Natural Induction Methods? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, I know. There is no "fail proof" method of natural induction and it's hard to say if they did or didn't work.

BUT, I'm trying my very hardest to avoid a medical-induction with what seems to be an induction-happy doctor. My next appointment is Monday morning and if I haven't progressed, he wants to schedule an induction for sometimes next week. *sigh* I'm not going to allow it, but I'd really like to avoid the battle of wills if I can, kwim?

I feel like my body is definitely gearing up for labor. Lots of contractions at night, and I just *feel* it and have for the past four or five days. I'm only 1.5cm dilated, but I know my body is up to something.

Did you try any natural induction methods? Do you feel like they worked? Have you heard of anyone doing anything and finding success with it?

Any info/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Well, here is what I have heard and tried, personally.

Both my mother and my sister swear by castor oil. They say it worked for them. I tried it when I was to be medically induced with my son, and all it gave me was an irritable uterus and the sh!ts.

Sex is supposed to help encourage things along. I've tried this and nothing. I thought it was the semen softening the cervix, but my sister says it is the orgasm. Well, I got the first part taken care of (thanks hubby), but not the second part (no thanks, hubby). So who knows.

I've been taking EPO (both orally and vaginally, which is nasty gross by the way), and still haven't seen anything from that.

I tried nipple stimulation in the tub, two nights in a row. Evidently this method is supposed to be quite powerful if done correctly. Either that's wrong, or I majorly messed up stimulating my own nipples.

Spicy food is supposed to be a method. But I hate spicy food. So I'm not going to try that one.

Lots of walking. Check. I tried that. After 3 miles of walking, I had cankles, sore feet, and no labor. Still trying to walk, though. It'll burn calories and supposedly help engage the baby, so it can't hurt.

I know there are some herbs and stuff out there that are supposed to encourage labor to come on, but things like that make me nervous, and I've been personally trying to stick with the more natural stuff. Of course, if it came down to an herbal tea versus pitocin and AROM at the hospital... (both of which I have experienced before), then I would probably go with an herbal route, under the careful watch of my midwife.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#3 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 04:37 PM

Do you have a breastpump? My midwives have suggested using that for nipple stimulation. You could always rent one short term too. They also use cohosh if needed- here is a link with basic info. I don't know anything about it myself. http://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/tool/cohosh.html

Otherwise, I hear castor oil all the time too, as well as the other suggestions ExuberantDaffodil had.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#4 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 PM

Friday night I ate some spicy food and then DTD with my husband... within an hour I was having contractions.

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

#5 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 04:55 PM

Wow, he would induce on your due date? I have an appt today and hopefully no issues with it. I was "due" November 2nd. So far, they've been great with low interventions and I'm hoping that will continue.

Castor oil made me sick and did not start labor. Walking a lot worked great with DD but no luck so far this time!

Oh yeah, pineapple is supposed to be good. I think I'll stop and get some on the way home from my appt!

Good luck,

Deb

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#6 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 06:53 PM

DTD is helpful for the nipple stimulation which encourages oxytocin production, the prostaglandin in semen ripens the cervix, the orgasm causes uterine contractions, etc.--so a variety of ways. But if you can't get all of that from your dh (mine is not so much into preggo sex ) you have two hands, KWIM? And/or the shower jet or breastpump for further nipple stimulation.

Walking I think depends on baby's position--with my first one it sure caused contractions...with this one, nothing is budging him!

Castor oil I have IBS so won't do so can't say

Will your provider sweep the membranes initially rather than inducing right away? Not ideal but better than full-fledged induction and often works quite well...

-lava
#7 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM

I was due 7/10/08 and when the medical induction was scheduled for 7/22/08 I immediately went for acupuncture. After the third day of acupuncture I started more serious contractions and gave birth the next day, 7/19/08. I would also recommend massage (whole body & feet) and a chiropractic adjustment. Good Luck!

~ Dune Lover
#8 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 PM

what everyone else said...

Also taking red raspberry leaf--especially if you're having some ctx but they're just not effective. RRL can help your uterus work more effectively.

My mw said that doing deep squats can help get baby's head to engage...I've been doing them for a week and haven't seen any change yet, but ymmv

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#9 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 PM

I'm going to get a prenatal massage today and I've been reading up on what you have to do different. Apparently you're supposed to completely stay away from the area between your ankle and your heel, and also the webbing of skin between your index finger and your thumb. Both are reflexology points associated with the uterus, and prolonged pressure could potentially start labor.

So then, it stands to reason that messing around with those four spots could move you along, no? Not that you'd know the "right" way to do it, but it's worth a shot I guess.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#10 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 08:17 PM

I tried that, too, actually. I massaged my Achilles tendon on both ankles for about 15 minutes, then I massaged the tissue between my thumb and forefinger. After that, I pressed about four finger-lengths up from the inside ankle bone for about 5 minutes. I did get a few bh's but that's it.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#11 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Um, what if you just avoid your doctor till you go into labor?

If his office calls, you could let it ring...don't call them unless there's an emergency...I mean, he can't drive to your house, rip you out of bed and induce you, right?
If you have a prenatal between now and your EDD, you could schedule an induction with his office, but then call back from home later and cancel and reschedule again, at a later date, make up a good reason!

Then, when you are in labor, give his office a ring, explain that you are SO sorry, there was a family emergency and you just weren't able to get back to them before now...oh, and you think you might be in labor (doctors do this all the time, why can't we BS a bit, too??) What's the worst that can happen? they get annoyed with you? Oh, well, another laboring mother, another dollar to be made. This is your baby's birth for crying out loud!

I dunno. Maybe it's that rebel in me. WHY do women have to go into labor for a doctor's schedule?

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#12 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 09:59 PM

Reflexology - have your DH rub the lower half of your calves in the back. The nurse at my prep class swears by it - says she uses it on patients all the time to get their water to rupture
#13 of 14 Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 PM

It sounds like you covered alot of the natural techniques I know. If you are "overdue" definitely work with an herbalist midwife for induction. I am not a mw but I am an herbalist and I just took a class from an exceptional mw who used fresh cottonroot tincture very effectively. However I would only use it under supervision, as dosage and timing is important. She also said whatever you do do not get into a bath while doing these techniques.. That really does slow labor down.. Good luck!

Self employed 38 year old Mother of one 5 year old super heroand wife to a lovely DH who is my hero..
#14 of 14 Old 11-06-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb3 View Post
Um, what if you just avoid your doctor till you go into labor?

If his office calls, you could let it ring...don't call them unless there's an emergency...I mean, he can't drive to your house, rip you out of bed and induce you, right?
If you have a prenatal between now and your EDD, you could schedule an induction with his office, but then call back from home later and cancel and reschedule again, at a later date, make up a good reason!

Then, when you are in labor, give his office a ring, explain that you are SO sorry, there was a family emergency and you just weren't able to get back to them before now...oh, and you think you might be in labor (doctors do this all the time, why can't we BS a bit, too??) What's the worst that can happen? they get annoyed with you? Oh, well, another laboring mother, another dollar to be made. This is your baby's birth for crying out loud!
Shhhh...don't tell anyone, but this is totally my plan! Of course I'm scheduled for a cesarean in two weeks, so I'm trying anything I can to go into labor on my own because I really get the feeling if I go into labor before my scheduled section, my OB might just roll with it. Especially if I stay home as long as possible, to the point that delivery is imminent. Pretty sure she's not going to say "Wait, stop, cross your legs, let me get my scalpel" lol.

...ooO*Ooo*ooO*Ooo...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page