Naming rant !@#?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously, WHAT THE IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE????

I picked a name last night that I was SUPER excited about. I was going to try and keep it a secret until she got here, but I suck at that. Big time. I didn't even wait to tell, say, my mom, or someone important; I told people at work. My bad I suppose.

So I told three people. The first two were like "OMG it's the best one yet!" (I may have previously coached them on how dumb it is to ever say "ewwwwww" since my kid could end up named that.) The third?

3rd coworker: "Oh my GOD...WHY would you do that to your child? That's a BOYS name! You're not SERIOUS are you?"

Me:

I told him he was grounded from speaking to me, and that it was probably going to be her name so he should just deal with it. And now I'm because I'm not sure if I should scrap the name altogether, keep it but not tell anyone, or start telling the world.

I hate naming babies.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM

People can be really oblivious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgrl View Post
And now I'm because I'm not sure if I should scrap the name altogether, keep it but not tell anyone, or start telling the world.
Keep the name, and forget what other people say. There will always be someone who won't like a particular name. That's why we are not telling, because I don't want to deal with all the "how could you" crap. If you feel you want to tell, just be ready, that there are rude idiots around, who think there opinion matters.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM
pjs

You get to push the baby out of your private parts so you get exclusive naming rights. I wouldn't worry about what other peoples' thoughts are- once she's here that's who she'll be and people will love her for being her.

I'm dying to know what this perfect name is!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM

I have a girl with boy names. Morgan Reese. Well they are starting to be either or. But Its your baby's name and as long as it's not some bizarre name that your daughter will be ridiculed for, I think you should just ignore what other people say.

Just a side note, there have been many studies about gender discrimination based on names...so you'll actually do your girl a favor by giving her a more masculine name.

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmind View Post
Just a side note, there have been many studies about gender discrimination based on names...so you'll actually do your girl a favor by giving her a more masculine name.
Ha - this was my fight about Ryan. On a resume, they'd think she was a boy. Super crappy, but could land her an interview if they were on the fence.

The super name is Quinn Taylor.

Turns out Quinn is more a boys name than a girls name - it was 280 for boys last year and 516 for girls: http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/.

I was so excited about it because it's not that common, which is important to me. Also, it's Irish (BD and I are both Irish/German). And it means "counsel" which can translate to "deliberate and purposeful" - two things which I am absolutely not and I hope she will be better at.

Taylor is the name of a town both my parents grew up in and that I lived in until I was 6. I have extended family on both sides still there; I think my Aunt is on the city council. Since LO and I are 2000 miles away, I thought this was a fitting way to honor the whole family by the name, but it's way too common (for me) for a first name.

3rd coworker is significantly older than me and started singing about Quinn the Eskimo.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:06 PM
pjs

Don't know who Quinn the Eskimo is, but I think your name is fantastic. Quinn does not automatically sound like a boy name to me, though we do know one Quinn and he happens to be a boy. And Taylor is definitely not a strictly boys' name either. I would stick with the whole name, but you could always try and give a more feminine middle name that dd could choose to go by if she didn't like Quinn.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 PM

I like it. Only association for me is Dr. Quinn, and she was a woman
Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is totally a gender neutral name!

We loved it and it just happens to be DS's middle name.

When we found out we were pg again, DH was like "Darn. Why did we use Quinn as a middle name already? We should have totally saved it for a first name for the new baby whether it's a boy or girl."

So there.

Tell your coworker to kindly kiss your rear.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM

I like your first plan about waiting till the baby is born and then deciding on the name ... you had some good names and reasonings for them on the list!

and oh yea .... stupid coworker!

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

Old 09-22-2009, 05:21 PM

Aww...I think it is an AWESOME name! I have known both boy and girl Quinns and their names have suited them perfectly.

As for the song, I have really nice associations being a camp counselor to a special-needs boy named Quinn who derived great pride and power from singing "The *Mighty* Quinn." Brings a smile to my face!

And as for anyone who dares comment on your choice of name--beware! This has been a pet peeve of mine this pregnancy (as mama to future River). What could be more rude? How is it anyone's place to comment? I have ceased being polite to anyone who chooses to question or ridicule my son's name.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:44 PM

Thankfully, we've had nothing but good responses regarding our baby's name - Gabriel - and mostly good regarding the middle name - Lucas (it's because it's a family name and part of the family is against the part of the family we are honoring -oh well)

that said, Quinn is defo gender neutral could go either way, and Taylor, well, the most popular Taylor I know is a girl, Taylor Swift.

I say, if 2 out of 3 were good, don't let the naysayer change your mind!

-Katrina

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 PM

I considered Quinn for a while for this baby and its a girl. I ended up deciding on Lennon, which I have gotten a few negative respones too. I know its considered a boys name but since I have never met anyone with the name I'll use it however I want. I think you should stick with Quinn its really pretty!

