BTDT Moms: Best purchase you made? Worst purchase? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2009, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTDT Moms,

What were the best baby purchases you made (splurges included)? And what were the worst?

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 AM

Best:

regular 4x6x4 prefolds that dd wore from 1 month until almost 2 years.

convertible carseats that last even longer.

dresses in size 3T that she's worn 4 years in a row.

Worst:

Arms' Reach Mini Cosleeper. All the disadvantages of cosleeping combined with all the disadvantages of a bassinet! You can't go right!

Baby soaps and lotions. She just didn't get that dirty or scaly.

Baby socks that got kicked off in about 2 seconds. This time I might try buying some cute baby shoes to go over them to hold them on. Footed sleepers are easier though.

Bibs with Velcro fasteners. Those stayed on about as long as the socks.

The tub spout cover thing. Did not get used even once.

Baby hammock that spontaneously fell out of the ceiling, thankfully not while baby was in it.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 09-22-2009, 01:02 AM

Best: Quality Carseat!!!!
Good Nursing Bras!!!!!!!
Ditto prefolds and covers!
Basic ring sling
Ergo
(Cannot think of much of baby items I used)

Worst: Jogging Stroller- I like to exercise but have never been a runner- surprise- surprise even after the baby came I still hated to run- I much prefer exercise videos or lifting weights on my own!!

Co-Sleeper- Much easier to just put the baby in bed!!

Any speciality baby item is a waste to me- baby spoons- highchairs- bathtubs- don't use them, they take up space and are totally annoying!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:27 AM

Well, most of these things were not stuff I'd purchased, but, still ...

Worst

Big stroller that fit the infant car seat: DD hated being in the stroller until she was big enough to sit up and see the world. We used it about 3 times when she was an infant and she spent the whole walk screaming. This time around, I'm not even planning to get a stroller. When LO is big enough, if it seems like one would be useful, I want a lightweight, collapsible one.

Baby lotion: DD had some dry skin the first couple of months. I think the lotion (some mainstream brand--J&J maybe?) actually made it worse. If this is an issue again I'm using aloe or a natural healing cream.

Best

Two-shoulder SPOC wrap: I never really got the slings to work; they always felt awkward and crooked on me. Once I discovered two-shoulder carries, I was in heaven--especially once DD started really gaining weight (we had some feeding issues when she was a newborn)!

Diaper bin: Not at all something I bought, in fact, it was made from the basket that came with my printer table which my SIL rescued from the trash. It's the wire basket they used to use for continuous-form computer paper, back in the day. Anywhoo, I tucked a container of wipes and a stack of diapers in it and kept it under an end table in the living room--so much more convenient than running back to the bedroom every time she needed a change.

Calendar: I didn't have a baby book for DD, so we kept a regular wall calendar by her changing table. Every time she did something cool, we made note of it in the square for that day.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 09-22-2009, 02:02 AM

Best:
Baby K'tan
Kissaluv 0's (even though I make my own otherwise)
Infant prefolds (even if you never use them as diapers)
Lanolin (use it for everything from chapped nipples to diaper rash to skinned knees)
Johnny Jumper (mama can shower and still see baby!)
Changing table (it's nice to have a 'home' for all those cloth diapers)

Worst:
Crib (big expensive laundry basket)
Swing (= screaming baby)
Any padded rail ring sling (need I say more?)
Full sized high chair (great room taker upper - get one that fastens to a chair)
Bassinette (another laundry basket)
Stuffed animals (why do people buy newborns stuffed animals?!)
Lotions/soaps/powders/creams (why would you want to cover up that great newborn smell with a bunch of chemicals?!)
Baby bathtub (another space taker upper - sink works fine)
Nail clippers (I just bite them... sharp things by baby = nervous mama)

I'll edit if I think of anything else

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 AM

For us, the swing and vibrating bouncy seat were worth their weight in gold for DD. We could not have lived without them. We also loved the hotsling, and we still love our Britax Boulevard carseat.

