Thirsty ALL the time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else thirsty all the time? I drink water all day long and now all night long and I am always thirsty. I drank a lot of water before I was pregnant but this is just crazy! Last night I drank almost 2 liters of water from the time I went to bed to the time I got up this morning, and I was still thirsty, and annoyed from peeing constantly! Is this normal or should I talk to my OB about it?

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

#2 of 15 Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintattoo View Post
Last night I drank almost 2 liters of water from the time I went to bed to the time I got up this morning, and I was still thirsty, and annoyed from peeing constantly! Is this normal or should I talk to my OB about it?
My friend has gestational diabetes and she says she is SO THIRSTY all the time! Especially at night too, she could drink so much water, but then she'd have to get up and pee it all out.

I think it's something to look into.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#3 of 15 Old 10-22-2009, 08:00 PM

i have to have ice 24/7 my poor ice maker cant keep up i just want ice and water ALL the time and i know im GD neg so idk hun

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#4 of 15 Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 PM

Extreme thirst can be a sign of GD.

I've never had GD but had a huge thirst for water during both this pregnancy and my last. Like I have to have ice cold water within reach constantly and can drink an entire glass in seconds. I pee all the time too. Since it is possible to drink too much water (apparently it can work against oxytocin), I try to be conscious of whether I am actually thirsty or just reaching for it out of habit. I've noticed that I can be just as content with a few sips instead of chugging the whole glass IF the water is super cold.
#5 of 15 Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM

I'm thirsty too. I'm usually up 3 times in the night to alternately drink/pee! Ugh. It would be nice to get a decent night's sleep before baby comes, but no, I'm too busy drinking and peeing!

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#6 of 15 Old 10-22-2009, 09:51 PM

I am drinking way more, but I am most thirsty at night. I am averaging about 32 oz during the "sleeping" hours. And it is very annoying knowing that I will just have to get up more to go to the bathroom...but I just can't stop myself. This shocked my mom and she brought up the GD, but I was tested and came out negative.

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#7 of 15 Old 10-22-2009, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

I was tested for GD and it was negative, so I know its not that. I did notice that the colder the water is the less of it I want to drink though.

Mamiecole What happens if you drink to much water? Could you elaborate on the oxytocin thing?

#8 of 15 Old 10-22-2009, 11:27 PM

Another constant thirster, here. I have to have a huge cup of ice water at all times, replaced only by RRL/nettle tea a few times a day. I drink all night, too (and pee). Sometimes my mouth feels so dry my tongue sticks to the bottom on my mouth, which feels miserable, so I sip water constantly.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#9 of 15 Old 10-23-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguintattoo View Post
I was tested for GD and it was negative, so I know its not that. I did notice that the colder the water is the less of it I want to drink though.

Mamiecole What happens if you drink to much water? Could you elaborate on the oxytocin thing?
Well, I'm no expert at all on the subject. But at my home visit my midwife was talking about how once I go into labor and before she gets here, I/my DH/my doula need to remember for me to drink water between contractions to stay hydrated, but not copious amounts. She said if you drink a ton of water (like gallons), it basically can dilute the effects of the oxytocin and be counterproductive during labor and cause other problems.

Here is a link (which I justy googled and have not done research on): Drinking Too Much Water During Labor
#10 of 15 Old 10-23-2009, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieCole View Post
Well, I'm no expert at all on the subject. But at my home visit my midwife was talking about how once I go into labor and before she gets here, I/my DH/my doula need to remember for me to drink water between contractions to stay hydrated, but not copious amounts. She said if you drink a ton of water (like gallons), it basically can dilute the effects of the oxytocin and be counterproductive during labor and cause other problems.

Here is a link (which I justy googled and have not done research on): Drinking Too Much Water During Labor

Wow, thanks for the link its defineitly interesting. I'll have to remember this for when I go into labor!!

#11 of 15 Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 AM

GD can come on after the usual testing window. The only reason I'm mentioning this is that you may want to see about cutting carbs/sugar for the last two weeks just in case...I had undiagnosed GD with ds1 and was thirsty all the time. He couldn't maintain his blood sugar after birth and ended up in the NICU for a few days - not a situation I would wish upon anyone. I think if I had known and been cautious about my diet, ds1 could've avoided the NICU.

Maybe talk to your OB? IDK.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#12 of 15 Old 10-23-2009, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

elisheva Thanks for the info, he tested me at 28 weeks, but I am sure I could have developed it. I'll try cutting back on sugar/carbs(though that may be hard), and see if it helps, if not I'll def ask my Ob about it!

#13 of 15 Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExuberantDaffodil View Post
Another constant thirster, here. I have to have a huge cup of ice water at all times, replaced only by RRL/nettle tea a few times a day. I drink all night, too (and pee). Sometimes my mouth feels so dry my tongue sticks to the bottom on my mouth, which feels miserable, so I sip water constantly.
In the same boat, too!! (I think the nettle is helping my kidneys as I have had less UTI symptoms when I sip it)

I have been drinking water with lemon juice in it off and on during the day (and some stevia to sweeten it), and that has actually helped to satisfy some of that thirst. Don't know why?

Maybe your baby just needs extra fluids right now for the making new amniotic fluid as well as expelling his or her waste (your kidneys must be loving this!!) and your body needs it for blood production?

Oh, and about the too-much-water-during-labor concern, it is mostly about not having the right balance of electrolytes (sodium), so you could make your own Labor Aid (Martha Sears had a recipe for it in The Pregnancy Book), or drink Vitamin Water or something else like it to ensure you're staying balanced while getting hydrated. HTH.

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#14 of 15 Old 10-23-2009, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I am very active and have always drank alot of water. And even more with pregnancy. I am GD negative and steer clear from refined sugar and white flour stuff as much as possible.

To augment my need for water at night, I have a big glass of coconut water, which is stuffed with electrolytes, in the evening. I also drink water that's not so cold - not ice water, because it takes work for your body to warm it up to be able to absorb it and so you might feel more satisfied with less if it's not cold. I'm down to a half liter a night and get up to pee once max.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#15 of 15 Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 PM

I feel like a camel lately. I'm the type of person that always likes having something to drink 'just because' but lately I've been downing glass after glass!

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page