Nov. Homebirth mom's in Oct! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What we of Nov is your EDD?
Due Week of Nov 1 18 27.27%
Due Week of Nov 8 12 18.18%
Due Week of Nov 15 13 19.70%
Due Week of Nov 22 12 18.18%
Due Week of Nov 29 7 10.61%
Not due in Nov but close enough to be here! 4 6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 189 Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this on my blog yesterday, but since I can't link the blog I just c+p to here...

You might be 37 weeks pregnant...
...if you desperately have to go to the potty, and when you get there it hits you that you did this just 20 minutes ago.
...and you can't make much of anything.
...and even after emptying your bladder it doesn't feel much different.
...if you've definitely got that waddle goin' on.
...if you can't get comfortable on any couch or chair in your house, and have taken to carrying around an exercise ball (aka "birth ball") to sit on instead.
...if all the baby everything in the house is washed, the crib is set up, and you've made up your bed with an old shower curtain under the sheet (in case your water breaks in the middle of the night) because you don't want to ruin your new mattress.
...if your hips feel sortof loose and sore, like you just spent 20 minutes in a deep yoga squat...except you didn't. (That's the relaxin kicking in--getting everything nice and loose so the kiddo can slide through!)
...if you can feel that head nestled in your pelvis, and that foot pushing on your rib, and see one half of your belly sticking out further than the other half because that's the side where the kiddo's back is.
...and you can see precisely where his little bottom is, so sometimes you pat it because you know it's cute even though you can't see it yet.
...if you need to pee at least once and often twice every night.
...if getting out of bed is a production, especially if it involves rolling over, and you know that if you were so short-sighted as to lay down on the floor you might never ever get up again.
...if you feel a renewed commitment to taking your red raspberry leaf, cod liver oil, probiotics, and drinking lots and lots of water.
...if your dinner appetite is about the same as the two-year-old's (because your stomach is also about the same size).
...if you feel tired pretty much from the time you wake up, and yet you have these weird bursts of energy wherein you deep clean the bathroom or wash all the towels and sheets in the whole house.
...if you got three times the normal number of braxton hicks yesterday (including a couple strong enough to count as honest-to-goodness contractions) because your body seemed to know that 37 weeks is officially "full term" and therefore in the clear for labor to start.
...if you have to go to the potty again.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#122 of 189 Old 10-22-2009, 03:57 PM

My Aquaborn came today- YAY! I'm super excited to air it up but it says let it come to room temp in the box for 12 hours before airing it up? That seems silly, especially since right before that on the box it says "Inflate your pool TODAY to check for factory defects!" 12 hours would be at 2 a.m tomorrow.... I'm going to air it up tonight to check for leaks since you only have 48 hours to return pools for defects from YourWaterBirth.com. Hopefully its in perfect condition though and I won't have to worry about any of that. Wheeeee, I'm going to DTD tonight now that its here! LOL, I was afraid of sending myself into labor with that before the pool got here...
#123 of 189 Old 10-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cash View Post
My Aquaborn came today- YAY! I'm super excited to air it up but it says let it come to room temp in the box for 12 hours before airing it up? That seems silly, especially since right before that on the box it says "Inflate your pool TODAY to check for factory defects!"
I wondered the same thing. It is sorta confusing.

Then I wondered if I wanted to open it now and *test* it because there is a greater likelihood of it getting *accidently* damaged by DD if it's opened than it being damaged already...I'm pretty sure.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#124 of 189 Old 10-22-2009, 04:45 PM

brightonwoman -- love it. Very, very true.

I am embarrassed over how much I am napping throughout the day. And then I get up and furiously clean. Then lay back down and nap. And then pee. and then eat.

My son has started offering to help me when I try to get out of bed, or out of a chair, or off the couch -- I guess because I grunt and groan so much. He takes one hand and then puts his other hand on my belly and says, "Here, Mommy, let me help you because you're pwegnant."

