The arrival of Shwarmaprince! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 11-08-2009, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went into ‘real’ labor (12 contractions/hour) around 10 am on Friday morning- my MW checked me and I was at 3 cm. All day I walked and labored. Sometime in the afternoon DS’s HR went too high, during contx it was in the 160’s and 170’s, during contx it went up into the 180s and even as high as 192. It did this for 30 min and the MW decided we needed to transport to the hospital just as DH got home from work. I was so disappointed but knew it was totally necessary- I was only at a 5 so I knew a c/s was imminent. MW called and let them know we were coming and so off we went to L&D at my ‘Emergent Transfer’ hospital. MW had me hold the Doppler on his HR the entire time and half way there, he pulled some kind of jujitsu move and totally flipped sides of my uterus. After a min I was able to find him again and felt better. When we walked in the L&D staff was all staring at us and rolling their eyes like we were freaks! They took us into a room immediately and the only sweet nurse there checked us in. We actually lucked out because she had birthed in a BC and hinted to us that she understood our position- didn’t ask me to change clothes or lay on the bed for monitoring. She checked my cervix and I was at a 6 and after 20 minutes of monitoring his HR was in the 140s and 150s, during contrx only 160s. The nurse was very supportive and kept saying, “Well, now he’s a happy baby…” So we decided to continue with our HBAC, checked out AMA and home we went. We think the flip during the car ride fixed whatever issue there was.

As soon we arrived home, DH filled the pool. MW called the assistant and apprentices to come. After a bit more laboring, MW checked me again and I was at a 7 and his HR was great. I was ecstatic that plans were back on track but still not believing my HBAC was going to actually happen. The crew arrived and I got into the pool at an 8. DH had to be shown what to do by the crew but was so awesome once he got going. We got out of the pool ever so often, switching from the toilet to leaning on a counter, to lunging (ouch!!!). Just before midnight there was just a lip that hadn’t budged and the MW asked me if I wanted her to break my bag of waters. I declined, even though she said it would speed things up, because I was worried it would put DS into distress again. After a while she checked again and decided to hold it back during a couple of contractions. This was the worst!! I gave it my all finally and was good to go, she said to push when I felt like it. Well I stuck my finger up and felt his head and that was it. 5 contractions later his head was out, what a relief! His head was still ‘in the caul’ and the MW didn’t even realize he was out because it happened so fast. It was amazing to me that after his head was out he just sorta sat there, half way in, halfway out! MW reached down to check for the cord and at the same time the next contx hit and I pushed like there was no tomorrow and he just shot out! I was so relieved that the other MW had to tell me to grab my baby! My mom went to get DD, even though it was 12:30 am at this time and DD was so confused but excited. She finally had her a sibling!

Next part was annoying. After I looked at him for a couple of min, the MWs asked me to get out to deliver the placenta on the bed and monitor bleeding. I nursed DS after a few minutes and they gave me some herbs to speed the delivery of the placenta, but it wasn’t coming. I was still bleeding and my uterus wasn’t contracting, so after a bit, they decided to call and ambulance for transport. I was so sad but so darn happy I had a VBAC it almost didn’t matter (I know that sounds horrible)! I felt fine, my BP was good, but my pulse was in the 150s (a sign of shock). Baby stayed with the apprentices and was sound asleep, so I felt ok. I had a nice ambulance crew who handled it well, they didn’t even turn on the lights or sirens and were asking questions out of curiosity about HB! On arrival we went through the ER directly to L&D and was so glad a different crew was on than the earlier one (a pride thing). Unfortunately we got a mean nurse this time who was so anti-HB/VBAC and totally gave us HELL. She couldn’t get the placenta out (by traction and pushing on my uterus from above- OUCH!!!) and finally the doc (very sweet, thankfully) came and eventually had to just reach up and grab it by hand. She also did some sutures in a few tears (not very severe, though entending far down). They checked my blood count since I had lost so much blood and it was low, but not extraordinarily. I kept trying to sit up and was too weak. We asked to bring the baby as a visitor so I could nurse and were told no vistors under 16 were allowed due to the Swine Flu. How in the world would a baby born an hour before have the Swine flu?? So dumb. Whatever. We asked them to leave and they were dragging their feet (it was going on 4 hours since I had held my baby, and even though he was still sleeping, I started freaking out (understandably, right?!!) DH went to get a wheelchair so we could just walk out and the mean nurse came running with the discharge papers, at least I didn’t have 2 AMAs in 12 hours!

