Regression? Or just my goofy kid? Or...? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-02-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine made a cloth cake out of flat diapers and onesies for my baby shower Saturday, and on the top she put a pink bottle. When I brought it home, my son picked up the bottle and has since adopted it as his own. My hubby and I decided not to make a big deal about it whatsoever, and I wasn't going to use the bottle for the baby anyway... but over the course of the last couple of days, my son has become obsessed with this thing. He filled it with water and drank out of it almost all day yesterday. I ruffled his hair a couple times and asked what he was doing with the bottle, and he just giggled and giggled and looked extremely pleased with himself and said it was his bottle. He asked for it last night before bed, and I casually mentioned it was downstairs and distracted him with something else.

I still refuse to make a big deal about it. I can make the thing disappear today while he is at school, and he probably wouldn't even notice. But I wonder if this is a form of regression? Or perhaps he is just being cute and silly (very common for him), or maybe a bottle really is a novelty item for him, so playing with it is kind of like having a new toy? Or is he trying to relate to a baby? Or is it just fun to suck water out of a bottle?

What do you all think?

He's 5 by the way.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#2 of 4 Old 11-02-2009, 03:27 PM

I would venture that, in addition to his goofiness, it's a little bit of regression or his needing to be a "baby" again. Not making a big deal out of it is probably the best way to approach it. Maybe make an even stronger effort to show him that you still love him very much and point out all the great things he can do as a big kid would help him through it.

My ds, also 5, just pulled out his old pacifier. He didn't stick it in his mouth, but he did "snuggle" with it yesterday and told me how much he loved it. I just kind of let it go with, "That's nice. We all have things that are special to us."
#3 of 4 Old 11-02-2009, 04:19 PM

i used to use bottles all the time when i was a kid 5-9 i just loved drinking out of them for no reason hehe maybe im just goofy lol

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#4 of 4 Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Ds (4) got a hold of some toddler diapers and wanted to wear them around the house for a few days. I ended up stashing them away and he soon forgot about it. I think he's just excited about the baby and has been interested in all things baby.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page