Anyone making themselves nuts cleaning for homebirth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone making themselves nuts cleaning for homebirth? I keep trying to keep it as neat as possible in the hopes of going into labor soon. I've also tried the reverse as well to no avail.

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#2 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM

I've been making myself sick!! I just can't go to sleep if the kitchen is a mess. I think, "What if I go into labor tonight?" my kitchen would never recover until I was able to whip it back into shape sometime post-partum. And I don't want to end up with a prolapse, so I want to hold off on housework for the first month or so post-partum.

So I stay up till 1 am cleaning, and ended up coming down with a cold that I knew I would have fought off if I had been resting more. And now my blood pressure is going up because I'm not resting as much as I was before.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#3 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 08:10 PM

Well neat and tidy it's not. I don't expect much on that end with ds's toys and daily disasters. But I have been trying to make a point of keeping the bathrooms clean and the kitchen clean. I REALLY don't want a dirty bathroom once I'm in labor. Also dh is great at some things, but bathroom cleaning isn't one of them. I'd like to not worry about it after baby is here at least for a week or so.
But I don't think it will be bringing labor on for me. I think I'll be delivering closer to my EDD which is still 2 weeks away.
#4 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM

This was me last week. I cleaned the bathroom and kitchen every day. It paid off. When I went into early labour, my doula came over to help me tidy up. It took us at most 15 min and that was including vacuuming the whole house. It gave me great peace of mind to know that my house wasn't trashed while I was in labour. Of course, the minute the kids came home after I had the baby, it all when to heck, but everyone (not family) was gone by then.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#5 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 PM

Well, I've done what I can about the kitchen, bathroom and livingroom. DH did a nice clean of the kitchen, but the bathroom is still nasty and that's the one place I need him to do it. Instead, he's obsessed with our storage area and is currently power drilling hooks into the wall so we can hang out broom, vacuum and duster, which I don't really see the point of, but I don't think he'll clean the bathroom until he gets to do a few things he sees as priority. The dust bunnies under the sofa (that I can't get to) are taunting me. Make them stop!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#6 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 PM

I wish I was making myself nuts cleaning! I have completely hit the wall and I'm 37-ish weeks. It could happen anytime and my house is a disaster. We have a new couch & chair coming tomorrow and I should have the living room clean before putting it into place...maybe that will happen tonight, we'll see.

I did end up buying a turkey to freeze with stuffing for post partum meals. And I bought containers for the freezer. And a week later, we threw the leftovers out, because neither I nor DH had the gumption to take the meat off the carcass and freeze the dam* stuff. Gah. What a waste. At least we got a few nights meals out of it. :/

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#7 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Let's just say that I've put the stove elements through the dishwasher (wtf?)and have the oven cleaner sitting overnight tonight.

And I am NOT someone who likes to clean. I just suddenly NEED everything to be really clean.

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#8 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Yeah, I've been maniacal.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#9 of 13 Old 11-11-2009, 11:52 PM

Not me but my husband. Today he went around and repainted all the door trim. This weekend he's going to do the base boards. He scrubbed the bathrooms last night (like super scrubbed). I chipped in and did the kitchen. But he has been like this for the past week! It's bad enough he's a little OCD when it comes to a clean house but this is getting rediculous! Poor kids can't even bring out a toy to play with!

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

#10 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 01:45 PM

I can identify with what pp wrote about not going to bed without cleaning up the dishes and kitchen. I have been keeping up on dishes and laundry pretty well (patting myself on the back for that ) but mopping the floor (the whole house is tile flooring) and cleaning the showers is something I have little energy for .

I figure I'll do those tasks on the weekend, and just try to keep them tidy in between, as "clean" is out of the realm of possibility with three children home all day and my spouse working from home. Oh, well!

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily's_Mom View Post
I've been making myself sick!! I just can't go to sleep if the kitchen is a mess. I think, "What if I go into labor tonight?"
This is me exactly! The only problem is that I've been doing this every night for about the past 8 days, and still labor hasn't started... so I think maybe I'm jinxing myself. I should go to bed and leave the house a mess, then I'm sure this baby will decide to come, lol.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#12 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppie View Post
This is me exactly! The only problem is that I've been doing this every night for about the past 8 days, and still labor hasn't started... so I think maybe I'm jinxing myself. I should go to bed and leave the house a mess, then I'm sure this baby will decide to come, lol.
Oh, the logic of pregnant women! I went to bed the other night and was too tired to clean up and I was sure labor would of course start, but obviously it hasn't yet. Who knows when baby will come!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#13 of 13 Old 11-12-2009, 03:44 PM

oh, you mean like when I cleaned out the washing machine yesterday? That's right, my big huge pg self, hanging over the washer with a squirt bottle full of cleaner and a towel, scrubbing away like mad. Please, someone, save me from myself.

Perdita, wife to J, mom to Bridget (6), Ivy (4) Trace (2) and Fiona, my 3rd vbac baby, born 12/2/09!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page