Prodromal vs. Braxton-Hicks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the difference between prodromal labor and near-constant Braxton-Hicks contractions?? I'm having BHs almost constantly anymore, and they make it hard to carry on whatever I'm doing at the time - if I'm sitting I can't move/change positions, if I'm standing I dang sure can't sit/bend over. If I'm walking I have to stop until it passes. It's been pretty much all day every day for the last month, they definitely grab my attention, but I haven't timed them or fretted about them or really given them any thought at all, just because I have it in my head that my body doesn't do natural labor (only went into labor on my own once in my past 4 pregnancies). Haven't even bothered to check my own cervix, although I know how. I just can't get my head in a place where it's like I'm even capable of labor.

...ooO*Ooo*ooO*Ooo...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 07:38 PM

I don't know what the difference is, if there is any. I know I've had almost near constant b-h for a few weeks now, so I've been joking that I've had a month long labor. Sometimes they are even "uncomfortable", and most of the time they stop me in my tracks and I have to wait for them to pass. Every evening, I get a nice pattern of them going. And then I go to sleep.

I'm no help, huh?

I do kind of hope you get some spontaneous labor in, though. Just so you can say you did.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 PM

I was just thinking of this myself. I have NO CLUE. Never had my water break, never lost my mucous plug... I didn't even know what prodromal labor was till now.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 PM

i'm glad someone else brought this up. I'm 39wks pg and have been having really regular BH now for weeks, but especially this last week. If I move suddenly, when I'm walking, if I bend down, whatever I do seems to bring on a BH contraction...

Am very interested to see peoples' answers.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyheaded_Mama View Post
What is the difference between prodromal labor and near-constant Braxton-Hicks contractions?? I'm having BHs almost constantly anymore, and they make it hard to carry on whatever I'm doing at the time - if I'm sitting I can't move/change positions, if I'm standing I dang sure can't sit/bend over. If I'm walking I have to stop until it passes. It's been pretty much all day every day for the last month, they definitely grab my attention, but I haven't timed them or fretted about them or really given them any thought at all, just because I have it in my head that my body doesn't do natural labor (only went into labor on my own once in my past 4 pregnancies). Haven't even bothered to check my own cervix, although I know how. I just can't get my head in a place where it's like I'm even capable of labor.
I would like to place a bet that you will go into natural labor this time .. on your own ... and it will happen fast because of all your practice contractions!

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

Old 11-01-2009, 10:08 PM

So what is "prodromal labor"? I've heard the term but don't know what it is.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:14 AM

Here is a link.. it seems like B-H and prodromal labor may be the same? I dunno.
http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/...mal-labor.html

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 11-02-2009, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieCo View Post
I would like to place a bet that you will go into natural labor this time .. on your own ... and it will happen fast because of all your practice contractions!
Oh I would be elated, lol, absolutely over the moon!

It's good to see that I'm not the only one less than exactly clear on the distinction between prodromal labour and BH, if any.

...ooO*Ooo*ooO*Ooo...
Old 11-02-2009, 12:53 AM

no clue but they both suck LoL

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 01:25 AM

For me, prodromal labor was almost like early labor--I had a hard time telling the difference for my labor with baby #3.

The ONLY difference I could tell was that the contrx would peter out, after coming every 15-20 minutes and lasting about 45 seconds and be all night long, and then STOP in the morning (no sleep, tired mama with two boys to take care of, yuck)--and I had to work on relaxing, they were not easy in any sense--I think when active labor came around, those were "easier" to deal with than the prodromal-early labor contractions were. They were radiating back to front and coming regularly (Yeah, can u tell why I was so confused and frustrated??)

It changed my idea of how I can go into labor, and I have decided to not count or time them like I did when they were 20 minutes apart for this baby's labor and birth. Too frustrating! When the contrx are 5 or 7 minutes apart and last a minute, then I'll call my mw (and she better get over here quick!)

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

Old 11-02-2009, 03:09 AM

I'm a newbie and everyone at work keeps "correcting" me to tell me I'm wrong so I could be way off here, but I'm pretty sure I've had both BH and "regular" contractions. The BH are when my uterus tightens, like it's practicing. They don't hurt, although they can be milldly uncomfortable.

The prodomal labor contractions hurt, and I feel them mostly in my cervix. The other day at work I had one while I was sitting on the toilet, and I couldn't get up off the toilet until it ended. I think that was the one where I just kept going "Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow." Then I started laughing at how terribly I had dealt with it. I'm pretty sure that's not how my hypnosis is supposed to work.

At any rate, every time I tell the women at work that I've had a few contractions, they ALL say "Oh, Braxton Hicks?" And I say "No, I've had those too, but I mean like actual contraction contractions." And they say "No, those are BH." And I try to explain the difference, and they just give me the "You are so clueless, new mother-to-be" smile. Last week my secretary even said "Oh, so you're the expert now, I see." So again, I could be wrong, and apparently all the women I work with think I am , but to me they're completely different sensations.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
Old 11-02-2009, 03:16 AM

ah screw them Everyone is diffrent!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 AM

Jeez vegasgrl, that would drive me crazy. I can personally vouch for the fact the bh contractions do not feel quite like other contractions, at least like the birthing contractions I had when I had my son. And if anyone tried to tell me either during my first pregnancy or this one that I didn't know what I'm talking about, I'd be highly irked.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
Old 11-02-2009, 01:20 PM

My prodromal labor was exactly like greenthumb described hers. But I also think it is really really hard to tell the difference between constant BH and prodromal labor. I'm not an expert but I think both suck.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
Old 11-02-2009, 02:49 PM

At least you guys are having them. I get a few BH here and there, but I am figuring at this piddly, do-nothing rate, this baby isn't coming until December...

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb3 View Post
The ONLY difference I could tell was that the contrx would peter out, after coming every 15-20 minutes and lasting about 45 seconds and be all night long, and then STOP in the morning (no sleep, tired mama with two boys to take care of, yuck)--and I had to work on relaxing, they were not easy in any sense
Oh, this must be what I am having at night! Every 10-15 minutes. Geez!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 PM

You know, I kind of take the coworker ribbing as a reminder of how lucky I am that I found MDC, that I learned about the medical-legal climate surrounding birthing, and that I had a reason to inform myself as much as I could. It seems to me that most women get their information from there 7-minute OB visits and perhaps What To Expect books. I'm actually really grateful that I've overlearned, if that makes any sense.

But I'm not silly enough to think I can learn all this stuff from books and articles. That's why I say I don't really know if my difference is "right" or not since I've never been in labor. Give me a few days!

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose-Roget View Post
Oh, this must be what I am having at night! Every 10-15 minutes. Geez!
Oh! My! Those are SO not fun. I hope you get a little rest today--I'll bet they were doing something...helping thin the cervix or something good! (trying to see this in some positive light, I recall how much those bugged me!)

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

User Tag List