful, ACOG can list in the stats that there were no successful homebirths reported to them. If they want to be generous, they could acknowledge anyone who filled in the "Comments" box to say, "Hey, MY homebirth went off fine!" Or they can claim the comments aren't part of the official survey and ignore them.

ACOG's been spewing for a long time that the safest birth is in a hospital with doctors, ignoring the fact that, for a country where more than 99% of births are in hospitals, we've got the second highest rate of infant mortality among developed countries. Countries with much higher homebirth rates have far lower rates of death.

It's just so easy to skew stats that it's extremely, EXTREMELY important to try to find out what the survey-taker and sponsor, whether it be a company or individual, industry or a company, has to gain by stats being skewed one way or another.

Makers of vaccines will claim that a vaccine is safer than it is. A company more holistic has an interest in steering people away from vaccines and to them. A magazine might be sponsored by a company that makes shots or by a company producing homeopathic treatments. As for individuals, what's to be gained? Unfortunately most stats you'll come by were sponsored by someone with an interest for stats to be one way.

Doctors have a financial interest in pushing shots on people and their kids. That $3-vial and 5-cent syringe and minute of time can cost you/your insurance over $100 on top of an appointment or any other fees (I vaccinate my animals myself due to the mark-up), and the CDC received massive funding from Big Pharma and the medical industry, so it's no surprise they're really pushing vaccines and circumcisions (because somehow circ'ing is better protection against AIDS than condoms...).

Definitely run as far away as you can as fast as you can from any survey or company that says that something ALWAYS ends one way, like flu shots are always safe, or that the vit. K shot always kills.
#14 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Banned

LParker, that post is epically wonderful.
#15 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

definitely researching it all though. guess it is always solely dependent on the perspective of each individual. some may not mind the vaccines while others do. DH's sisters kids were all given it and they have had no problems whatsoever, just as if they hadn't had it, could have not had any problems, while at the same time with either option chosen, could have very well had problems. can always go either way, just depends on what option is chosen, or alternative to go with and see what happens/how it turns out.

then again, they surely wouldn't give it to newborns still if the death rate and problems arising from the vaccine were off the scale?

i don't know, i still honor everyone's decisions whether they have it done or not.

#16 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 05:23 PM

I had the whole 'kit-and-kaboodle' with DD, but only because I didn't research much back then. The vitamin K doesn't bother me as much (though I'm not convinced it's necessary if mom fortifies her diet beforehand) as the eye goop and the Hep B shot. Those two seems a bit overkill.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#17 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM

Check your state laws as well. In our home state, the Vit K shot and eye antibiotic goop are mandatory in the hospital...yet another reason we're homebirthing. We had DS#1 in a neighboring state hospital and no one batted an eye when we declined. We did have to sign papers though.
#18 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 PM

If you are interested in doing some research yourself on Vitamin K shots and newborns, you may find this site helpful at least for a jumping off point to begin asking yourself questions. Link here.

Especially, look for the paragraphs underneath this heading:

How do Parents Decide about Vitamin K?

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#19 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogautumn View Post
Check your state laws as well. In our home state, the Vit K shot and eye antibiotic goop are mandatory in the hospital...yet another reason we're homebirthing. We had DS#1 in a neighboring state hospital and no one batted an eye when we declined. We did have to sign papers though.
thank you for mentioning this. i went ahead and took a look too. i found,

"Most states have specific laws regarding newborn screening. In Kansas you may refuse for religious reasons. If you do so, you may be asked to sign a refusal form. This form relieves your doctor of liability for damages that result from a disorder that could have been detected by screening."

and

"For those who are planning a hospital birth but want to evade invasive routine post natal procedures such as a Hep B shot, vitamin K injection, newborn screening, or the application of silver nitrate in the newborn's eyes, a very specific birthing plan must be submitted to the hospital in advance of the birth. Hospital staff must be informed, in advance, of your needs, wants and desires where your baby and birthing experience are concerned. The same applies to midwives".

the only thing is i'm not religious and i wouldn't know where to begin in battling why i wouldn't want these done from a religious standpoint. if that is really the only way they will exempt certain vaccinations than how exactly would i go about this? lol. <- stupid question, ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb3 View Post
If you are interested in doing some research yourself on Vitamin K shots and newborns, you may find this site helpful at least for a jumping off point to begin asking yourself questions. Link here.

