Effaced but not dilated? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 15 Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
Leewoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maricopa, Arizona
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just got back from my OB appt. She said she can still only fit 1 fingertip in (so no dilation, same as last week) but that I am between 50-70% effaced! I am confused...I thought effacement led to dilation. She still guestimates me a couple weeks out yet before the baby arrives which really bums me out. Does anyone know what, if any, correlation there is between effacement and dilation? What happens if I end up 100% effaced with no dilation?
Leewoss is offline  
#2 of 15 Old 10-29-2009, 07:26 PM
 
frogautumn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That all sounds totally normal for where you're at. Usually effacement precedes dilation.

I think I was 75% effaced and 1 cm dilated starting at week 36 to, oh...week 41. Don't get too hung up on the numbers...baby will come when it's time.

Sorry...I know that's probably not the news you were looking for.
frogautumn is offline  
#3 of 15 Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 PM
 
Shell_Ell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this your first baby? A lot of first time moms do their pre-labor "work" with effacement before dilation.

Exams mean nothing. You cannot tell a baby is coming by a cervical check. Try not to put too much thought into it! Things are happening.
Shell_Ell is offline  
#4 of 15 Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 PM
 
elisheva's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell View Post

Exams mean nothing. You cannot tell a baby is coming by a cervical check. Try not to put too much thought into it! Things are happening.


I was high and closed at 10 am the day ds2 was born at 7:40 pm. Cervical. checks. mean. nothing. before. labour. Period.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton
 
 
 
   

elisheva is offline  
#5 of 15 Old 10-29-2009, 11:21 PM
 
Inspired007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: somewhere countin' my chickens
Posts: 1,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With dd I was 50% effaced and 0 cm dilated at my 39 week appt. Dd was born at 39+3. My water broke and she slid out within 5 hours. No complications whatsoever.

When you're ready you're body will respond as quickly as necessary to get the job done.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

Inspired007 is offline  
#6 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 AM
 
strawberryfields08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post


I was high and closed at 10 am the day ds2 was born at 7:40 pm. Cervical. checks. mean. nothing. before. labour. Period.
Thank you for telling me this. I am 37 weeks with no 3 and feeling like I could go at any time, crampy, contractions, the whole bit and yet today. High, not effaced, and only a fingertip. I am a bit discouraged. But this give me hope!
strawberryfields08 is offline  
#7 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 10:42 AM
 
Beppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Heartland
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As others have said, please don't get hung up on effacement/dilation! It is a very unreliable indicator. My MW won't even check me at all --- unless I'm already in labor and I ask her to --- because it just doesn't tell you anything much. Women can be walking around 3-4 cm dilated for WEEKS (I have a friend who is like this with all her babies). Or, you could be not dilated at all and then have the baby within the day (more like me!).

Try to focus on other, more positive things like ...

Your baby WILL be here soon, no matter what!

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
Beppie is offline  
#8 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 10:46 AM
 
Mrs_CoffeeLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northshore of Lake Ponchatrain
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfields08 View Post
Thank you for telling me this. I am 37 weeks with no 3 and feeling like I could go at any time, crampy, contractions, the whole bit and yet today. High, not effaced, and only a fingertip. I am a bit discouraged. But this give me hope!
Honestly, I'd reccomend you consider NOT getting any more vag exams. They tend to lead to stress, no matter what is said. Either you feel like your body isn't doing enough, and you wonder what is wrong, or it looks like labor should start at any minute and you wonder why it isn't happening, and you wonder what is wrong.

They really do mean NOTHING. I can't figure out why OB's want to do them so badly. I won't have an exam until I think it is time to push. That is the ONLY time I am concerned about my dilation.

Check this article out....(It is even mainstream!)

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/interv...aginalexam.htm
Mrs_CoffeeLa is offline  
#9 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 11:48 AM
 
mommy2two babes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppie View Post
Women can be walking around 3-4 cm dilated for WEEKS (I have a friend who is like this with all her babies). Or, you could be not dilated at all and then have the baby within the day (more like me!).

Try to focus on other, more positive things like ...

Your baby WILL be here soon, no matter what!
This is me.
With DS I walked around at 3 cm for 2 1/2 weeks before I had him.
I am about 2- cm right now an ddon't expect to go for at least another week or 2 ( I hope)

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

mommy2two babes is offline  
#10 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM
 
KaliShanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lindale,TX
Posts: 2,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post


I was high and closed at 10 am the day ds2 was born at 7:40 pm. Cervical. checks. mean. nothing. before. labour. Period.


And there is no order to what your cervix does. I am 2cm, not effaced at all now. *shrug*

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

KaliShanti is offline  
#11 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM
 
Youngfrankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell View Post
Is this your first baby? A lot of first time moms do their pre-labor "work" with effacement before dilation.

Exams mean nothing. You cannot tell a baby is coming by a cervical check. Try not to put too much thought into it! Things are happening.
All of the above. I am actually stunned that she'd tell you that you were "weeks out". There is no possible way of knowing! You could be closed, tight, and nothing going on and have a baby tomorrow. No one knows!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Youngfrankenstein is offline  
#12 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
Leewoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maricopa, Arizona
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much ladies! All your advice makes me feel worlds better
Leewoss is offline  
#13 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 08:59 PM
 
mamatolevi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_CoffeeLa View Post
Honestly, I'd reccomend you consider NOT getting any more vag exams. They tend to lead to stress, no matter what is said. Either you feel like your body isn't doing enough, and you wonder what is wrong, or it looks like labor should start at any minute and you wonder why it isn't happening, and you wonder what is wrong.

They really do mean NOTHING. I can't figure out why OB's want to do them so badly. I won't have an exam until I think it is time to push. That is the ONLY time I am concerned about my dilation.

Check this article out....(It is even mainstream!)

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/interv...aginalexam.htm
ITA. they mean nothing (though i admit to being curiouser and curiouser as I aproach my EDD).

CPs do them to 1. have something to do and 2. to find an excuse to start laying on the scare tactics for indcutions.

ETA: or 3. to strip membranes w/o consent.

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
mamatolevi is offline  
#14 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 12:05 AM
 
shakenbake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: texas
Posts: 1,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im walking around at a 4 have been a 3 for um 3 weeks now LOL it sadly doesnt mean much but my feeling is the more i do it now before labor the LESS i have to go during real labor!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
shakenbake is offline  
#15 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Lousli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, totally DDC crashing here. I just wanted to say that with my first, my water broke at home around 9:30 at night. I went to the hospital pretty quickly because I was only 36 weeks pregnant. I got to the hospital at around 11:00 or so and had my first check at probably 11:30, and was about 90% effaced but only a fingertip dilated and wasn't feeling any contractions. I didn't really start feeling any type of active labor for about another 2 hours or so. My daughter was born at 8:30 the next morning. So I went from a fingertip to holding a baby in 9 hours.
Lousli is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off