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 PM

people are dumb.

I love Taylor. Quinn doesnt do anything for me, but I dont hate it or think its too 'boyish"
Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Keep it.

I don't know who Quinn the Eskimo is either...
Old 09-22-2009, 06:17 PM

"Quinn the Eskimo" is a song written by Bob Dylan (although I think "pop-ier" covers were made famous by Manfred Mann and The Hollies).

Here's a link...I dare you not to start dancing! Heck, I'm thinking of changing my baby's name to Quinn now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l1yG6-CbFA
Old 09-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I love the name Quinn!

Quote:
3rd coworker is significantly older than me and started singing about Quinn the Eskimo.
Wow, that's insulting, and she's really reaching since most people would only know that song by the title of The Mighty Quinn. Eskimo is considered a pejorative term now, for people, at least, in some parts of the world.

My first familiarity with the name Quinn was from the actress Quinn Cummings who was in that 70s show, Family. But apparently she also created her own baby carrier, the Hiphugger Baby Sling.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
People need to learn to hold their tongue!

I've resorted to telling people we haven't decided yet...which is partly true and partly because I don't want to listen to people's remarks...

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Ha - this was my fight about Ryan. On a resume, they'd think she was a boy. Super crappy, but could land her an interview if they were on the fence.

The super name is Quinn Taylor.
I was so excited about it because it's not that common, which is important to me. Also, it's Irish (BD and I are both Irish/German). And it means "counsel" .
Appropriate name for a lawyer's child! Also, I just heard a story on NPR about how statistically, women with masculine names are 5 times more likely to be successful and well-paid (especially in law and medicine) than women named femmy things (here's a link to an online report). So, Quinn will make more money than Lily or Ophelia. Not sure if you want her to be a lawyer or if it applies to all fields, but there it is...

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 PM

I don't have any strong feelings either way but it is a bit too close to quim. Which may or may not be an issue where you live.

If I were to use a unisex name I'd maybe add in an obviously girl/boy middle name.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 PM

We ran into the same problem. We liked the name Kieran for a boy. My mom said "Karen's a GIRL'S NAME!" (she happens to pronounce Karen like Kieran). Then we liked Donal. My stepfather said "you are NOT naming my grandson that!" Whatever. The next time I saw them, they asked me about names and I said "if we do, I will not be telling you because you both have something to say about every name we pick!"

So if we do choose one before the baby is born, we are not telling anyone!

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie View Post
I don't have any strong feelings either way but it is a bit too close to quim. Which may or may not be an issue where you live.
ing: I had never heard that term before. Professor Google just schooled me.

WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO HARD??????

Old 09-22-2009, 07:42 PM

Quinn is my SIL's name, so I think it's fine. As someone who has chosen very specific and unusual ethnic names for her children, I think you need to pick what you like and tell everybody else to go to hell.

, , , and
Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM

I grew up in Taylor too

I think it's a great name, and I see Quinn as a girl's name. I agree with the first two people, it's the best name yet

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:02 PM

I have a good friend who named her baby girl Quinn last year. It's adorable, especially because they have an Irish last name, too.

I love the name and don't think it's a "boys" name at all.
I say use it! It's beautiful and unique.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 PM

I love it! It was on my short list but DH nixed it.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:45 PM

I love that name! It's awesome

Forest wandering mama treehugger.gif to Z 14/02/08 homebirth.jpgand T 30/11/09 h20homebirth.gif.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 PM

if you like the name you should keep it. not everyone is going to like the name you pick unfortunately. me and my DH have this little guys name picked out, i told everyone and they were just like 'ok...', but then i told my step mom's, mom, and she went as far as to crinkle her nose and say "seriously?...", and then, "well i guess it's not AS BAD as that celebrity that named her kid apple".

i don't think many people like the name me and DH picked, but whatever, it's a great name! screw everyone else

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
Old 09-23-2009, 01:07 AM

I didn't even know that Quinn would ever be used as a boy name I have only met females with that name! I think it is wonderful! Go for it and do not let anyone sway you one way or the other. This is your baby not theirs!!!!

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
You get to push the baby out of your private parts so you get exclusive naming rights. I wouldn't worry about what other peoples' thoughts are- once she's here that's who she'll be and people will love her for being her.
So the dad should be left out of it?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quinn Taylor is a fine name. It's not a name that's so far out there, like K-aa (my fiance met a woman with that name, pronouced Ki-dash-uh, and she HATED it), or half the celeb baby names, that it'll attract negative attention. And it's not a blatant guy name, like David or Christopher. It may not be everyone's first choice or favorite, but it's a normal name that's either the gender of the baby or neutral. So don't worry what others think if you didn't ask.

User Tag List