Especially, look for the paragraphs underneath this heading:

How do Parents Decide about Vitamin K?
thanks for linking that website. it didn't feel to biased when i was reading it, but just giving pro's/con's while also listing certain important facts. hmm. i'm still not sure what exactly i want to do... but i guess i still have time to research and come to an overall decision.

#20 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 PM

Because of the whole separation of Church and State, most states do not ask for specifics of your religion.
#21 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 PM

Well neither the eye goop nor the Vit K are vaccines, so I don't understand how a religious exemption would apply (which I think is how our state gets away with making them mandatory). But it does seem like you'll need to sign a release and submit your birth plans in advance. I'd talk it over with your care provider, they can sign off on a written birth plan and put it in your file. You can also ask questions if you do a hospital tour.
#22 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 10:04 PM

One more important reason to thoroughly understand the pros and cons (this includes actually reading the insert for anything that you put into your or baby's body)...Our high infant mortality much of which is Sudden Unexplained Infant Death (SIDS), in the USA, helps to rank us in 29th position (below the Czech Republic, Israel and Cuba, among the many). http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/...-us-ranks-29th We spend the most per-capita in "health care" and administer more vaccines, earlier, and more frequently then these countries; yet our children are the sickest generation, ever (MUCH autoimmunity).

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/vaccine_sids.htm

"...Japan changed the start time for vaccinating from 3 months to two years and straight away their SIDS rate plummeted? "Delay of DPT immunisation until 2 years of age in Japan has resulted in a dramatic decline in adverse side effects. In the period of 1970-1974, when DPT vaccination was begun at 3 to 5 months of age, the Japanese national compensation system paid out claims for 57 permanent severe damage vaccine cases, and 37 deaths. During the ensuing six year period 1975-1980, when DPT injections were delayed to 24 months of age, severe reactions from the vaccine were reduced to a total of eight with three deaths. This represents an 85 to 90 percent reduction in severe cases of damage and death." Raymond Obomsawin, M.D. .."

Ultimately, it is not your doctor who is responsible for your health and your children's; You are.

My belief - if Nature did not provide it in the form it is presented (though we do still cook some foods , just don't consume anything which has been processed outside of our own kitchen) my children and I will not eat it, drink it, inhale it or inject it. Thanks to this philosophy (we are organic/natural, purified water), probiotic foods, and elimination of a number of foods to which my children are allergic (www.foodallergytest.com helped us greatly, with this), asthma and exzema are gone and autism is well under control. I wish I had understood what I was allowing to enter my children's bodies so much sooner; I can't wait for the day when the grocery contains only pure and healthy products and I hear someone requesting, "Could I please special-order the highly processed, corn syrup laden breakfast cereal - the one with the neurotoxic lake dyes and 'enriched' so it can be considered a food product?"
#23 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 PM

#24 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

"Nearly seven U.S. babies die out of every 1,000 live births. More than 28,000 American babies die before their first birthday."

thanks for the other links too. kansas isn't listed on the 2nd, but i'm sure i can find it or do whatever to get one.. hmm. again with the religious thing. i think that's pretty shallow that some states require you have a literal 'religious' reason for exemptions.

#25 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 PM

#26 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

not seeing an actual form that is just for exemption of vaccines at birth, just for school and child care. i just see "Submit a written statement signed by a parent that the parent is an adherent of a religious denomination whose teachings are opposed to immunizations".

maybe i'm just bypassing the actual form on the site but from reading that all i need to do is write a statement. i'll skim through again but if i don't find it all call around and make sure.

#27 of 38 Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't have the Hep B vaccine until 3 years ago. My DH is in the middle of the 3 shot series right now. We've both been to Egypt, India, Burma, China and various other places.

I could not figure out why they would give such a thing to an infant. You only need one if you've been exposed via sexual intercourse, the mother has it or the baby has a blood transfusion. I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere I found that they decided to give it to newborns because it was cheaper than screening for the above risk factors (mother having it or blood transfusion).

