Starbucks barista called me on drinking coffee?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I go into Starbucks, I order a pumpkin spice soy latte and the woman behind the counter asks me "So, your doctor said it is okay to have one a day?". I say, "pardon me?" and she repeats the question and I answer, "uh, yeah, it's fine," and she says again "so, one a day, your doctor says it's okay then?" and finally I just said "yeah, may I have my coffee please?"

What the frack was that? I've never had something like that happen this entire pregnancy, ooooooooooh, I'm so mad. I wish I had said something!

Why didn't I say something?!?! Like, "it's none of your business?" or something sarcastic like "gee, I don't know, what's your professional medical opinion?"

But, no, I didn't. I am, however, going to write a letter to Starbucks. *Grumble*

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 PM

Lol! OMG, people are so freakin' bold. I'm trying to figure out what makes it her business! I don't know what I would have said, but really, what makes people think it's their job to police other people? And I also hate how people assume you've got a Doctor as your health care provider. I Loooove telling people, I don't have a dr, I have midwives, in such a tone that implies that it's better. Mostly they just look at me confused. Hi-lar-ious.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 PM

ooh, I would have been *pissed*! I've been drinking a half-caf latte every day since the beginning of the 2nd trimester without a shred of guilt. If a barista so much as raised an eyebrow at me I wouldn't be back to that coffeeshop.

Write that letter!

mama to Hank - 12/09/09

Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 PM

I had two venti nonfat no whip white mochas today. TWO. Ha! How'd she even know it was for you? And seriously, MYOB!

I've really had it with Starbucks employees, since we're on the rant. WHY do they ask "How are you today?" through the drive-thru? Why waste an extra 7 seconds of my life? Who actually answers that question truthfully anyway? Why do you CARE how I'm doing? I certainly don't care how you're doing; I'm late for work and I'd like my coffee now please.

I'm really mad for you. That would've got me going big time.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 PM

I'd have spoken to her manager. It's not her place or business to question a customer's order.

, , , and
Old 11-06-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hah.

At least they stopped doing that thing where when you say "medium," they say "grande?" or some other smug correction back to you. Was that policy they had to do that because it was really annoying, but I've noticed they stopped.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
I'd have spoken to her manager. It's not her place or business to question a customer's order.
It's not, but it was one of those moments where you're stunned at first, like a deer, and then you walk away thinking "did that just happen?" and then you get about a block away and you're, like, "that just happened and I'm pissed about it!"

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
Old 11-06-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess5377 View Post
It's not, but it was one of those moments where you're stunned at first, like a deer, and then you walk away thinking "did that just happen?" and then you get about a block away and you're, like, "that just happened and I'm pissed about it!"
lol, yep i know this reaction.

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
Old 11-06-2009, 11:40 PM

That was nosy as hell. What was she gonna say if you said your doc told you not to drink them, refuse you service?

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
HA!! I have to complain too! Every time I get coffee while I'm out, no matter where it is, the cashier will glance at my stomach. Most of them will ask if I want decaf lol! It doesn't make me mad, but still. If I wanted decaf, then I would ask, right? So then I feel a little guilty about ordering regular.

I would have been ticked though, if somebody asked me if my doctor said it was ok to have coffee. She should have just asked if you wanted decaf lol!!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 11-07-2009, 12:23 AM

On the other hand, and in danger of being shot down with wet noodles - showing concern for the health of a pregnant woman and her baby is not really a bad thing, however poorly expressed. Also most modern folks, those poor silly dears, have been programed to think women can't have babies without doctors. So a sense of humor is a pregnant woman's best defense against a world of clowns. Remember your stress affects your baby.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:00 AM

DDC Crashing...

THAT TOTALLY HAS HAPPENED TO ME! With my last pregnancy, I ordered by cinnamon dolce latte and the barista asked me like 14X if I wanted a decaf... Um no, and I am going to my night shift job, so if you give me decaf, someone is going to regret it!

Due January 23rd with my
Missing Asa James, born into this world 11-17-08 and into the next 12-25-08
Old 11-07-2009, 01:09 AM

I'm DDC crashing, but I had horrible migraines during the second trimester. Midwife recommended drinking coffee when I felt one coming on or as it was clearing up, because the caffeine helps A LOT with them. And since pain killer did nada for them, and prescription drugs for migraines are bad during pregnancy, coffee it was! Thankfully no one ever gave me a hard time for it!

So if you don't feel like having it out with them, tell them your doctor prescribed them to get rid of migraines instead of taking dangerous prescription drugs... "but trying to carry on a conversation with a migraine makes me very nauseous, so could you hurry please so I don't puke on you?"

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 11-07-2009, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Would it be acceptable for that same barista to ask an overweight woman if her doctor thought it was a great idea for her to have a brownie? Why do pregnancy women become public property when I can't lecture a woman for eating processed foodor some such.

