After all the weird/nosy things... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
people have said to me.... WHY was it still surprising to me when a complete stranger asked if I was dilated?

I am so cranky--I should stop going out in public. We're meeting some of DH's extended family for dinner tonight and I'm DREADING it. I just can't be around people anymore.

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#2 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 05:14 PM

I think you should make a sign and wear it. "the state of my uterus is none of your business"

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#3 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 06:01 PM

Here's the tape I have been playing in my head this week:

"Just because I am obviously pregnant doesn't mean I want to discuss it with everyone!"

"I am not a walking conversation piece!"

"I know this is the most obvious thing to talk about, but there IS (gasp) more to me than just this big pregnant belly."

I getcha!

(I have to avoid my male neighbor whenever I walk past his house with my dog-- he tries to touch my protruding belly and always asks so enthusiastically about "how I am doing"...I just give him a quick, "Great! And how are you, isn't this great weather?" and walk away as quickly as I can. Ppl are so not aware of how it feels to be at this stage!

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 PM

I want to be home alone all the time, too. I'm so tired of my planet-sized belly attracting looks and comments. At least strangers aren't asking me if I'm dilated, although my co-workers were talking about how "exciting" it would be if my water broke at work!!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#5 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 PM

I complained to my dh about this after some guy at WalMart commented on my belly. I know the guy was trying to be nice, said something to the effect "that's totally cool". But really how am I supposed to reply to that? I'm getting a bit tired of it too.
#6 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 PM

i sop sick of SHES NOT HERE YET? Still preg huh? NO im not im just stiill fat thanks!i said that yestersay and the guy looked at me i was like um jk

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#7 of 11 Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 PM

That's awful! What is wrong with people!?

DH and I have a coffee shop and I'm suprised at how my sex life & body parts are completely fair game for any customer to talk about. Ugh.

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#8 of 11 Old 11-11-2009, 03:19 PM

Yesterday we had a little brownie-eating fest in the conference room for someone's birthday. As it was my due date, baby talk predominated the conversation. Here was one exchange:

My boss's boss: "So, are you dilated at all?"
Me: "Um, I'm not really sure I'm comfortable discussing the condition of my cervix with my boss's boss."
Boss's boss: "Ewwww."
Me: "Um, you're the one who asked if I was dilated."

Everyone is pretty much tripping that I'm refusing internal checks. My secretary said I shouldn't have stopped going to the doctor because the doctor would be able to tell me when I was going to have the baby based on my dilation. Rofl at the thought of my midwife being stupid for not being able to do the same. People crack me up.

I try and educate, but every once in a while it's just easier and more fun to embarass. Like when someone in my department asked "Have you and the midwife talked about what you're going to do in an emergency?" To which I replied "OMG NO! I guess we should start thinking about that, huh! " I mean, seriously.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#9 of 11 Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM

...am a November lurker, but can totally relate to this topic!!! At last ob appointment the too-young-to-be-for-real nurse asked me if I would "go ahead and give her a urine sample..." I was growling to myself on the way to the potty that I would go and pee in a cup for my dr but not for her, sheesh!
I am at the point where I can count down the days, so they say, but I know from being late the last two times that I shouldn't or else my are-you-there-yet crabbiness will only get worse...
Good luck at you mommas!!!

If you want to sound wise, go to school. If you want to be wise, go to nature.
My 3 sons! 8/92, 1/97 & 12/09!!
#10 of 11 Old 11-11-2009, 04:56 PM

I don't know whether it is better to be at home or work . . .
at work, I get:

OMG why are you still here (need $$$)!
Wasn't your due date Saturday (11/7/09) yes
Are you dilated any (just 1 - find it easier to answer than avoid)
When is he coming? (I dunno, he's pretty comfy)
What does your doctor think? (my MIDWIFE thinks he's fine)
and my favorite:
When are you going to induce? (hopefully never. she won't let me get past 41+6 which is 11/20)

at home from DH I get:

Are you having contractions?
how strong are they?
how far apart?

The answers to which vary, the last one the answer is, until they really make me focus and concentrate, I'm not bothering to time them. No point. The first two answers are usually (BH sometimes, prodromal labor sometimes) and enh. painful sometimes, sometimes not.

I wish I could just disappear into a hole for 2 weeks and emerge with a baby.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#11 of 11 Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and the constant question "how big do they say he is?" (you know, because I sooooooooo want to discuss how stretched out my vag will be/how I'll be unable to birth him at all with you)

I just say I don't know, when what I really want to say is "I could pull a figure out of my butt and be about as accurate as an ultrasound right now."

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page