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#125 of 189 Old 10-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExuberantDaffodil View Post
My son has started offering to help me when I try to get out of bed, or out of a chair, or off the couch -- I guess because I grunt and groan so much. He takes one hand and then puts his other hand on my belly and says, "Here, Mommy, let me help you because you're pwegnant."

Yep, ds is 2.5 and does some of that "I help you mommy"...what's even funnier though is that (like many kids his age) he's concluded that he has a baby in his tummy too. He periodically makes comments about his baby being hungry or tired or whatever (usually it's "my baby is hungry so I need food!!" or something like that). What's the funniest though is that I've been watching a couple of birth movies with him to help him prepare to be there when this baby is born, and of course in the movies the various mothers are making different sorts of noises as they labor... the other night DS snuggled up to me and started going "mmmmmm, hmmmmmmmm, hmmmmmmm" and I asked him what he as doing and he said "I'm workin to get my baby out!"

#126 of 189 Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
the other night DS snuggled up to me and started going "mmmmmm, hmmmmmmmm, hmmmmmmm" and I asked him what he as doing and he said "I'm workin to get my baby out!"
That's so cute!!!

I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#127 of 189 Old 10-22-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
...if you can feel that head nestled in your pelvis, and that foot pushing on your rib, and see one half of your belly sticking out further than the other half because that's the side where the kiddo's back is.
...and you can see precisely where his little bottom is, so sometimes you pat it because you know it's cute even though you can't see it yet.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#128 of 189 Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
...if your dinner appetite is about the same as the two-year-old's (because your stomach is also about the same size).[/I]

We had a pot luck lunch last Friday at work for Boss's Day and everyone was like "EAT! EAT! PREGNANT LADY EAT!!!!!!" to which I responded "my stomach is SO TINY right now you have no idea." So my boss says "Boy, you should see yourself from the SIDE!"

Thankfully I thought it was hilarious, instead of getting pregnantly emotional.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#129 of 189 Old 10-22-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgrl View Post

We had a pot luck lunch last Friday at work for Boss's Day and everyone was like "EAT! EAT! PREGNANT LADY EAT!!!!!!" to which I responded "my stomach is SO TINY right now you have no idea." So my boss says "Boy, you should see yourself from the SIDE!"

Thankfully I thought it was hilarious, instead of getting pregnantly emotional.
Yep, that made me laugh out loud!

#130 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 08:33 AM

Today is my little girl's fourth birthday--four years ago this minute I was lying on the couch timing contractions on the VCR clock going "OMG if this is supposed to last three days I don't think I can hold out"--fortunately it didn't last that long! I'm going to put a strawberry cake in the oven for her as soon as dh gets his breakfast out of it.

I'm in an obscene amount of hip pain....Dh and I made love last night and that part felt really good but the positioning made every other muscle in my body scream, and then the hip pain upon trying to sleep, even with extra pillows...just pretty bad. You'd think pregnant women would be able to stock up on sleep in preparation for having a newborn, but it doesn't work like that.

I had my 36-week midwife appointment yesterday and got the GBS test (thankfully they let me go in the bathroom and do it myself) and was told that the baby is head down but sort of a quarter turn off--she's pretty sure I have an anterior placenta the baby doesn't want to be back-to-back with, so it's in there sideways with its back on my right side and its feet on the top left. She said it will probably rotate on its own during labor, but I should still spend lots of time on my hands and knees. Other than that I'm pretty healthy. We talked about "things to do differently at this birth" like preventing tearing, which she reassured me would be MUCH easier with a headfirst baby. She said my nutrition would make a difference too, but I didn't ask for specifics because I was afraid of what she might say.

I guess that's it--a fourth birthday and trying to get over hip pain!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#131 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 02:02 PM

Happy Birthday to your dd!! My dd just turned 4 a few weeks ago. I can't believe she used to be my 8 lb newborn! She's a little giant now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliacat View Post
She said my nutrition would make a difference too, but I didn't ask for specifics because I was afraid of what she might say.