I didn't care for the shopping cart cover - it was a total PITA to get onto the cart while holding DD and my diaper bag, and frankly, I'm just not that much of a germaphobe. Baby bathrobes are a total waste of $$. We were given two, and DD never used them. DH did enjoy dressing the cat up in one though... The cat, btw, was less than impressed. A rocking chair in the nursery was a waste, IMO. I much preferred to be in the living room instead of secluded in the nursery - the rocking chair is now in the living room. I hated out high chair too. We chose a Graco model based primarily on its ability to fold up so it could be stored in a narrow space... and then we never folded it up. The cover was a total PITA to remove to clean, and the straps would not come off, so they couldn't be easily washed.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Best:
  • Phil and Teds stroller
  • ring sling - for trips to the store - quick in and out
  • stretchy wrap (for longer walks 0-6 months)
  • Ergo carrier (I prefer the back carry for longer walks after 5-6 months)
  • simple bouncy sling chair for when you absolutely need to put them down
  • diaper cream of your choice (I really like Burts Bees and it smells nice)
  • CDs to sing along with (Raffi was our first and still makes me think of those lovely first few months)

Worst:
  • lotions
  • baby bathtub and sling/hammock thing
  • mobiles
  • toys that light up and make noise
  • exersaucer - my kids never liked these after the first time for more than 1 minute
  • jolly jumper - same as exersaucer
  • multi-piece cute outfits - both boys lived in cotton sleepers
  • baby monitor - our house is tiny - I can hear baby from wherever I am!
  • stupid nighttime toys that light up or play music to "soothe" baby to sleep
  • breastfeeding pillow
  • electric breast pump - I produced lots but don't pump well plus we never have left the kids long enough to justify. My hand pump was all I needed for our lifestyle.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 AM

What a great thread! For us:
Best purchases:

one-size dipes
moby wrap
ergo
bouncy seat (great for when you are in the shower- just take the baby in the bathroom with you
boppy
carseat cover thingie (Bundle Me is the one we have) so you don't need to deal with a snowsuit
***gowns**** I totally loved these! They make diaper changes so much easier.

Worst:
crappy "mainstream" (like, it came from walmart) sling
basinette
infant jeans and dresses- I kept DD in a sleeper or gown 24/7. Especially for winter babies... just make 'em cozy. Jeans looked so.. uncomfortable to me.

I guess that is it... we are pretty minimalist with baby stuff. My mom says they need love, a boob (or something to eat), warmth, and a place to sleep. The rest is just fluff.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 09-22-2009, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Lol, I thought nursing bras were my worst purchase. They were expensive, but maybe not the best brand of bra I guess.
The best bras for nursing were those cloth ones for working out--not a tight sport bra, but a looser bra workout top. Or, I'd wear cami's with the shelf bra in them. It was easier to just pull the top to one side and nurse, unlike the actual nursing bra that had those weird little fasteners that took forever to put back together!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 09-22-2009, 09:51 AM

Best:
Ergo - I used the infant insert from about a month on.
Bouncy/vibrating seat - the only thing DS would stay in for me to take a shower.

Worst:
Crib - This was never used until we converted it to a full size bed for DS at 2 years old...but it's great for now
Baby socks - DS' feet never fit into those cute little things
Bumbo seat - used a couple of times but not worth it
Glider for nursing - I nursed pretty much everywhere but in the glider.

In general, we had a lot of hand-me-downs and bought used which was great. It was hard for me as a FTM to not have everything matching at first but it was well worth it to save that much money!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 AM

Of all things - a McD's happy meal when DD was 2. DH had made a promise, and was going to blow it off because "she wouldn't know." I told him it would be really easy for that kind of thinking to become a very bad habit, and she should have confidence that her dad will do what he says, not a lifetime of broken promises.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:07 AM

soz butting in here

best (with caden anyway)
my ergo baby carrier
ellaroo mei tai
happy heinys (should of bought more as couldn't afford to buy more once he grew out of them )

worst
my changeing unit, total waste of money hardly ever used it just changed his nappy on my knee and most of time bathed him in the big bath
pop up moses basket he wouldn't sleep in it a night and when i actualy managed to lie him down asleep in it so i could wash up/make dinner caitlin would climb in with him and the hood would colapse.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 AM

Hi! Jumping in from new posts... Congrats on your upcoming LO!

