Prodromal labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm completely exhausted (mentally and physically). Since Friday I have had bouts of intense, regular contractions that are kicking my butt. I can't sleep through them and they seem to get worse at about 3-4 am so I wake up and pace around the dark house, talk to the baby, time some ctx and then crash about 5 hours later. (Thankfully, dh has taken the past 3 days off work, so I've been able to nap in between and snooze when it tapers off, but he goes back to work tomorrow, so it's just me and the 3 yr old. Yikes)

My midwife is 2 hours away so I haven't been checked to know if I've made any progress and I'm not sure I would want to know anymore at this point. (Finding out that this is NOT making any changes would totally deflate me). I'm just...tired. Thinking that this could go on for weeks is making me insane. I have everything ready for the baby, I just finished scrubbing my bath tub and sink with steel wool and I'm about to move the Queen size bed by myself to clean underneath it. I'm running out of distractions.

If these were plain, old BH I could swing this for quite a bit longer...but these contractions wake me up, keep me up and HURT. Has anyone else dealt with this?!

I feel so fragile, I cry at the drop of a hat and I feel like I could sleep in the middle of an intersection if someone handed me a pillow and a blanket.

PLEASE tell me this won't go on forever.

Carolina, tree hugging, treehugger.gif animal loving, backyard chicken keeping, Wife to Dh, homeschooling Mama to Ds1(Aug '06) and Ds2 (Nov '09)

#2 of 11 Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh mamma, I'm so sorry. I just went through that for 1 1/2 days, I can't imagine going for longer.

The thing that helped me was drinking pedialyte constantly and continuing to eat light. I also took a light muscle relaxer the second night, which didn't stop them but allowed me to doze off in between. My MW recommended drinking a glass of wine or beer, but that's not an option for me, but maybe you could??

Please be strong, you ARE making progress!!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 11 Old 11-09-2009, 10:31 PM

DDC crashing...

I so feel your pain! I did this with my second and it was not fun. I'd labor all night long, and it would just stop in the morning about 8am. I'd chase my toddler all day long, and then think I was about to get some sleep that night...hello labor pain again. I did this Friday night and Saturday night and Sunday night....

babe was born Monday morning at 4am. I thought I would do this forever. I kept telling myself babies don't fall out. Anyway, my point is when he finally got rockin at around 1am that Monday morning he came in three short hours!!!

I hope your body is getting all the tough work done with these contractions and when things move, they move fast for you! Hope your baby is in your arms soon! Hang in there...

Mama to 4 Boys & One baby Girl! My DH co-sleeps! (with the couch) I'm a Student Midwife!
#4 of 11 Old 11-09-2009, 11:28 PM

I just wanted to say that everytime someone posts a similar thread about prodromal labor and being exhausted, they seem to have their baby within the next few days. Here's hoping!

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#5 of 11 Old 11-09-2009, 11:40 PM

I agree with PP, stay hydrated and eat lightly whenever you feel like it. Your body is getting work done that will be less to do durring "active" labor.

Can you get a massage or a pedicure at least? a hot bath w/some nice bath salts for relaxation? How about a sitter to watch the LO while you're distracted by all the activity?

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
#6 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 01:00 PM

I am in the same place. MISERABLE. Did this with my second...dont' want to tell you how long I did it because you might kill yourself. Suffice it to say, I was in prodromal labor land a long time. I've been here for over a week with this one...MISERABLE. I have resorted to taking either Unisom or Benadryl at night, since I cannot take care of my three kids on no sleep after five hours of contrax every night. So, my advice is take a little bit of medicinal assistance and hope for the best. I didn't do all this prodromal mess with dd #1 or ds....sigh. Wish I wasn't this time....

Perdita, wife to J, mom to Bridget (6), Ivy (4) Trace (2) and Fiona, my 3rd vbac baby, born 12/2/09!
#7 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 01:34 PM

I am here with ya. Had 3 days last week and started last night w/ a lot of more intense but they come and go. It is more emotionally draining than anything to me right now, but I could use a nap.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#8 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 PM

I had 2 days/nights of this with my labor with our third son before active labor took hold, and it really threw me for an emotional loop as well as was physically exhausting, so I admire you for sticking it out this long!

Have you tried adding in some extra calcium? Some ppl recommend 2000 mg. at onset of contractions; it helped me with contractions with baby #2...worth a try. It can be easy to get really overwhelmed at this stage and forget some of the basics: stay hydrated, eat frequently in small amounts (protein, fruit, etc), and rest as often as you need to (even if it means letting the kids watch too much TV, ). Find what it is that nourishes your soul, too, and feed it (meditate, pray, read positive affirmations, call a friend)

Your body is wise and your baby is working with your body, you are making progress, even if it feels like two steps forward and three steps back.

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 02:30 PM

DDC crashing...

I just went through this! It sucks! I was there for a long time...but my active labor was only 5 hours, and it was my first baby and I had to lie very still on my side the whole time (high BP). So that is good! And this is your second baby...I bet that babe will pop right out!

Is your baby posterior? Mine was, and my midwife told me that is THE BIGGEST cause of long prodromal labor- so if he is, try the spinning babies website.

And yes- drink some wine!!
I really feel for you and am sending you loads of labor vibes

Minimalist-living mama on an urban ecovillage with DH and DS- Jack (9/18/09)
#10 of 11 Old 11-12-2009, 06:00 AM

how are you doing c-momma?
i read your post the other day, thinking hmmmm... prodromal labor, what's that all about?! and for the last two days i've been experiencing it!
the thing that is the most demotivating for me is the intensity of these ctx that i've been having. because if it gets worse than this, i can't really imagine it (and i've got a pretty high threshold!).
just wanted you to know that i'm thinking of you, hoping you're relieved from the physical and emotional exhaustion and holding your baby.
#11 of 11 Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I just went through my first night of prodromal labor pains....*sigh*. Not fun at all. I don't know how some of you can stand it for days & weeks. I was actually getting excited that this might be it! Lol!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page