my friend - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so we told our friend that we have a name and that it is Glenn! She hates the name now for me I could care less if no one in the world likes the name! But it made Dh rethink it because all night while they were at work she kept makeing comments like that is such an old name and bla bla! he said that he is still likes the name but she just made him think and that is why he said maybe we should think of a different name!!!!!!!!!! Now I know some of you know how long and how it was eating at me that we had no name and how happy I was to finally have the name that just gave me a warm feeling and feels perfect. But I do not want Dh just to go with the name because of me I want him to be just as happy and feel just as good about it. He did until she started to talk about it. She made comments to me but as I said I am not phased by comments I just said "well when you carry and birth your child then you pick the name you love I have the one I love so please respect it!" and she shut up so should I ask him a few more times if he is sure he is okay with the name or just be happy that he said he is?

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#2 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 PM

I'm so sorry

Glenn is a beautiful name, just ignore the naysayers.

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#3 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 06:56 PM

i like glenn too. go with what you guys REALLY like and ignore what everyone else says. you're always going to have someone turned off by some name and not everyone will agree to liking it. for instance the name me and DH have picked out, we both love it, but other people? not so much. i could go around saying how awkward their names are and how much i disapprove and comment about their name, but it does no good. glenn is a nice name, you should keep it if it's the one you guys really want and ignore everyone else.

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
#4 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 PM
JJS

Talk to him about it and express to him that you really want him to be comfortable with the name. You both have to use it for the rest of your Lo's life. Ask her to back off. She will because she did for you. Give him a few days, and I am sure he will realize how much he loves the name you all chose together.
#5 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 07:20 PM

This is exactly why you never never never never never share names with anyone. I will never be able to have a son named Joel, because the exact same thing happened with dh and a friend of ours years ago.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#6 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 07:31 PM

It bugs me so, so much when people think they have the right to nay say the name you plan to give your child...how rotten and stupid to share that type of thing. Everyone likes different names...that's why everyone has a different one, ykwim? It's just hurtful and really, very very rude to give negative feedback like that.

The appropriate response would be: "Oh, what a great choice, I know how hard it was for you to come up with one, you must be so happy to finally have decided!"

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#7 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 PM

Glenn is a great name...but you know what? It doesn't matter one little bit what I think and it doesn't matter what she thinks either!! Your baby, your choice. Period.

As someone who has gotten A LOT of grief over our baby's given name, I honestly can't imagine anything more rude than someone who thinks they have the right to make such comments...as if it is in anyway their business or their decision.

(sorry for the rant, I'm riled up over something else right now...so my thoughts are a little on the "grrr" side...)
#8 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys I just had to vent about it! because she bugged dh all through work that really ticks me off because we both had that ahh haa that is it I know it is a beautiful boys name and there are so many names I don't like and when friends have told me that is what name they were going to use I smiled nicely and said I love it! I guess not everyone has tact!

Quote:

#9 of 19 Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Glenn is an awesome name. I love it because it is not popular, still a tad traditional and means valley. It is also easy on the eyes and ears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen
#10 of 19 Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 PM

I broke Kadence to my mom, and she hates it. Luckily I had kept it secret long enough to fully embrace the name without doubts, if that makes sense. It sounds like your DH wasn't 100% certain yet, and that stinks.

I don't think you should pick a new name, though it wouldn't hurt to discuss it with DH. I agree with the others...Glenn rocks.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#11 of 19 Old 10-28-2009, 07:24 PM

I wish people would just keep their mouth shut. It's like they think they have a choice in the matter.

Keep the name.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#12 of 19 Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
I wish people would just keep their mouth shut. It's like they think they have a choice in the matter.

Keep the name.
I totally agree. You and DH are the ones having the baby. Everyone else should shut their mouths.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#13 of 19 Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Agreed. It always puzzles me why anyone other than Mom or Dad think they get a vote. If a 3rd party doesn't like the name, they should smile, nod, and secretly cross their fingers that the parents change their minds. And keep their mouths shut.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#14 of 19 Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 PM

This is one situation where I feel it is okay to lie. I will never tell someone I do not like the choice of a name. What does that do for anyone? It's not my child. I'm not being told so that I can ruin the parent's fun. The only thing it does it hurt feelings. keep the name- hopefully your dh won't go along with her thinking. Then tell her you like the name so much you're using it as his first AND middle name
#15 of 19 Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Banned

While I think it's silly of yur husband to rethink a name over one person not liking it, I could understand if the majority of people didn't. It wouldn't be fun going through life with a name a lot of people don't like, and having your first written impression be a negative one. Like it or not, the way someone feels about a name can really have a subconscious effect on how we think of that person upon meeting. It's like seeing the names Rainbow Kisses and Martha Carter when trying to pick a realtor. First impression of Martha might be more favorable.

But over one naysayer? And a common name? Nah, he shouldn't be worrying about it. Glenn is a strong name, not at all unusual, and really a perfectly fine name. What does your friend have against it other than simply not liking it? Can she even give a reason?
#16 of 19 Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 AM

Totally unscientific - but as a teacher, I have had a few students named Glenn/Glen. They were all popular, charming kids with great personalities. It certainly did not seem to impede their social progress with their peers - it is just a cool, unique name. Don't let someone else's negative name connotations change your mind - this woman should just keep her opinions to herself!!
#17 of 19 Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leewoss View Post
Totally unscientific - but as a teacher, I have had a few students named Glenn/Glen. They were all popular, charming kids with great personalities. It certainly did not seem to impede their social progress with their peers - it is just a cool, unique name. Don't let someone else's negative name connotations change your mind - this woman should just keep her opinions to herself!!

That is so funny that the kids named Glenn you know are charming with great personalities the men named Glenn I have known are the same, they are also very successful men. I think that a name can influence who you will be but that is JMO

Quote:

#18 of 19 Old 10-29-2009, 09:00 PM

I like it. Don't waiver, your friend will also like it eventually...

Self employed 37 year old lady.gifMother of one 4 year old super herosuperhero.gifand wife to a lovely DH malesling.GIF who is my hero. Its been a long run but I am pregnant with #21sttri.gif due 10/10/14. goorganic.jpgnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.gifHere we go again....
#19 of 19 Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunShineSally View Post
I think that a name can influence who you will be but that is JMO
Studies have been done that back this up. The spelling of a name matters too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page