My best advice is to buy whatever you can at the resale shop. Every baby is different as is every parent and you just won't know what you will use until the LO is here. Wait on the big things that don't get used right away and then see if you really need them.

But, for us, the very best were:
The Moby Wrap - absolutely could not live without this
plain onsies and little pants (for some reason I enjoy this combo more than sleepers)
swaddle blankets
I know a lot of people on here don't use strollers, but I really liked the "snap-and-go" that went with the carseat because sometimes you just have to run in somewhere really quickly and don't want to disturb a sleeping baby by getting in and out of the carseat for a 5 minute trip inside the post office or what-not, KWIM?
Medela pump in style - I am paranoid and like to have a freezer full of milk just in case something happens to me and I cannot nurse for a day or two.
bouncy chair - comes in very handy when you have to put the baby down

The worst - never used
bassinet/co-sleeper thing
pack and play
swing
bumbo-type seat thing

Also, I really like the Earth Mama Angel Baby stuff for postpartum mamas and baby, too. I found their oil really helped DD's very dry skin.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Best

snap in carseat stroller with the Graco bucket seat, awesome and we used it till she was almost a year old!

Bundle me! it was such a pain to have to start putting coats on her after she outgrew it!

Jogger stroller, even when I didn't run, I took very long walks with the dogs with her and it was so much smoother than a regular stroller.

bouncy seat, great for getting a shower, I used to sing to her while she bounced around in it!

boppy- for her to sit on or play with, I never used it!

nursing bras from Wal mart, most comfortable, easy to open/close and cheap!

changing table...much easier on me than getting up and down off the floor. I loved having everything right there and she always stayed still in it for changing. She played around a lot if I used the floor or somewhere else.

worst

bassinet-never used it, she hated it

pack and play...used it to hold toys mostly. Although we did use the changing table part for a while until she was too big for it.

swing...she hated it.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 09-22-2009, 12:33 PM

Best:

Swing and bouncy seat. Dd was not happy being in the sling, she's always been very independent.

Baby tub with inflatable infant ramp.

One piece snap up rompers, dd lived in them for the first couple years.

Graco metrolite stroller. Only slightly heavier than an umbrella stroller but a zillion times more convenient for both dd and I.

FuzziBunz. Fantastic fit for dd. She wore the larges for almost 2 years before PL and never had an issue with leaks or wearing out.

Britax car seats. We had a Roundabout first and now dd(6) is in a Regent. They're sturdy, comfy and really easy to install. Can't say the same about any other seat we've had.

Kecci diaper bag. It's stylish, the perfect size and can be worn as a messenger or backpack. And after 6 years it still looks brand new, ready for the new little one.

Worst:

Sling- dd just wasn't a happy camper in it.

Huge Evenflo travel system stroller. It was heavy and took up the entire trunk. I much prefer lighter strollers.

Internal soaker fitted diapers. They take forever to dry. Quick dry is a must!!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:03 PM

Best: King sized bed. I consider it an absolute necessity!

Mesh feeder thingys. We didn't use them for food, but DD loved gnawing on those things with ice in them- they were awesome for teething And I thought they were ridiculous when someone bought them for me.

And I use my huge collection of slings all.the.time. And absolutely love them

Worst: Plastic frog pod bath toy holder thingy. It was actually a gift, but we could never get it to stay installed for more than a few days even with multiple attempts. I finally just threw it away.

Used swing from friend. I'm not completely opposed to swings for babies that like them, but this thing was just a hazard. DD's arms and head would get bonked by the frame supports all the time. Plus, it was big and ugly. It's gone too
Old 09-22-2009, 01:20 PM

BEST=
Kingsize bed
Bouncer seat

WORST=
Swing
Bassinet
(these were actually Shower gifts so we didn't technically buy them )

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post
Worst:
Nail clippers (I just bite them... sharp things by baby = nervous mama)
YES!! I totally forgot about these! I think the first 3-4 times DH or I tried to cut DD's nails we made her bleed! After that experience, DH wouldn't cut her nails for about 18 months.