I'd be pretty pissed and tell the woman to mind her own business.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 11-07-2009, 01:55 AM

i went to star bux today LOL got my VENTI carm mac as always screw them wow a coffee is going to hurt this baby yet they can drink beer and do drugs while preg people piss me off i swear
some guy honked at me tonight while the light had JUST turned green so i sat there and let him honk till it went yellow and i then went he did to he was behind me at the stop sign i waited 10sec lol then he was next to me at the light and i was like WTH is your prob? i am 9months preg dood sorry if im :to slow for you" but GET OFF MY @SS!!! ya he said so sorry and drove off

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 02:18 AM

What if she was pregnant? Maybe that's why she was asking, because her dr is giving her grief over caffeine! You never know...

It's totally worth writing a letter over. You never know, it may garner you some coupons for some free drinks!

ETA: I have a coffee shop and I NEVER ask pg women this! That yummy coffee drink could be their one treat of the day, why wreck the moment! (that and it's none of my d*mn business!)

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
Old 11-07-2009, 02:28 AM

I'd go back tomorrow and ask to speak to the manager. If the manager is not appropriately apologetic, then I'd go further up the chain.

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
Old 11-07-2009, 03:47 AM

WOW. I am a chef and part of a seminar I took was on whether or not it was OK to deny a pregnant woman a beer. For the record, it is not. The example they used was that there were 2 women at this restaurant, one clearly pregnant and one not. They both ordered a beer and the waiter was giving the pregnant one crap about it. Turns out, BOTH women were pregnant but one was furthur along.

Just throwing that in- isn't it shocking what people put their noses in? What business of it is hers? You should have said "um... why? I am not pregnant" or "does your doctor say it is ok for you to concern yourself with what I am doing when you should be minding your own business?"

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 11-07-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgrl View Post
How'd she even know it was for you? And seriously, MYOB!
No kidding! I also agree with the overweight person/brownie analogy. Is it ever the server's right to question an order? I probably would have laughed at the poor girl. I'm sure the comment came from an innocent place but it was way out of line.

There are so many conditions that docs may tell people not to eat this or that and there's no way you could tell by looking at them...my sil has lupus and has a handicapped parking sticker but she looks "normal". She has gotten rude looks and comments about parking in the handicapped space! WTH!?

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Old 11-07-2009, 01:25 PM

Yikes. I would be really pissed if someone said that to me! Actually, when I was pregnant with my first, we went to a retirement party when I was like 36 weeks. I ordered a coke. The bartender looked at me with a shocked look and said "we have sprite."
Old 11-07-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Hah.

At least they stopped doing that thing where when you say "medium," they say "grande?" or some other smug correction back to you. Was that policy they had to do that because it was really annoying, but I've noticed they stopped.
Crashing.

I used to work at a starbucks and yes that was policy. You literally had to correct the customer if they ordered their drink wrong too. The training on how to label a cup was a whole damn day lol.

I just had myself a pumpkin spice latte yesterday but I did order decafe only because I get fidgety. I would never come between a woman and her coffee no matter if she is pregnant. I'm SURE she knows that its best to cut back if she has like 10 a day but god that is rude what that chick said.

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:40 PM

*shaking my head and rolling my eyes* MYOB, Starbucks lady!

I second writing the letter in hopes that you'll get some free lattes out of the deal.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DDC crashing....

I would be highly irritated to the point where I would probably go back and say something or write a letter.

Quote:
I know this moment far too well.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:06 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
When you go back, try to educate too. Regardless, they shouldn't have treated you that way, but sometimes little bits of education are the best.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 11-08-2009, 01:15 AM

DDC crashing...

I work for Starbucks, and still drink caffeine. I know what my physical limits are, and wouldn't question someone about their limits. I figure pregnant women can look after themselves in this regard.
It is policy to ask "grande?" when someone says medium. I always ask because sometimes people will say medium but mean small, or say large and mean medium. As for "how are you?" through drive-thru, once again, it's policy. A lot of people don't respond, and just give their order. It's supposed to be nice customer service to ask. Or something like that.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:17 AM

DDC crashing,...

I would have gone back to the same girl and ordered another.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
Would it be acceptable for that same barista to ask an overweight woman if her doctor thought it was a great idea for her to have a brownie? Why do pregnancy women become public property when I can't lecture a woman for eating processed foodor some such.
You go girl! I feel the same way...... I think I would have been so shocked I probably would have said "excussssssssse me?" And then I probably would have said something nasty like: "actually, I have been ordered to have 10 a day.......but this is only my 5th"

I still havent figured out why people feel compelled to give unsolicited advice and/or ask questions when they see that you are pregnant. I have gotten pretty good at saying to people, with a nasty/sarcastic look "thanks for sharing!"

User Tag List