I am feeling better by the hour, though I’m still a little dizzy and breathing hard when walking to the bathroom. I’m taking my Floradix iron and eating/drinking lots and lots. I had an herbal sitz bath and washed my hair last night and wanted to cry it felt so good. Tonight I’ll do the sitz bath again. DS is nursing like a champ and I’m totally amazed at the difference between a baby having anesthesia (DD) and a baby born al natural. I don’t get a break! He’s a little piglet at 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 ½ inch long, head was 14 5/8 in.

I’m so in love! http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/vv42/melattar/

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#2 of 43 Old 11-08-2009, 10:19 PM

DDC crashing. Congratulations!! What an exciting birth story. I'm glad everyone is healthy and happy. Enjoy your baby and get some rest.
#3 of 43 Old 11-08-2009, 10:25 PM

I am so glad to hear from you! I'm thrilled you got your HBAC! My, what drama! What a story to tell!! I'm glad you're doing well now and cannot wait to see pictures of the little prince!

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#4 of 43 Old 11-08-2009, 10:34 PM

ddc crashing here too- just came in from new posts.
what a great birth story mama! congrats!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#5 of 43 Old 11-08-2009, 10:38 PM

Wow, what a night! Congratulations on your prince's birth!! Hooray for your HBAC!

Sorry you had to go to the hospital (twice), but I'm glad you're back home and all is well.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#6 of 43 Old 11-08-2009, 11:09 PM

I am SO stinkin happy for you!!!!!!

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#7 of 43 Old 11-08-2009, 11:12 PM

Wow, that is some story! Congratulations and good work!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#8 of 43 Old 11-08-2009, 11:18 PM

Many congrats!

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#9 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 12:25 AM

Wow, awesome! I am so glad your HBAC worked out, even though the placenta was difficult. Hope you feel better soon. Enjoy your new little one! Yahoo!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#10 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 12:36 AM

Congratulations on your HBAC!!!!!

So happy for you. Can't wait to see pics of your little prince.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#11 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 01:06 AM

Wow - what drama! At least you got your HBAC and a happy healthy little piggy to cuddle! Congrats!

...ooO*Ooo*ooO*Ooo...
#12 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 01:27 AM

yay u rocked it momma! cant Wait to see him!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#13 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 01:33 AM

I didn't get all my excitement out in the first post, so here's some more!

Congrats again!

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#14 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 01:47 AM

Congrats mama!!! What a story!!
#15 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 02:06 AM

I started to hold my breath in the middle of your story--I thought for sure the rest of it would be you describing your C section! I was so relieved for you that the HBAC went well. Good job, baby, for moving!!! (Did your back labor ease after that?)

So sorry to read about the post partum hospital trip, though sounds necessary; I admire your fortitude in the face of such insensitivity about not allowing you your baby as a visitor and--I can't believe how rough that nurse was with you! (putting so much pressure on a uterus that had a previous incision)-- I would've been so mad!

May your babymoon be a peaceful time of non-stop nursing your sweet little piglet and healing up. Welcome ShwarmaPrince

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#16 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 AM

Congratulations! I'm so glad things worked out!

, , , and
#17 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 06:17 AM

A HUGE congrats! I was worried since you were having such a long and hard labor- so glad to rea dyou made it through that so well! So sorry to hear about the bleeding and hospital experience- I cannot imagine. I can see I wouldn't want to bring a baby to the hospital either,but them not allowing you to see the baby is absolutely freakin' ridiculous.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#18 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Wow, Shwarma, congrats on your VBAC! Enjoy that little prince!!

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
#19 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 AM

wow, what a birth story! congratulations on your little boy!

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#20 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Congratulations ShwarmaQueen!!! I'm so glad to here you had you HBAC!! Sorry about the trips to the hospital and some unsupportive staff. Enjoy all your nursing with your little piglet!!
#21 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 AM

Keep resting mama!! enjoy your babymoon!

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#22 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 12:09 PM

So excited for you!!

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#23 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Congrats! I'm so happy for you that you had your HBAC! Welcome baby boy!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#24 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Congratulations! What a story!
#25 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Wow, what an amazing story! Congratulations on your HBAC!
#26 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 PM

Wow! What a story. So glad you're home safe and sound with your baby and that you got your VBAC.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#27 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 06:48 PM

You did it mama!! Congrats!

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

#28 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 08:33 PM
pjs

Congrats! DS #3 was born in the caul too- it is supposed to be good luck.
#29 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 08:34 PM

Oh, I'm so thrilled you got your VBAC!!! What a story! Congratulations and enjoy your little piglet!

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#30 of 43 Old 11-09-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb3 View Post
Good job, baby, for moving!!! (Did your back labor ease after that?)
Nope! MW said it could just be the shape of the pelvis!

Here are some pics (don't mind the dirty airvent behind DD)! http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/vv42/melattar/

Enjoy!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page