I actually switched to the grown-up nail clippers, which have worked fine for me. The little ones were just to teeny tiny and unstable in my hands. The idea of biting some else's fingernails kind of icks me out--even if it is my own kid.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 09-22-2009, 02:53 PM

Best:

Boppy
Bouncy Seat (I literally would have not had a shower without one)
Side-snap kimono type t-shirts (DS hated having things pulled over his head)
Changing table (I put a mirror next to where DS's head went. He loved looking at himself with I changed his dipe. PLus, my DH is very tall and having an elevated space for him to change diapers was very necessary.)
My slings
Baby Swing
Glider and gliding footstool for nursing (I practically lived in that thing for 2 years.)
Baby Bathtub (Loved having a place for slippery baby to recline while getting a bath in the sink.)

Worst:
Crib and all the stuff that went with it
Bassinet
Any sleeper or gown that had a collar. (The collar would rub against his cheek and he would think it was time to nurse.)
Bottles (DS would not take one)
Pacifiers (DS would not take one)
Stuffed animals
High Chair (Never even took it out of the box. Returned it and got a high chair seat that attaches to a chair.)
Playmat thingy (DS did not like to be put down in anything that didn't move or vibrate)
Electric Breast Pump (Since I was a SAHM and DS nursed ALL. OF. THE. TIME. there was never really any opportunity for me to pump. When I would try, I'd get less than an ounce. So, luckily, we never needed emergency milk. I think I might try a manual pump this time, just in case this baby goes longer between feedings. I'd like to have at least a little bit of frozen milk just in case.)
Old 09-22-2009, 02:53 PM

Best = Ergo Baby Carrier - DH especially LOOOOVES it - and the pouch sling and the wraps (a Hug-a-Bub and an Ellaroo). They are sanity savers!
Also, cloth diapers have worked out well - Happy Heiny's are pretty much indestructible, and the prefolds are cheap and easy to use.

For toddlers, a large bag of assorted craft pompoms has given us probably a hundred+ hours of playtime over the last year, and best of all, they are SILENT and cannot hurt anyone or anything if they are thrown inside the house. They are mama's favorite toy!

Worst = the "jogging stroller" that my mom and aunt got us. It's big, bulky, the tires go flat, it tracked so hard to the left that it would run over the dog if I didn't force it to stay straight, it still seems like DS swims in it, and it sat on the porch blocking our way into the house for the last two years without getting out but maybe 10 times total. I did start using it recently because I just don't feel like babywearing for dog walks at this stage of pregnancy, but it's still a huge PITA and I hate it and can't wait to get rid of it.
Other useless items: co-sleeper (got used as a laundry basket then returned to the friend who loaned it to us), the high-chair (DS always preferred mama's lap)...we never had an exersaucer, a Bumbo, a swing, a "learning tower", or a lot of the other gear that some people use.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Old 09-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Best
Ergo
Sling (pouch)
Boppy
Bouncer
Convertible carseat
BumGenuis One Sized diapers
Cloth wipes
Diaper sprayer
nursing cover

Worst
Cradle (he grew out of it too soon)

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 PM

This is a fantastic thread! just curious, did any of you BTDT moms acutally like your co-sleeper? I have the full-size arm's reach one (bought used on craigslist) and I think I will like it, but I am not sure. I am not afraid of rolling on the baby, but I do tend to move around quite a bit while sleeping and I think I'd just be more comfortable with the baby close by but not actually in the bed (all the time, as I'm sure there will be times we both fall asleep during a feeding).

-Katrina

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 09-22-2009, 06:10 PM

ddc crashing...

I'm going to be the lone dissenting vote on the bassinet. I loved ours. I'm not comfortable co-sleeping all night with a tiny newborn, esp. with dh in the bed too. So we used it until dd was far too big for it, maybe 4-5 months. Then she slept with us.

Also, the moby wrap was great.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 PM

Best purchases: any of the 2nd hand diapers I got from diaperswappers
any number of wraps from TBW (baby carrier=necessity)

Meh purchases: amber necklace (cute but didn't help w/teething)
Razzberry soother (also cute but DS could have cared less)
Bumbo chair (his thighs were too fat, didn't fit)
those mesh food things that you put a piece of watermelon or something in and baby can chew safely on it. He didn't go for that at all.
worst toddler purchase: Rody. DS could not care less about Rody.

