What a crappy time to get sick. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-08-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh, I have had a cold since Tuesday. It got much, much worse by Thursday. The past few nights I've been coughing constantly. My back is sore. My nose is stuffy. I'm just miserable.

This on top of the usual pregnancy complaints... sore ribs, sore pelvis, not being able to sleep, contractions, frequent pooping (lol) What a fun time.

EDD is Thursday. My last son was born at this gestation.

I really don't want to be sick going into labor. I spent the day in bed yesterday and I spent 12 hours in bed last night, most of it sleeping. I don't plan to do much of anything today. Not too easy with two tiny kids, but I've basically put my foot down and told DH we have no choice. Dosing with lots of vitamins, drinking tons of water and tea. I know that it's going to take time to work this out, and I may or may not have that time, KWIM? I'm trying to trust my body that I won't go into labor like this, but also trying to trust that things will be okay if I do.

It's really strange to have gone from being ready and impatient to just wanting another few days to a week to be completely over this!!

If you wouldn't mind holding some space for thoughts of health and healing for me (and babe) that would be so wonderful.
#2 of 8 Old 11-08-2009, 02:26 PM

So sorry Mamma! I will sending healing vibes your way. The last two weeks I was sick as well. I found that Black Elderberry syrup, Xlear saline nasal spray really helped me. You can find these at local health food stores.

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#3 of 8 Old 11-08-2009, 03:27 PM

Can you stomach taking raw garlic? I found that helps me get better REALLY fast! For colds and flu, my MW also suggests trying to make the body more alkaline. You could either do tea with lots of fresh lemon juice, or you could do juice with apple cider vinegar. I found that those also help to get me better very quickly. I hope you feel better soon!

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#4 of 8 Old 11-08-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, you know what's so annoying? My DS was sick the week before, so I had been taking Elderberry, gargling with salt water, and drinking what I call "garlic lemon" tea (a few cloves of garlic+lemon boiled together and then drank like tea) taking mega doses of D and C, probiotics and all of my baseline supplements for the week before started to come down with this! I have to wonder how much worse this would have been had I not.

Mostly though I just need time to heal, regardless... a few days would be nice. But with amount of activity going on with my uterus, I don't know if that's gonna happen.
#5 of 8 Old 11-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Healing vibes!

I've got a bit of a cold too. Trying to rest and drink lots of tea so I don't get too sick!! Humidifying the bedroom at night helped me get over the last cold really quickly.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#6 of 8 Old 11-08-2009, 06:49 PM

I am sorry to hear that I started to get sick a few times but was able to fend off the worst w/ the natural remedies, mostly what you listed, but also zinc as well. Another idea is minced fresh garlic massaged into the soles of your feet and then put socks on to keep it on there. How about having your dh make some good homemade chicken soup as well- you need the nutrients anyway and it can be wonderfully healing- thank goodness you are getting rest!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#7 of 8 Old 11-08-2009, 08:04 PM

So sorry.

We have the same due date. You make me feel like such a pansy for the pregnancy complaints/being depressed to still be pregnant.

I hope you get well soon!!! Maybe someone can come help with the kids. I got a break yesterday afternoon/ last night. My parents took the kids. It was so relaxing!!!
#8 of 8 Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 PM

Well, it turns out that getting sick is my body's sign that labor is going to happen. Have now been sick at delivery for all 3 kids. Sucks! And, if there is a next time, I will just wait around to get sick instead of wondering each night if this is the night.

Hope you start feeling better and that baby holds out until you do!

Kelly - Wife to a wonderful man and Mom to a c-sect boy (3/3/05), hospital vbac.gif girl (12/20/07), h20homebirth.gif girl (11/4/09), expecting #4 EDD 7/15/13. We homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page