Stop Calling Us! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a vent...fyi.

Ok, I know they all mean well and are acting out of love yadda yadda...but I swear if ONE more relative calls and asks if we've had the baby yet I am gonna scream. I'm finally at the point where I just say, sarcastically, "Yes, we actually had the baby a couple of weeks ago and just decided not to tell anyone." For pete's sake people...WE'LL CALL YOU! WE PROMISE! We said we'd call. We'll call!

It is now at the point where we just don't answer...which only prompts them to call DH's phone also then leave snippy little voicemails like "Why aren't you answering? You should have your phone at your side at all times. You better not have had the baby and not called us. I've had 5 people call to ask me if you've had the baby yet. I just don't understand why neither of you are answering."

Ummm...maybe, just maybe I might be in the toilet. Or taking a shower. Or cooking dinner. Or outside for a walk. Or playing with my DS in his room. Or any of the other countless reasons a person might not be able to answer the phone the exact moment you friggin call.

I think I am going to just turn our phones off completely and change the voicemail to something like: "Hi there. We haven't had the baby yet. Amy isn't in labor yet. Nothing is happening. We promise we will call just as soon as there is some news to report. Until then, we are probably relaxing at home, preparing for the upcoming birth, taking care of last minute details and spending time together as a family. If this is an emergency, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. NOW STOP CALLING US!"

Ok, maybe I should leave off the last part...heh.
#2 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Make your voicemail message..."Hi! Thanks so much for checking in. We have no news to report yet, but trust us, once the baby arrives, you will now. Sorry for not answering--I'm sure you can understand we're taking this time to rest and relax before the big day comes."

Oops...looks like I got distracted before I got to the end of your post. We're thinking on the same wavelength!
#3 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 03:34 PM

not in yor DDC - but saw this in new posts

I think your VM message is PERFECT!! (well, maybe not the NOW STOP CALLING US) part - but the rest - i would totally put that up (which i had thought of that when i hadmy babies!)

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#4 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM

I COMPLETELY sympathise!!!!

Sorry to tell you that it's not over though!!!

Our problem is that now that the baby is here (Thank God she was early so we didn't go through what you're going, cuz I KNOW it would've!!) all my DH's relative from overseas are calling...we've had uncles and aunts and cousins calling from Iran, Dubai, Paris, Copenhague and Stockholm...so we feel bad not answering knowing they are in a completely different time zone and are even calling in the middle of the night for them, just to talk to us! I've never heard my husband speak so much Persian as the last 2 days!!! Good thing he hasn't lost it!

I think by now though, they've all called.

So that's a good thing to know; eventually, you'll "run out" of relatives who haven't called yet!!! Hang in there!
#5 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM

this is why nearly all my Facebooks posts begin "still pregnant" and move on to an actual update from there; I've told everyone that as soon as something is happening, or has happened, it will be on there, as we have access to FB through our phones. nearly everyone has access in our family/friends and those who don't will be updated by someone who does. it seems to have worked so far . . . Ask me again Sunday, if I am still pregnant, if anyone has called. (I'll be 40+1 then)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#6 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post
this is why nearly all my Facebooks posts begin "still pregnant" and move on to an actual update from there; I've told everyone that as soon as something is happening, or has happened, it will be on there, as we have access to FB through our phones. nearly everyone has access in our family/friends and those who don't will be updated by someone who does. it seems to have worked so far . . . Ask me again Sunday, if I am still pregnant, if anyone has called. (I'll be 40+1 then)
I'm thinking of doing that for my Facebook status, and adding that the next person to call or text me asking "are you STILL pregnant?!" will be unfriended. I mean, I'm only at 38+5 for Pete's sake.

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#7 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM

My MIL has called I think three times now. I seriously think she's convinced we're not going to call her when he's born.
#8 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 06:05 PM

That would drive me NUTS!!!!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#9 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 08:01 PM

My c-section is tomorrow ... I've sworn my husband to secrecy. I said, if you tell your mom, she will be calling while I'm still on the operating table. NO joke. She calls everyday as it is, sometimes several times a day. It really bothers me. We haven't told anyone besides my mom, and my husbands work (waited till the last minute), and some strangers at the doctors office who ask. Then after the babies are born, I'm not letting my husband call anyone till I've been able to hold and breastfeed both of them..... because my husbands family will be ringing off the hook.

Loving my twin boys! fencing.gif 11/03/2009 And my daughter 08/16/11 hearts.gif novaxnocirc.gif vbac.gifmomma  chicken3.gif Homesteader supermod.gif Doula

#10 of 11 Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Banned

What would happen if you put up a blog and updated it daily with "Pregnant still" every day until "In labor"? So that way your family can look there for an update. A daily update or two may appease them.
#11 of 11 Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 AM

You'd think . . .I keep it in my Facebook and we still got at least 3 calls yesterday (it was a full moon, and I think everyone else was hoping, as was I) It is the first day they've done that, and I hope it doesn't continue. Luckily, DH answers the phone and I don't have to deal with anyone other than my own mother.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page