There are so many gimicky things and parents just gobble them up. I'm trying to be more discerning this time around. Dont' get me wrong, I had fun shopping for these things and didn't spend a ton of money, but now I know that I should just buy more wraps.

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 PM

Best:
Amby Hammock- DS slept AMAZING in this!
Ergo-so easy to use
Moby Wrap-Very versatile
Prefolds-Used them independently, and as inserts in pockets. The ones I bough for DD (3) have been in continuous use and are still going strong!

Worst:
Baby Bathtub
Baby Robes
Any "little" thing that is not a necessity we never used!

I did enjoy my co sleeper with DD but then I discovered the Amby and sold the co sleeper.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 PM

While I think I would have liked the full-sized cosleeper a tad bit better than the mini one, still, I think the whole idea pretty much sucks. Trust me, you're not going to be able to fall asleep during a feeding with your baby in a co-sleeper that has a lip as big as the one on a pack 'n play. In order to get dd out of that thing, I had to sit up and twist around. It was actually easier to get up, get out of bed, walk around the thing, pick her out of it the other side, and get back in bed to nurse. It would be easier to nurse through the bars of a crib than it was to nurse in that thing. I know I sound bitter, but it just seemed like the thing was marketed towards AP-types without being the least bit useful in that regard. Like half-satisfying the co-sleeping crowd by keeping baby close, without actually making it possible to nurse while sleeping, which is the point.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess152 View Post
Dont' get me wrong, I had fun shopping for these things and didn't spend a ton of money, but now I know that I should just buy more wraps.

I think you might be my twin
Old 09-22-2009, 11:21 PM

Best:
Moby wrap (for when really small)
Woven wrap (for when they get a bit bigger and heavier)
Ergo (for longer walks)
Fuzzy Bunz diapers
Britax Marathon (this carseat rocks! We've tried others in other peoples cars and it's never been a happy experience)
Hippo clip on highchair (It attaches to the table at home and is portable for traveling awesome awesome awesome!)

Worst:
Crib (it is sitting gathering dust in the garage)
Snuggle nest (we used it beside the toilet as a place to put DD while we were using the bathroom, useless in the bed)
Baby tub (I bathed with DD from day one, never used the tub)

Forest wandering mama treehugger.gif to Z 14/02/08 homebirth.jpgand T 30/11/09 h20homebirth.gif.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcparker View Post
For toddlers, a large bag of assorted craft pompoms has given us probably a hundred+ hours of playtime over the last year, and best of all, they are SILENT and cannot hurt anyone or anything if they are thrown inside the house. They are mama's favorite toy!
Ooooh! I LOVE this idea.

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
Old 09-23-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliacat View Post
While I think I would have liked the full-sized cosleeper a tad bit better than the mini one, still, I think the whole idea pretty much sucks. Trust me, you're not going to be able to fall asleep during a feeding with your baby in a co-sleeper that has a lip as big as the one on a pack 'n play. In order to get dd out of that thing, I had to sit up and twist around. It was actually easier to get up, get out of bed, walk around the thing, pick her out of it the other side, and get back in bed to nurse. It would be easier to nurse through the bars of a crib than it was to nurse in that thing. I know I sound bitter, but it just seemed like the thing was marketed towards AP-types without being the least bit useful in that regard. Like half-satisfying the co-sleeping crowd by keeping baby close, without actually making it possible to nurse while sleeping, which is the point.
I totally agree that it is not condusive to nursing while sleeping. You still have to pick your baby up and put him or her down into the co-sleeper, which always woke my DS up. But I love the idea of it...having a little extra space added on to the bed. Which is why I have *ahem* altered the mini to fit our needs. I got some of that padded stuff that you use for making cushions or pillows or whatever and placed it under the arm's reach mattress, making the entire thing level with our mattress. I figure it should work pretty well for the newborn phase. Hopefully.

User Tag List