I know I don't have it, so my baby is not getting it or antibiotic eye goop - of course this is only if we go to the hospital. the only vaccine I am considering before the baby is much older is the dtap. But I'm still researching that as well.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#28 of 38 Old 09-13-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LParker View Post
"...Japan changed the start time for vaccinating from 3 months to two years and straight away their SIDS rate plummeted? "Delay of DPT immunisation until 2 years of age in Japan has resulted in a dramatic decline in adverse side effects. In the period of 1970-1974, when DPT vaccination was begun at 3 to 5 months of age, the Japanese national compensation system paid out claims for 57 permanent severe damage vaccine cases, and 37 deaths. During the ensuing six year period 1975-1980, when DPT injections were delayed to 24 months of age, severe reactions from the vaccine were reduced to a total of eight with three deaths. This represents an 85 to 90 percent reduction in severe cases of damage and death." Raymond Obomsawin, M.D. .."
Not sure why and if it has influenced SIDS rates, but Japan's vaccination schedule suggests DPT 3times at 3-6 months. Also, as far as I know the DTP vaccine has changed significantly since the 1980s.

One reason, that some people opt for an early Hep B vaccine is, that if a baby get Hep B, it will most likely be chronic. However, it is very unlikely in the first place, that a baby will contract hep B.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#29 of 38 Old 09-13-2009, 01:19 AM

My daughter has a demyelinating disorder and this is one of the possible "adverse events" from taking the DTaP. The DTaP was one of the shots she received at 14 weeks of age when started her decline and ended up at the hospital. She now has hippocampal sclerosis (the hippocampus is one of the main organs of learning); she requires 35 hours/week in intensive 1:1 therapy, in addition to school, in order to learn the same material as her age-peers. She also has temporal and frontal lobe seizures, now. If you think having a child is expensive, try adding $60K a year in therapies that your insurance will not cover! And if you feel you already do not have enough time in a day, try adding daily visits to therapists and weekly visits to specialists - and if you choose Public school, days and days of fighting for services to which your child is entitled under the law but refused because the schools have already earmarked the Special Needs funding for other projects...

FWIW, she had the full series of DTaP and still contracted Pertussis (as did most of the school) two years ago...

http://www.rxlist.com/tripedia-drug.htm#

Excerpted from 2/3 of the way down page 3 of 10:

"...Additional Adverse Reactions:

· As with other aluminum-containing vaccines, a nodule may be palpable at the injection sites for several weeks. Sterile abscess formation at the site of injection has been reported.3,36

· Rarely, an anaphylactic reaction (ie, hives, swelling of the mouth, difficulty breathing, hypotension, or shock) has been reported after receiving preparations containing diphtheria, tetanus, and/or pertussis antigens.3

· Arthus-type hypersensitivity reactions, characterized by severe local reactions (generally starting 2-8 hours after an injection), may follow receipt of tetanus toxoid.

· A few cases of peripheral mononeuropathy and of cranial mononeuropathy have been reported following tetanus toxoid administration, although available evidence is inadequate to accept or reject a causal relation.37

· A review by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found evidence for a causal relationship between tetanus toxoid and both brachial neuritis and Guillain-Barré syndrome.37

· A few cases of demyelinating diseases of the CNS have been reported following some tetanus toxoid-containing vaccines or tetanus and diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccines, although the IOM concluded that the evidence was inadequate to accept or reject a causal relationship.37

Adverse events reported during post-approval use of Tripedia vaccine include idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, SIDS, anaphylactic reaction, cellulitis, autism, convulsion/grand mal convulsion, encephalopathy, hypotonia, neuropathy, somnolence and apnea. Events were included in this list because of the seriousness or frequency of reporting. Because these events are reported voluntarily from a population of uncertain size, it is not always possible to reliably estimate their frequencies or to establish a causal relationship to components of Tripedia vaccine.2
..."
#30 of 38 Old 09-13-2009, 08:09 AM

Do you have any links to the Japanese Vaccination schedule? I googled it several different ways and can only come up with a schedule that looks very much like the US except includes a couple extra vaccines.

The only things I can find on it that say anything about change or improvement in SIDS rates are on other sites not related to the actual Japanese immunization schedule.

If I could get that, it would be helpful in considering a delayed vax schedule. I didn't get Hep B at all for DD and probably will not until she is much older, if at all.
I have MS and my very first signs of MS occurred after the second Hep B shot when I was 21 years old.

We did get the eye goop and Vit K.

Deb

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page