I hope you can get some good zzz's before the baby comes.

#132 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
She said my nutrition would make a difference too, but I didn't ask for specifics because I was afraid of what she might say.
Clearly if we eat more fatty and oily foods, we will have much more pliable skin thereby minimizing tearing. Pizza night again!

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#133 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 02:27 PM

ROFL vegargrl--i think it's more like Omega 3's and bioflavonoids, but i'll go along with the pizza theory if you're buying!

hip pain--OMG i feel ya. I am kinda "loosely strung together" anyways, so when pregnant, every. single. thing. cracks, pops, etc. i was seriously wishing i had some sort of suspension device so that i could hang my top leg from the ceiling last nite, instead of having to readjust every 15 minutes cause my hip had to pop again! my dh told me i was kinky.

just sitting here, i have to keep making small movements every few miinutes to pop my hips. i think my bone issues are beyond massage-help or anything else--i'm looking forward to the birth for relief at this point!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#134 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Being well hydrated should help with skin elasticity...that's the one thing I know is lots and lots of water. (And caffeine is a dehydrator, so avoid that)
Also avoiding sugar...I don't know whether that specifically affects skin elasticity, but it does impair the immune system, so logic suggests that it might inhibit the skin's ability to be up to par if that makes sense...

#135 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 02:32 PM

Re: hips
Oh man, mine aren't popping, but they are loooose. I don't remember them being like this last time, but in the last few days they are just hangin out...it's weird. I think labor may be closer than I'd anticipated...just gotta wait till sunday baby, gotta wait till sunday (cuz i've got a bunch of ladies coming over to do henna with me tomorrow, and I do NOT want to have to cancel that )

#136 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Clearly if we eat more fatty and oily foods, we will have much more pliable skin thereby minimizing tearing. Pizza night again!
So the bread and butter, cupcake, donut holes, Andes mints, cheesy eggy breakfast taco, and cinnamon roll I've had today are contributing to an easier delivery? Wow! Now I don't feel so bad!

#137 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:

I love it.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#138 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 04:31 PM

Now I don't feel like a freak for popping my hips multiple times an evening. You ladies are invaluable.

And we should start an "Eating Pizza to Prevent Tearing" tribe.

#139 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 07:58 PM

Ok, so went to see the OB today (I have a midwife, but wanted to register at the hospital in case of an emergency transfer, and of course I had to get a doctor and go see him...) and it kinda sucked! He basically tried to scare the crap out of me... nicely. He told me that I needed to have a hospital birth under any of the following circumstances: GBS+, meconium, oh and there were more, but I am having pregnancy brain!
Then he told me that if I am GBS+ that I would basically be killing my baby to have her at home as she could crash at any moment after birth, and I wouldn't be able to catch it.
Next he told me that since this was my first baby, I will probably NOT be able to handle the pain and will NEED to have an epidural and to definitely come into the hospital for it. Now, the only part of the whole appt. that actually freaked me out was that last part... because as a first time momma, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT pain wise. And, as I have mentioned previously, that is the part I am scared of anyway. So blah! Any mommas here have a homebirth as their first birth? Anyway... I now know why people get so freaked out about birth... if I had to see a doctor from the beginning, I would be signed up for the epidural or cesarean first thing too! I am so glad to have a midwife!!!

