Naming rant !@#?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 09-23-2009, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
everyone will always comment Quinn is lovely name for a girl.
i often get comments if i tell people chloes middle name is caledonia.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#32 of 43 Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle C. View Post
So the dad should be left out of it?
In this case, yeah. Vegasgrl's flying solo on this parenting journey.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#33 of 43 Old 09-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Get right up in that coworkers face and tell him that the next time he pushes a watermelon out of his vagina he can comment on the name.

Quinn is a great name boy or girl. I know a girl Quinne and she is a doll.

I even suggested it to DH and he said we could put it on the list.

Kelly - Wife to a wonderful man and Mom to a c-sect boy (3/3/05), hospital vbac.gif girl (12/20/07), h20homebirth.gif girl (11/4/09), expecting #4 EDD 7/15/13. We homeschool.gif
#34 of 43 Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 PM

Quinn is a great girls' name! An old friend of mine gave her first born DD that as a middle name, I always thought it was ingenious!

When I finally decided on a first/middle name combo for this LO, the first people I told were my 3 kids - and they loved it as much as I did, which pretty much sealed the deal.

The next people I told were my dad and step-mom. Step mom looked at me as if I'd suddenly grown a second head and said dryly "Well, that's interesting". My dad was in horror when I told him because the first two initials will be B.O. and he swore up and down that he would be tortured endlessly because of it.

That whole exchange really, really, I mean really sucked the wind out of my sails for a few days. Then I talked to my DD (15) who being in high school I figured could give me some perspective on the teasing potential of having the first two initials of your name be B.O. and she made me feel a million times better. Then my sister reminded my that her oldest DD's first two initals are B.M. and she is nearly finished with grade school and NO ONE has ever given her crap (no pun intended) about it.

Just give your baby a name you LOVE mama. If it's a name you relish the idea of repeating a million times over during the course of your life, than USE it.

...ooO*Ooo*ooO*Ooo...
#35 of 43 Old 09-23-2009, 07:38 PM

DDC crashing - My 15 yo dd's best girl friends name is Quinton, Quinn for short. I like it and it suits her well.
#36 of 43 Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Go for it. I love Quinn( it's my ds's name)! We've found it is still unique enough that we don't come across the name a lot. Actually we have only met one other male Quinn. Most of the Quinn's we've met or heard about have been girls! So there. I think it is very appropriate for a girl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgrl View Post
Ha - this was my fight about Ryan. On a resume, they'd think she was a boy. Super crappy, but could land her an interview if they were on the fence.

The super name is Quinn Taylor.

Turns out Quinn is more a boys name than a girls name - it was 280 for boys last year and 516 for girls: http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/.

I was so excited about it because it's not that common, which is important to me. Also, it's Irish (BD and I are both Irish/German). And it means "counsel" which can translate to "deliberate and purposeful" - two things which I am absolutely not and I hope she will be better at.

Taylor is the name of a town both my parents grew up in and that I lived in until I was 6. I have extended family on both sides still there; I think my Aunt is on the city council. Since LO and I are 2000 miles away, I thought this was a fitting way to honor the whole family by the name, but it's way too common (for me) for a first name.

3rd coworker is significantly older than me and started singing about Quinn the Eskimo.
#37 of 43 Old 09-23-2009, 09:59 PM

I love the name Quinn for a girl. I know one grown up Quinn (girl), and our friends just named their DD Quinn in July. Go for it! It's perfect!!!

We are also considering the name Ryann as a middle name for our little girl (after MIL Ann). We know another Ryann (2 yo girl), and I think it is a great twist on a classic name...and a little more feminine.

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#38 of 43 Old 09-24-2009, 02:39 AM

Quinn the Eskimo is awsome. The mighty Quinn is a great compliment especially if you love music, the Grateful Dead would sing that song and Dylan wrote it. I would name my kid Quinn if I didn't already know three boys with that name, one is my teacher. I never thought of it as a girls name, very creative and unique. I always like the girls name Gwen too. Sweet one syllable names. Everyone has an opinion huh... I guess it's better than being fake. But you can avoid annoying comments by just keeping it a secret. Just tell peeps you have a list, heck I won't even discuss this stuff with my Mom because I dont' want her opinions. She is bound to not like the name I pick, just like my grandparents didnt like my name until they got use to it and me...

Self employed 37 year old lady.gifMother of one 4 year old super herosuperhero.gifand wife to a lovely DH malesling.GIF who is my hero. Its been a long run but I am pregnant with #21sttri.gif due 10/10/14. goorganic.jpgnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.gifHere we go again....
#39 of 43 Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 AM

I like Quinn also. I am amazed at how many people here know girls named Quinn! I know boys only named quinn. Anyhoo, my nephew's name is Quinn Adam and I think it is a great name for either gender. If people don't like it, tell them tough crap. People keep suggesting names to us that are much more.. well, "soap opera" than we like, and I am so fed up that I am saying to them "You should have another baby so you can name him that!"

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#40 of 43 Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 AM

I love the name Quinn!!!
I know it's hard not to take it to heart what other people say. We nixed a few names that both DH and I loved because we told people them and they went "eww". So the name we have chosen now has remained a secret... well not quite I told my teenaged sisters what they thought and if there could be any bad nicknames associated with it. They both really liked the name (at least I think they do, but I just found out that one hated the name Grayson, and didn't tell me that until we decided to nix the name).
I would say go for Quinn Taylor if you feel like it is the right name, it is the right name. And nobody should be able to tell you otherwise.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#41 of 43 Old 09-24-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

This thread is pretty played out, so I'm hoping no one reads this.

I was watching Glee last night. There's a Quinn on Glee. I'm positive it was stuck in my head from the show when I looked at the Irish Baby Names list. Now the two Quinn pop culture references I have are from Glee, and Daria's little sister. I'm not sure I can name my kid after a character on Glee.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#42 of 43 Old 09-24-2009, 02:28 PM

My bff named her little girl after a character on Star Trek Deep Space 9. She was going to be the whole name: Kiera Narisse, but I (and some others I'm sure) convinced her that would be going a bit too far, so the little girl is Chloe Narisse.

Quinn is common enough elsewhere that I don't think she'd ever know it was some one on Glee, it could as easily have been your fond reminisces of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#43 of 43 Old 09-25-2009, 06:51 AM

quinn is an awesome name. i'm a little bit jealous.
i love the fact that i think of quinn the eskimo and the mighty quinn. two great references!

i suggest keeping your name ideas a secret. months ago, we told my FIL my first choice at the time and after his reaction it got pretty much dropped from the list. he later told my SIL the name, which she loved, and according to her, he was practically in tears because he realized the damage was already done and we weren't considering it much anymore. since then, we tell no one. if they press me, i'll just ask for their suggestions.

also, i don't know if you work in a family business, but your coworker is likely not someone you're going to develop a lifetime attachment to. value (or not) his opinion with that in mind. i imagine you will eventually forget his name, even! but your daughter, she'll always be there. so, i say name her what you want (yay quinn!!!) and forget him!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page