birth announcements (the kind you mail out) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone shopping around for paper birth announcements? I got an ad from Shutterfly yesterday and it looks like they have some cute ones.. I have also checked out tinyprints.com and they have some cute ones.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#2 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 AM

etsy has some cute cards as well. But I think we'll do our own design and just have them as photos printed and then glue them to empty cards.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#3 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

That is a good idea, Beltree! With DD, we didn't have any other children so we did her birth announcement as a holiday card. This time, I am debating if we should do a picture of the two of them (but how?? she is too little to hold a baby) and do a holiday card/birth announcement combo.

Ooh- I forgot that we could also do a picture of the new baby by himself and then a picture of the two of them (I will NOT be in any pictures right now- I look like death chewing a cracker).

I am going to check Etsy but I am having a coronary at the $1.99 each cards on shutterfly!

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#4 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 08:34 AM

I think we'll probably do a combo announcement/holiday card (and write thank you's on the back--so it's a 3-in-one). I also agree that shutterfly's prices have gone waaaay up (but they've also gone the way of the trendy stationary designs too). Anyone have any cute, but cheaper alternatives??
#5 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 08:42 AM

DDC crashing because I've thought a lot about this!

If you look around at all of the photo printers, you will find *someone* having a sale. I like winkflash more than shutterfly or snapfish, but I've used all three (and also zazzle) depending on the deal.

One option might be to do the holiday card and choose one of the templates with a few picture spaces-- then you could have a large family picture and two smaller, one of older child and one of younger child.

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#6 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 09:38 AM

Every year since I've been out of college, I've sent a photo Christmas card. First it was me and my cat, then when dh and I became an item (the year before we got married) it was him and me and my cat, every year until we had dd. Dd was born at the end of October and that year I sent out a card with a picture of just her (taken on Thanksgiving in a Christmas dress), with her full name, birthdate, and weight. The next three years I sent cards with all four of us. This year I am planning on sending a Christmas card with both children, including the baby's full name, birthdate, and weight. Which is just as well since my cat died and then starting next year I will start sending cards with dh, me, and both children.

I usually pick the picture first, then try layouts on Snapfish, Shutterfly, and Kodak Gallery, find my favorites, then price them. I seem to remember I went with Shutterfly last year because I liked it better and with a coupon it was only like $5 more expensive than Snapfish. But it just depends on the year. I always go with the 4x8 size (I think) and a single photo. It seems simpler that way.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#7 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

DD's birth announcement/ holiday card was from shutterfly, it was a red card with snowflakes or something, and her picture. Then we put her name, weight, DOB, etc, and "wishing you peace and joy this holiday season". We saved money, I think, doing it that way... rather than announcements AND holiday cards. And only half the stamps!

My cousin has, in the past, done the baby's picture (loose) tucked into the holiday card with his stats on the back. From one of those sheets of pictures you can order (16 wallets for $1.99 or whatever. not a bad idea...)

I am trying to do little things to prepare myself so I don't have as much to do when the baby arrives. It is hard enough to worry about meals, dipes, laundry, etc. and visitors...

#8 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Ours is almost ready to go: it's a double-sided 5x7 card (so it will fit perfectly in a photo frame for the grandparents) that I designed in Photoshop. I'm just waiting for the baby so I can add his photo and his stats. I use a local printer who is very reasonably priced and who has a really quick turnaround time.

We'll do a separate Christmas card with pics of both kiddos. I haven't decided what I want to do for that yet.
#9 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 11:21 AM

i always use vistaprint.com for annoucements, bday invites, and party invites.

If you sign up to get email ads from them, every single day they'll send you coupons for 10 free announcements or 100 free postcards (which are exactly the same thing so just order the postcards since you get more...you can change the backside template easiliy) and more. They have tons of ready made templates or you can upload a blank one and design it yourself. It's awesome.

The shipping is $5 for a max 21 day delivery. $14 for 14 days and $25 for less than 3 day delivery.

You can design it yourself front and back, and add images. I love the quality of their products and they're cheap. 100 announcements for $25 with their level of professionalism can't be beat IMO.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#10 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired007 View Post
i always use vistaprint.com for annoucements, bday invites, and party invites.

If you sign up to get email ads from them, every single day they'll send you coupons for 10 free announcements or 100 free postcards (which are exactly the same thing so just order the postcards since you get more...you can change the backside template easiliy) and more. They have tons of ready made templates or you can upload a blank one and design it yourself. It's awesome.

The shipping is $5 for a max 21 day delivery. $14 for 14 days and $25 for less than 3 day delivery.

You can design it yourself front and back, and add images. I love the quality of their products and they're cheap. 100 announcements for $25 with their level of professionalism can't be beat IMO.
Wow- good prices! I will definitely look into it. I could even do 21-day shipping to get my stuff out by the holidays since they are not letting me go past 39 weeks. Thanks for the recommendation!

#11 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 12:00 PM

I got my DS's announcements from tinyprints.com and they were SO cute. However, even though I addressed them all, we were moving while I was doing that and I ended up not mailing one of them out. Isn't that awful? There were at least 50. I still have them somewhere.... I might try to get an announcement done and actually mailed out this time but I'm not holding out too much hope since it will be right before the holidays.
#12 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
Wow- good prices! I will definitely look into it. I could even do 21-day shipping to get my stuff out by the holidays since they are not letting me go past 39 weeks. Thanks for the recommendation!
Yeah, since I plan my dd's bday partys like 3 months in advance (i'm like an uber nerd) I always order them early so for $5 I get the best looking invites that people are always raving about. It looks like I spent so much money on them and no one would ever guess just $5!! tee hee!

And sometimes they even come early by a week!

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#13 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

This site has lots of cute ones...
http://www.smallfri.com/baby-photo-b...uncements.html

Still, though, I am so cheap that $1.88 each is too steep for me. But I do really love some of them!

#14 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 12:50 PM

I was thinking of this yesterday! I'll probably include DD in the photo for cuteness sake...she's so excited!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#15 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 02:14 PM

tinyprints has specific combo birth announcement/holiday greeting cards.

I was thinking Etsy too, but I'm not sure I want the work of having to get the pictures printed and then stick them in there (I'm lazy enough as it is).

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#16 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 02:20 PM

awwww i like the idea oh the chartmas card/announcement!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#17 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 02:30 PM

I haven't started looking yet but I'll do a combo announcement/holiday card, most likely. There is no way I will be organized enough to send out two different cards.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#18 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I checked out some of the Etsy ones- looks like with alot of them, they design them and send you the design and you print it out on your own computer, which would be DISASTROUS for me because I am a technological idiot. I can see it now... hundreds of dollars in printer ink and photo paper, all for cards that are not lined up right.

This is the one I was thinking about....
http://www.smallfri.com/page/SFA/PRO...ys/TND-Q2-1085
or this one:
http://babyshere.com/Striped-Paisley...uncements.html

#19 of 19 Old 10-16-2009, 04:14 PM

Oooh...I'm liking http://www.paperspring.com

I love this one:
http://www.paperspring.com/tcards/ph...green-619.html

and this one:
http://www.paperspring.com/tcards/ph...gundy-614.html

What a like about this site is it looks like you can customize ALL of the text so that it can include birth announcement info as well as a holiday greeting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page