OH! And then he measured my belly and said that I am at 32cm! The midwife has said I am at 35... what the heck!!? He basically just laid the tape on me tho, and she seems to do it a little more in depth. He told me that because I am measuring only 32 cm, that I may have intrauterine growth restriction! But, I have been measuring fine all along with my midwife... I think he enjoyed toying with my obviously "hippy-dippy homebirthing" mind. He treated me like I knew nothing at all and that was pretty frustrating after doing all the research and work that I have done to come to this decision. Oh well.
#140 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
OH! And then he measured my belly and said that I am at 32cm! The midwife has said I am at 35... what the heck!!? He basically just laid the tape on me tho, and she seems to do it a little more in depth. He told me that because I am measuring only 32 cm, that I may have intrauterine growth restriction! But, I have been measuring fine all along with my midwife... I think he enjoyed toying with my obviously "hippy-dippy homebirthing" mind.
He's the one who doesn't know anything! With all four of mine I have stopped measuring correctly the last few weeks or so because...drum roll please...the baby DROPPED. That's what happens when the baby drops....snork! The fundal height drops, too, since the baby is down further. Sheesh Two weeks ago, at 34 weeks, I measured 34. Wow. Whoopee. This week, at 36 weeks, I measured...30! This baby is hanging out of my body, probably watching TV or something. Of course I'm measuring smaller! What's important is everything else and how she's been growing the whole time....ignore him. Sorry you had to deal with that. When I was doc shopping with my 2nd baby, I had to go through this crap, too. It was ridiculous, scary, and very, very stressful. Fortunately, I found a doc who is sensible. And a mw who knows her stuff....good luck and don't fear IUGR. That is something serious and I doubt that you actually have that...ask your mw!

Perdita, wife to J, mom to Bridget (6), Ivy (4) Trace (2) and Fiona, my 3rd vbac baby, born 12/2/09!
#141 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Next he told me that since this was my first baby, I will probably NOT be able to handle the pain and will NEED to have an epidural and to definitely come into the hospital for it.
BS!!!!

I handled the pain just fine with my first! I planned a homebirth but ended up at the hospital at 42 weeks with PIH. I could have had an epidural any time I wanted! Or a shot of morphine (offered) or maybe even a huff of gas!! But I was happy as a clam in that lovely warm bathtub, TYVM, it was all I needed.

My experience with labor-pain was that it was hardly half as bad as all the brainwashing (ie tv shows, movies, horror stories from my mom etc) I'd been fed my whole life.

#142 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 10:06 PM

stilllearning - what a bs OB. We'll call him b'SOB from now, ok? OK. I didn't have a homebirth for my first, but I did manage to birth my baby without an epidural. And I'm not, like, superwoman or anything. You can do it! And I was measuring a week or so ahead until my Babe turned head down, and now I am measuring somewhere between a week behind and right on. Measurements can vary greatly between different people measuring, anyway.

#143 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 PM

Thanks all!!! I need all the confidence I can get at this point! You all rock!
#144 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 10:50 PM

I had my first baby in a hospital--could have had any pain stuff I wanted. Didn't use the tub for active labor (by the time we went to the hospital I was too tired to bother getting up and going over there ) and honestly it never occured to me to ask for pain meds. Labor was intense, yep, but not the kind of thing where you need to get knocked out.
I think that at least some male OBs figure they are being sensitive and compassionate to push meds because a lot of women do seem to think they need them...and the male OB has never birthed so what does he know, you know? The books say it hurts, the women say it hurts, so he believes them... but I'd trust women who have been there first, and in my experience women say a wide range of things--mostly based on their expectations and preparation. If you've planned for the epi and can't get it, you'll be miserable...but if you've planned and prepared (both physically and mentally) for an unmedicated birth, you have a very very very good chance of doing just fine with following your plan.

#145 of 189 Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 PM

yeahhh i had a birth centre birth with my first, and didn't have pain meds or want them. I wasn't IN PAIN--I've never experienced pain except when my first was crowning, cause that kiddo was an 8lb 7oz baby with a 15cm head circumference (well, and with afterpains, after the births, but i can take tylenol for that! )!

The contrax are WAY *intense*, but i wouldn't categorize that feeling as pain. Labor is like an out-of-body experience or something--it's really hard to describe how it feels.

if you label a feeling as pain before you've even felt it, then i think it will be more likely to conform to your expectation and feel painful....yk?

