A GOOD Appointment - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-06-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was reading through several posts about bad OB visits, I thought I'd post about my great last visit with my MW.
  • I wasn't asked to undress--all measurements and palpating is done just with my shirt up and my pants down over my belly.
  • When I mentioned I'd been feeling a few contractions and some dilation pains, my MW didn't even offer a cervical check (though she would have been more than happy to do one if I wanted the information).
  • I'm measuring about 3 weeks ahead, but she didn't even suggest that it was a concern, much less make any noises about too much fluid or a potentially "big baby" in there.
  • She didn't even bother to take my BP until the end of the appointment. I've had some problems with stress-induced high readings (which she completely agrees that they are stress induced, because when I have a chance to relax, my numbers go down 20-30 points), so she waited until I was relaxed and my BP was fine.
  • DH was feeling sad that we weren't using the doppler anymore (we'd used it for a bit when she'd had trouble getting the FHR with the fetoscope) so he couldn't hear the heartbeat. My MW showed him how to use the fetoscope and pointed out where to place it in order to listen to the baby. Now, in the end, he still didn't end up hearing anything, but he gave up because he was feeling awkward, not because the MW was pressuring us at all.
  • Finally, I needed a new bottle of supplements this week, but we'd forgotten about it by the end of the appointment. On the way home, DH's cell phone rang. The MW was calling to see where we were. She was on her way home as well and she met up with us on the road to make sure I had the new bottle.

I wish we could all have visits this good!

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#2 of 6 Old 11-06-2009, 06:30 PM

Awesome visit!!

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#3 of 6 Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 PM

My MW visits are mostly similarly good. I wish everyone had access to good care.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#4 of 6 Old 11-06-2009, 07:04 PM

That is awesome, and I do wish all women had great care as well. My mw visit are similiar as well, my last visit I think was 2-3 hrs. Mostly just talking, she is respectful of me and my pants haven't been off a single visit, I did my own gbs. There will be no routine VE's during my birth either. It is sad that the norm isn't women centered evidence based care.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 6 Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 PM

for responsible, respectful midwifery care!

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 6 Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliacat View Post
I wish everyone had access to good care.
I am so happy that midwifery is funded in my province.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
my pants haven't been off a single visit, I did my own gbs. There will be no routine VE's during my birth either. It is sad that the norm isn't women centered evidence based care.
as well.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page