0 station - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my mw appt yesterday. She estimated Baby is still in -3 station. I'm due Saturday. How long can it take for a babe to fully drop and engage - I was kind of expecting her to be there (or closer, at least) by now.

My mw also said that if my water should break before my contractions are going strong, that I should go into L&D because there is increased risk of cord compression if babe is still that high. Yikes!
#2 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 AM

I read that with subsequent pregnancies, there is a higher chance that the baby won't engage in the pelvis until right before, or even during labor. I can't remember if this is your first or not...

I barely feel like my baby has dropped, and I have been encouraging the process with lots of squatting, hip swaying, and tailor sitting. I wouldn't get too nervous about water breaking and high baby position -- isn't there a statistic that only 10% of women have their water break prior to the onset of labor?

It's hard not to have all these potential worries to think about...

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#3 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree w/ Daffodil, it's hard not to focus on the 'what ifs'.

Try to enjoy the final days and just remember that birth is inherently safe, otherwise we wouldn't have survived as a species!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#4 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 12:32 PM

I've told this story before...

With ds2, he was not engaged AT ALL - so not engaged that the midwife couldn't event reach my cervix during a VE - at 10am on the day he was born. I went into labor around 3 and he was born at 7:40 that night. My babes don't bother to drop until they are on their way out. I can't be the only person like this out there because physically I'm otherwise very normal, ya know

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#5 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Subsequent babies often don't drop until labor. And even -3 isn't terribly high, baby is dipping down a little. Not quite floating.

I wouldn't be too worried about cord prolapse. It's definitely something to take into consideration if your water breaks prior to labor, but for most people it doesn't.
#6 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your support, all! Good to know that just because she isn't totally engaged I'm not necessarily going to be walking around with her for another 3 weeks! The mw was just being cautious and letting me know what to do in case the water should break first. She also said that it's pretty rare that the water breaks first. I won't lose too much sleep over that possibility. I think I may head out to do some squats in a bit, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page