Question about twinges on cervix, or "lightning crotch" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking that I've heard this called "lightning crotch" by a mama on here. So I'm thinking I must not be the only one who feels like sometimes an electric shock is going through the cervix. It's been happening for probably 3 weeks now, and at first I thought it was perhaps his little hand pushing on the cervix. But I know his head is firmly in my pelvis now and I can feel his hands pushing on my pelvic bone so it's not that.
So what is it? I don't remember having this with my other two. But then neither of them dropped early so is it something to do with the pressure he is putting on my cervix. I also feel a lot of pressure and I know that I'm starting to soften, efface and dilate. But I'm just wondering what the electric shocks are exactly?

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 05:53 PM

I'm not sure exactly, but I've felt this too. It even elicits a very particular sound from me when it happens--something like, "eeeee-yah!"

It almost feels like he's twisting his head or that his head is bumping down a bit.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:18 PM

I've had this before I was ever pregnant. So, I think it's just something to do with the cervix opening.

Sometimes though, when baby A kicks or punches ... I swear I can feel it in my vagina! LOL

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

Old 10-05-2009, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had it with DD from about 8 months on...this time I haven't had it yet.

I do think baby had dropped some though! I did the stairs this afternoon (after my MASSIVE Shrimp Po-Boy and fries lunch) and it was very different feeling than before, like my legs were 'bumping' him...IDK. Kinda cool though cause I never dropped w/ DD.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsca View Post
I'm thinking that I've heard this called "lightning crotch" by a mama on here. So I'm thinking I must not be the only one who feels like sometimes an electric shock is going through the cervix. It's been happening for probably 3 weeks now, and at first I thought it was perhaps his little hand pushing on the cervix. But I know his head is firmly in my pelvis now and I can feel his hands pushing on my pelvic bone so it's not that.
So what is it? I don't remember having this with my other two. But then neither of them dropped early so is it something to do with the pressure he is putting on my cervix. I also feel a lot of pressure and I know that I'm starting to soften, efface and dilate. But I'm just wondering what the electric shocks are exactly?
I have no idea what's going on either, but that is EXACTLY what I've been feeling the last few weeks also!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:09 PM

I'm feeling it too! Probably for about a week now. It's a really weird feeling.

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 PM

I've had that same feeling during ovulation. I have a feeling it has something to do with the cervix dilating.

My husband and I are trying to conceive again, while missing our beautiful daughter who was stillborn Jan. 2010
Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 PM

I call it lightening crotch because it's the most accurate description I've been able to put together for my husband to explain how it feels.

I think it's mostly the baby pressing down on the cervix, although it could be the cervix effacing a bit. I don't think it's related to dilation because I've had an internal at my last two appointments, and I hadn't dilated further at my last appointment, even though I'd had a LOT of lightening crotch.

I've had an awful lot of it today combined with contractions, so I'm wondering if I'd made any progress today...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I've been getting the lightening crotch too....which is why I'm up right now online! Can't relax, and the baby is all arms and legs at the moment. S/he is pushing from all directions, and every now and then I'll get a horrible jab on the cervix. It hurts! But I do kegels when it happens, and that helps a little.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 10-06-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bena View Post
I have no idea what's going on either, but that is EXACTLY what I've been feeling the last few weeks also!!!
Ditto. Thought it was ds #3's little hand when I was pregnant with him, who knows? With this baby #4, I do know that I am feeling this sensation again, just as you described, and I don't think it's just the baby this time. It's odd that my mw doesn't have any suggestions for what causes this feeling, as she's attended hundreds of births. Wish I knew why!

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

Old 10-06-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by it, and also not the only one getting it. I think I become more 'scientific' with each pregnancy. It's not that I need to know what it is exactly, but I sure would like to know. I'm going to ask my dr at tomorrow's appointment, see what she says.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth

User Tag List