Feeling Period Like "Pre" Cramps?-HELP from experienced mammas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is so weird....I am not due until 11/27, but I started getting the sensation tonight of the "weird sensation" I felt just before my (very severe) period cramps began.

These are not cramps, and not BH cx-- but just an uncomfortable sensation in my pelvis/back. Again, very familiar--- the exact sensation I used to have about 12 hours before my period started (and the really bad cramps showed up).

I am a first time mom-- so, should I be worried that I am going to "go" really early? Eek!!!!!

I could care less if this sensation goes on for weeks- as it's really no big deal-- and I would be quite happy if this is my body "getting ready" --perhaps softening and effacing my cervix..... Has anyone had this?

I have a midwife appt. on Tues- so I am sure she will put my mind at ease (or not....lolol)- but I thought I would throw it out to all the experienced mammas on the board!!!
#2 of 12 Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 PM

I have had a little of what feel like menstrual cramps, but nothing consistent. I have had contraction type pains, which made me remember what that all felt like. I'm also not due until the end of November and I haven't had these frequent enough to get me thinking....labor. I'm thinking it's just labor preparation at this point, maybe a little effacement or dialation. Ds didn't come until 40 weeks and 5 days. So I wouldn't mind if this one came a little earlier than that, but I'm not holding my breath......much.
#3 of 12 Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 PM

I'm probably not the most knowledgeable one to answer first, but when I told my mw a few weeks ago about dull period-like crampiness, she chalked it up to the uterus preparing itself - effacing/dilating - and said that it's normal in the weeks before labor. I think it's when they get more intense and entire uterus contracts at regular intervals that it's a sign of labor.
#4 of 12 Old 11-01-2009, 10:36 PM

I've also been having period-type cramping now and again. Then again, we had the flu last week and my one and only symptom (involving intestinal cramping) stuck around for several days...so it could be that and not uterine/period-type cramps...I find they feel similar.

I did have about an hour of very light real contrax last week...hoping things pick up again soon.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#5 of 12 Old 11-01-2009, 10:53 PM

I'm not due until 11/28 and have been having the crampy contractions in my abdomen for the last week. My OB checked my cervix Friday and said I was 1-2cm dilated and about 20% effaced so it's doing something, but I don't think I'm going to go into full blown labor within the next couple weeks (I hope!!). It's just doing the ground work, so to speak.
#6 of 12 Old 11-01-2009, 11:05 PM

I had alot of painful (but not severe) cramping last week and the week before. The doctor checked me because I swore up and down I was in labor. I thought she would tell me I was 5cm. dialated. No- not only was I only a fingertip dialated and still thick (my cervix, I guess), but the baby hadn't dropped yet! I felt like his head was about to pop out.

I am no help, I realize. I keep hoping and thinking I am in early labor but my dang contractions are 7 min apart for a few hours, then they stop. Then they start up again with 11 min in between. I just want to know! They need to come up with a better system on how to know if you are in labor, pre-labor, if the symptoms are because the baby has dropped, if you are having B-H, etc. It is maddening, isn't it!

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#7 of 12 Old 11-01-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Ladies-- I can't thank you all enough (and thanks to anyone who posts in the future!)....even though (some of) you think your comments are not helpful-- they are all helpful to me!

I am hoping that this is the start of my body getting ready....again, I can deal with this sensation for weeks....but I am hoping, hoping that he doesn't show up too soon-- at least for another week or so! (I want to get to 37 weeks, of course!)

Keep the reports coming as time goes on-- and I will do the same!!!! I will also update everyone after my midwife appt. on Tuesday!
#8 of 12 Old 11-02-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
but the baby hadn't dropped yet! I felt like his head was about to pop out.
Yeah - what's with THAT??? TMI ahead - When I'm sitting on the toilet I totally feel like, if I just pushed hard enough, out she'd pop! Plus I'm a little swollen down there and every time I poo it feels like babe is going to come out my bum. However, I can't even reach my cervix! I swear this babe is lying sideways from front to back - her head jammed in my intestines/backbone and her bum straight out my belly button.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#9 of 12 Old 11-02-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
I had alot of painful (but not severe) cramping last week and the week before. The doctor checked me because I swore up and down I was in labor. I thought she would tell me I was 5cm. dialated. No- not only was I only a fingertip dialated and still thick (my cervix, I guess), but the baby hadn't dropped yet! I felt like his head was about to pop out.

I am no help, I realize. I keep hoping and thinking I am in early labor but my dang contractions are 7 min apart for a few hours, then they stop. Then they start up again with 11 min in between. I just want to know! They need to come up with a better system on how to know if you are in labor, pre-labor, if the symptoms are because the baby has dropped, if you are having B-H, etc. It is maddening, isn't it!
ITA!!!! I wish someone would come up with a better way than the terms BH/Prodromol labor/Early Labor, blah blah blah. Sometimes it really DOES just all look the same till that active labor takes over. Can't we just call it "Labor lite" or something?

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#10 of 12 Old 11-02-2009, 07:26 AM

Lots of cramping for about a month or so now- I am 38 weeks now. Not the most fun, but part of the whole package. Then the real low back/pelvis aches as well and all other kind of fun stuff. Yes, it does feel like your period is coming

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#11 of 12 Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 AM

DOn't be worried! Sounds very normal. No reason to think he is coming early.
#12 of 12 Old 11-02-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post
Yeah - what's with THAT??? TMI ahead - When I'm sitting on the toilet I totally feel like, if I just pushed hard enough, out she'd pop! Plus I'm a little swollen down there and every time I poo it feels like babe is going to come out my bum. However, I can't even reach my cervix! I swear this babe is lying sideways from front to back - her head jammed in my intestines/backbone and her bum straight out my belly button.
This is EXACTLY how I feel too! And baby hasn't even dropped as far as I know. Weird!

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page