Post-partum moms: how much time is your LO awake? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD sleeps all.the.time. I have to wake her to eat generally. I doubt she's awake for even 2 hrs a day (adding up all the 10-15 minute chunks she's awake). It seems that ds2 was more awake at this point (6 days old).

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#2 of 10 Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 PM

my girl sleeps so much too. I almost don't know what to think of it because my son came out screetching and never stopped and barely slept. I'm half afraid my babe now doesn't wake enough to eat. Granted, she is two days old, so I don't know.

Does your dd have small periods when she is awake and alert (and not crying)? I've noticed so far that mine will sleep, wake up and be alert for a few minutes, eat, and then zonk right back out.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#3 of 10 Old 11-10-2009, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah - she wakes, eats, and zonks. I had trouble waking her to eat after she slept for 4 hrs today (tried everything short of wiping her down with a cold cloth) so I called my midwife. She said some babies are just sleepier and you really do need to wake them. She recommended trying to wake her to nurse every 2 hrs instead of every 3-4. I never had to worry with either ds1 or ds2. Nursing on demand was just that. I shudder to think what would happen if I wait for this girlie to nurse on demand.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#4 of 10 Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 AM

My dd sleeps all day and night except from 2-4:30/5am. She is wide awake and alert I have to wake her during the day to feed her. Sometimes she is awake durning the day and alert but mostly shes asleep. She is 15 days old.

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#5 of 10 Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM

Sleep, eat, poop. Repeat. Yes, that's about all my little guy does. He has about 3 awake/alert periods a day, but those don't really last longer than a 1/2 hour each...
#6 of 10 Old 11-11-2009, 03:02 PM

DS is awake for about 2 hrs each day in total. Usually for an hr in the am and an hr in the evening. But he just had another dr appointment on mon because he has breastmilk jaundice (not a big deal but the dr just wanted to make sure he was still growing) and since birth he has grown 2 inches and has gained 2 lbs. So I'm thinking that is why he is sleeping so much more then dd's.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#7 of 10 Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM

Our LO is 13 days old now and she usually nurses for 20 mins or so then is awake for 30-45 mins (just hanging out, watching the world go by) then falls asleep for 2-4 hours, if she isn't awake by 4 hours we wake her to nurse again, except at night. She has given us a couple of 5-6 hour night time stretches already! Our night time ritual is usually I nurse her about 1am and she wakes up around 6am for her next feeding and then back to sleep again until 9ish. (she doesn't do the 30-45 mins awake time after feeding during the night, only during the day). She seems to be a very content baby!

Denyel & Kate Bond - Black Belt Mamas to Dekaylee born 10/29/09 - And parents to our 4-legged family including 1 Dog "Hank", 2 cats "Boris & Ahmi", and 5 Beautiful Alpacas!!
#8 of 10 Old 11-11-2009, 05:30 PM

I am with you all.. Kieran doesn't like to be awake much at all. I suspect it is partly because DD has been having temper tantrums daily- I think he is trying to block her out. I don't blame him. I started getting concerned when I read online that newborns sleep 18 hours a day- Kieran sleeps wayyy more that. He does the sleep, eat, poop, repeat too. To the point where I am like "OMG, DH, come quick, his eyes are open!"

I guess it is their way of kinda easing us into motherhood (or having another child). Gives me more time with DD to get her adjusted and spend more time with her doing mommy-daughter stuff.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#9 of 10 Old 11-12-2009, 01:19 PM

I could have written this! DS2 is 8 days old and sleeps all the time. What a difference from DS1. Just enjoy the tranquility while it lasts...

Mommy to The Boy (August 2006) and Another Boy (November 2009)
#10 of 10 Old 11-12-2009, 05:41 PM

so far, mine will take 1 to 2 huge naps(all day if i let him). i wake him up to breastfeed and whatnot but after that he generally falls back asleep. he goes through waves of hunger and then knocks right back out, lol. he wants to sleep all night long too, so i have my alarm set to go off so i can feed him throughout the night. sometimes he will let me lay him down and he will practice moving arms/legs and making faces, looking around too, but not for long... maybe 20 minutes if even then he goes back to sleep. he doesn't do much yet

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page