Bad OB appt. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far, everything has been just about textbook for my pregnancy but yesterday, it felt like the walls started crumbling down They took my blood pressure at the OB office and found it was high and also that my ankles were very swollen. Doc checked the urine and said there was no protein but she wants to keep a closer eye on me.
She also checked my cervix and found it had made no progress since last week (still just 1 fingertip). Though I know it can change on a moment's notice, we are also both concerned because baby's movements have all of a sudden become very sluggish (I was hoping it was a growth spurt, though she is already measuring large).
Anyway, doc said she was going to help Mother Nature along and stripped my membranes. I had no idea what she was doing until after she was done and showed me the "bloody show" on her hands. I have never felt pain like that before, and though I know she did what she thought was best, it left me angry and upset.
Worse yet, nothing happened! I had less contractions last night than I ever did before and to be perfectly honest, now that pushing for her delivery seems imminent, I am more frightened and feeling unprepared than ever before. I must have gone on 3 crying jags last night - poor DH! Anyway, thanks for letting me get my thoughts down - it feels so much better to talk with you ladies about my fears
#2 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leewoss View Post
Anyway, doc said she was going to help Mother Nature along and stripped my membranes. I had no idea what she was doing until after she was done and showed me the "bloody show" on her hands. I have never felt pain like that before, and though I know she did what she thought was best, it left me angry and upset.
Gee, it's no wonder you feel the way you do. Why do doctors feel that they can do these things without informing their patients in advance? I just don't get it. I hope you are able to find some peace in your mind before baby comes. Feeling mentally unprepared is not a good thing... I feel I'm struggling with this myself now. I hope it works out for you. But just wanted to offer hugs...because you have every right to be angry and upset! argh.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#3 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 11:59 AM

I can identify with your feelings after having membranes stripped. The doctor did that with my first pregnancy and I was horribly uncomfortable for over 12 hours and it did not put me into labor. I have declined it since that experience.

How close are you to your due date? It is good that you are being monitored closely because pre-e can be serious. However, one high bp reading and some swelling do not necessarily mean that you would need to get baby out asap. Take a deep breath and try to relax. Drink fluids, rest, and try to mentally prepare yourself for a baby sooner than later. GL!

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
#4 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 12:14 PM

I wish OBs would be more gentle.

At my lat appointment, my blood pressure was a bit high, too. And puffy doesn't even begin to describe both my ankles and my wrists. My MW gave me a hug and told me to rest and drink fluids and run up to the drug store once a day and check my blood pressure to make sure it doesn't creep up over 135/95, and if it does to give her a call. So far, my bp has been settling near 128/80, which is high for me, but definitely in the normal range. I am sure if she had scared me with stuff, it would have shot up, though!

Lots of hugs!

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#5 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 01:05 PM

I am so sorry to read that your ob violated you like that. Rude and inconsiderate doesn't even touch on that. I agree w/ the pp- one high bp reading would not cause me concern. Please try to rest, take care of yourself mentally, and nourish your body well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 PM

That was not very kind of your OB to do that without informing you first. I agree with what others have said. One high bp reading and swelling doesn't necessarily mean PE. Just take it easy and drink plenty of fluids.
#7 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 PM

((hugs)) that didnt sound very nice of your ob at all i hope you can get some rest

2004 2009
#8 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 PM

I remember how uncomfortable getting my membranes stripped with DS, that's why I will avoid it at all cost this time. I'm sorry she did that without telling you first, that would make me upset too.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#9 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 03:25 PM

I'm sorry you had a rough appointment! I think HCPs who push procedures onto unconsenting patients should be tarred and feathered, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Now, I'm not a professional, but it's my understanding that Pre-E is only diagnosed by way of 24-hour urine collection and blood work. High BP and swelling, while not fabulous, are not necessarily Pre-E.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#10 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 04:22 PM

How ignorant of your OB to do that to you with out your consent I would be on a rampage if my OB did that

I hope you find peace before your birthing day

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#11 of 11 Old 11-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page