A Way to feel your baby's head! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 09-26-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was almost due with my first baby, 14 years ago, my midwife told me to try this in the shower: put one finger up towards your cervix (yes, up THERE), and you can feel your baby's head through your front vaginal wall. It is really amazing.

I just remembered about this the other day, and thought I would try it even though I am still a few weeks away from my ripe time. I did it! She's RIGHT THERE. It made it all the more real to me, even realer than feeling her kicks in my belly.

As long as your cervix is still closed and your hands are clean (hence, doing it in the shower), I would think it's safe!

Laurie wash.gif (44), wife to DH thumb.gif(60), mama to DS guitar.gif (18), DS reading.gif(6), DSD heartbeat.gif(15), and DD (4)jog.gif 
#2 of 20 Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 PM

i check my cervis and i got in trouble at my OB for it and i said to the nurse well can i still have sex? and she said oh yes you are fine for sex OK well do you REally think my husband penis that he PEES out of is cleaner then my finger in the shower? she just kind of looked at me stunned and walked away get real ob and nurse you think sex is a clean act?

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#3 of 20 Old 09-26-2009, 11:11 PM

I do this too. It's neat to feel his little head.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#4 of 20 Old 09-26-2009, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
LMAO Shakenbake, that is hilarious! So true!!

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#5 of 20 Old 09-27-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake View Post
i check my cervis and i got in trouble at my OB for it and i said to the nurse well can i still have sex? and she said oh yes you are fine for sex OK well do you REally think my husband penis that he PEES out of is cleaner then my finger in the shower? she just kind of looked at me stunned and walked away get real ob and nurse you think sex is a clean act?
BWAHAHAHA i wish you lived nearer to me IRL--you would totally fit in w/my crowd :

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#6 of 20 Old 09-27-2009, 02:52 AM

Yeah, it's cool! I told my midwife after having three babies (and being too chicken to check myself), I was still so surprised that the birth canal (vagina) is *that* short. For some odd reason, I had this visual in my mind that it was like 4 feet long and that it would take the baby this huge amount of time to make her way through to crowning, What was I thinking??? I wonder if that realization may make the pushing stage that much shorter this time round b/c I KNOW how close baby is!

FWIW, I can "find" my cervix much easier when I am sitting, like on the toilet, don't hafta reach as much.

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 20 Old 09-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Banned

I've thought the same thing. If we can put penises in us without scrubbing and sterilizing them, what's wrong with our own fingers?
#8 of 20 Old 09-27-2009, 02:23 PM

neato, i'm going to try it
#9 of 20 Old 09-27-2009, 02:26 PM

Honestly, I cannot find my cervix anymore. I am pretty sure, it must be there somewhere, but I cannot find it

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#10 of 20 Old 09-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb3 View Post
Yeah, it's cool! I told my midwife after having three babies (and being too chicken to check myself), I was still so surprised that the birth canal (vagina) is *that* short. For some odd reason, I had this visual in my mind that it was like 4 feet long and that it would take the baby this huge amount of time to make her way through to crowning,
ME TOO! I have heard of people pushing for 2 hours. I pushed with my first for about 5 min (3 pushes and he was out) and 20 with DD. But hearing someone pushed for 2 hours... you would think the birth canal WAS 4 feet long!

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#11 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 01:54 PM

ummm i can't find my cervix

2004 2009
#12 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
ME TOO! I have heard of people pushing for 2 hours. I pushed with my first for about 5 min (3 pushes and he was out) and 20 with DD. But hearing someone pushed for 2 hours... you would think the birth canal WAS 4 feet long!
2 hours can happen because the mom is told to push before her body has labored down and she has a real pushing urge, because the baby is still high up when she does start feeling the urge to push, because the baby gets stuck behind the pubic bone, because mom has longish breaks between pushing contactions, because of a nuchal hand, because baby is posterior, because it's the first baby and it's just easing its way down the birth canal...lots of reasons. Sometimes a longer second stage is good because it gives the tissues more time to stretch. Babies can cause lots of tearing and pelvic floor damage from shooting out like little rockets, and it's no good to push for 15 minutes and then spend an hour and a half getting stitched back together again!

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#13 of 20 Old 09-28-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle C. View Post
I've thought the same thing. If we can put penises in us without scrubbing and sterilizing them, what's wrong with our own fingers?
What a lovely bedroom scene!!!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#14 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake View Post
Hahah! Great!

I checked my cervix all the time when I was TTC, but just yesterday I checked it during pregnancy. It was so different! Pretty posterior, but easy to reach, extremely mushy, I could fit my finger in there easily.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#15 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollusk View Post
ummm i can't find my cervix
I am not the only one

#16 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltree View Post
I am not the only one
Me three! Maybe my birth canal really is 4 feet long???
Well, that's not exactly true, I did feel my cervix...though it was very difficult to tell because all of the tissue feels very soft and mushy, but I certainly couldn't tell if there was any dilation and I couldn't feel the baby's head.
#17 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

You aren't going to feel the head through the cervix....just push your finger against the wall of the birth canal (for me it is toward the front of my body) and you might be able to feel the head there. I just said up toward your cervix so you would get the idea that you really have to go in there!

Laurie wash.gif (44), wife to DH thumb.gif(60), mama to DS guitar.gif (18), DS reading.gif(6), DSD heartbeat.gif(15), and DD (4)jog.gif 
#18 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolvingMama View Post
just push your finger against the wall of the birth canal (for me it is toward the front of my body) and you might be able to feel the head there.
Yep, that worked. I put the garlic clove in and found a head! It definitely is not 4ft long

#19 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 07:55 PM

I can feel the head...it's at the top of the uterus. I can swish it back and forth. No cervix checking for me!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#20 of 20 Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
I can feel the head...it's at the top of the uterus. I can swish it back and forth. No cervix checking for me!
Eeee! Breech, huh? Is that weird having a head between your ribs versus a butt or legs?

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page