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#146 of 189 Old 10-24-2009, 02:52 AM

I have to agree with everyone else forget the OB! I never considered an epidural with my first either, never ever. The one thing I was thinking toward the end? I want a nap I am sooo tired, but the pain was not bad, actually I wouldn't categorize it as painful except the end and pushing him out. You will do great, just focus on relaxing and taking it one contraction at a time- it always helped me to remember as well that they only last so long- You can do it!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#147 of 189 Old 10-24-2009, 12:43 PM

stilllearning! What a crummy appointment that must have been.

For the record, this:

Quote:
as a first time momma, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT pain wise.
is the only part I agree with. Of course, th OB has no idea how you'll handle the pain either, so where does he get off claiming with such authority that you'll "need" an epi?

As for the rest of the nonsense he spouted:

Untreated GBS+ mamas have only a very small chance of passing the infection on to their babes (I forget the exact number ... 0.5% or 1.5%, something like that). Additionally, GBS can be treated at home before birth in a number of ways--and even if it's not, you can watch babe for signs of infection, just like you would for anything else!

I have a friend whose baby was GBS+ and a preemie. It was pretty scary. She was in NICU for about two months and will have lifelong complications because of the lung scarring. However, she was born at an OOH birth center. The MW saw some signs that she was not reacting well and they immediately transferred to the hospital. She would not have gotten any better/faster care had she been born there.

Meconium in the fluid is usually not a problem. Only if it is aspirated. For "light" meconium you're not supposed to do anything special. Most MWs I have spoken to would transfer for heavy meconium anyway.

Anyway, I'll stop now because I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#148 of 189 Old 10-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Next he told me that since this was my first baby, I will probably NOT be able to handle the pain and will NEED to have an epidural and to definitely come into the hospital for it. Now, the only part of the whole appt. that actually freaked me out was that last part... because as a first time momma, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT pain wise. And, as I have mentioned previously, that is the part I am scared of anyway. So blah! Any mommas here have a homebirth as their first birth?. Oh well.
My first was a homebirth. It was intense and not pain-free, but it was wonderful and manageble and I would never do it any other way! You can do it. Your body was meant to give birth on it's own.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#149 of 189 Old 10-26-2009, 03:09 PM

Had my almost 37 weeks appointment today. Did GBS swap test and cervical check. I am 2cm, baby head down but high, not effaced, cervix slightly posterior. Sounds fine to me. Got my birth tub, gave them my birth plan and direction to my house and am about to order my supply kit online. yay!

#150 of 189 Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM

Did my henna on my belly this weekend! YAY!! I'm very happy with it (unlike last time).
The pool is mostly inflated and leaning against the wall (it's slow to inflate all the chambers, so I took someone's advice and left it mostly full so that it'll be quick to just top it off and then fill with water when labor starts). Everything else is in a box next to it and ready to go...aside from gathering up some towels and stuff when labor actually starts.

My mw is doing a home visit after all--this week (I'll be 38+1!! although on her records she's going with 3 days later because that's what the u/s said, and even though we both know that my date is more accurate, she uses the latest one for her records because it gives her a longer window for being still legally allowed to attend the birth--she's required to transfer if I go past 42wks and since more moms go later rather than earlier she uses the latest date she can ) Anyway, I don't remember any of my mom's midwives doing home visits so when others of you started talking about it I thought huh, that's interesting, I guess my mw doens't do them...but I guess she does!

I had some very not braxton-hicks-ish contractions last night. They weren't painless squeezing, they were very much in my cervix and had a more pinching-poking-twinging feel to them. I kinda started to wonder if labor was starting but there were only a half dozen of them over the course of a half hour, and then they stopped. This morning I tried to check my cervix again to see if maybe it was starting to come down or open up, but I still cant' reach it at all, so I'm guessing we still have a little while. But it's definitely getting there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page