Is anyone else still undecided on a name? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just stuck. I have a few names I really like, but I don't know if any of them are "the" name. I think I've exhausted the baby name books, too . . .

Anyone else?

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#2 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 12:45 AM

My baby has no name either. I don't know the sex, and I don't have a name picked out for either gender.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#3 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 01:32 AM

With every child I do all the leg work on finding names only to have then shoot down by my husband. Very annoying. This being our third son I've gone through all the names I like but my husband doesn't like any of them. Now we only have one name we can agree on. Which I'm okay with but it's definitely not my favorite. I wish we had a back up name in case he doesn't look like the name my husband likes. With every child we have always had at least two names to pick from.

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#4 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 02:00 AM

^^^I'm in the same boat right now (every name I like gets shot down) which has taken most of the fun out of it. I'm not offering up anymore names until the end. Less time to object.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#5 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 AM

We decide after the babe is born here.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Girl name, yes. Boy name...errrr, nothing. Well, I have my secret name that I want if it's another boy, but I think it won't go over with the DH, and he keeps coming up with names that make me want to retch into a hat. So far though, all the people who have asked if it's a girl or boy and get a response that we don't know say, "Well, I think it's a girl." That's my gut too, so I am not worrying about boy names for now.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#7 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 02:09 PM

there's only about a 5% chance that it's a boy (well, who knows really, we were told it was "probably" a girl when we had our u/s, but nothing 100%)...and if it's a boy, we have no name picked out. everytime I mention it to DH, he says, we don't need to be wasting our time thinking about that! (He's sure it's a girl.)

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#8 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 PM

We don't know if its a boy or girl either and also have no names for either. We talk about names all the time but can't agree on anything. I am really hoping when we see the baby something just comes to us and we know its name! DD didn't have a name for a few days and that was OK, so I guess this one might not either.
#9 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

RE: the DH/DP issue . . .DH named one of our DDs completely on his own. He picked a name and told me he'd consider another if I came up with something he liked more. I tried, but was not successful.

This will be our 4th DD. We named two together, he named on on his own, so this time I decided I will be doing it on MY own. There is one name I like that he really, really hated, so that one is out, but other than that, I am going solo.

It's harder in some ways, but I think the whole name thing is very hard as it is.

Maybe it will all come together once the baby is born, though I don't trust my judgment too much at that point. I almost named my 1st DD "Rosebud" because of her lips when she was born instead of the planned "Fiona." I am SO glad we stuck with Fiona!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#10 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 02:51 PM

I am super stuck and it's actually really stressing me out. I have two DS and knew what their names would be, for sure, and it worked out great. This time, I'm having a girl, and now I have my 2 sons, 1 stepdaughter, and husband to throw their opinions in....and no idea! She is due in a few days.

Cora? Jessie? Eva? Emma? I want to use family names, too....but it's so hard!

Laurie wash.gif (44), wife to DH thumb.gif(60), mama to DS guitar.gif (18), DS reading.gif(6), DSD heartbeat.gif(15), and DD (4)jog.gif 
#11 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 03:03 PM

Yeah, this little man may have no name for a week after he's born. DH and I are having a really hard time even coming up with the short list we planned to pick from after we see him. We agree on about, oh, zero names.

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#12 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 03:50 PM

Neither of us like the names the other has suggested. I esp. dont like using his father's name as the middle name, but understand why he wants to and have not put my foot down.* Neither of us can figure out something that goes with it well that we both like. I'm partial to Owen. He's partial to Jason or Joshua.

*(FIL died a year ago, but was a selfish drunk who in his last years did evertyhing he possibly could to be a burde to DH. He mistreated MIL and DH, never paid support, as well as pissed me off royally a number of times. I don't want to use the name b/c of the baggage associated with it, but at least if it's a middle I don't have to use it often.)

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
#13 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 04:39 PM

We will decide a name after the baby is born.

, , , and
#14 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 06:24 PM

For our first ds, dp had a name he always liked and I never had anything that I liked more. Also, dp is very laid back and I tend to make a lot of decisions in our family, so when he actually had an opinion on the name, i went with it.

This time we are having another boy, and for a few weeks after we found out it was a boy, we tried to think of names. There were a lot that we liked okay, but nothing that stood out to me.

Then people started pressuring us about a name, and being the contrary person that I am, i decided to stop looking for a name (im not good with people telling me what to do or how to do something). This one will be named after he is born and I am very excited about that.

Dp is on board for waiting, although he has some names that he really likes and teases me about it.
#15 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 06:49 PM

No name here yet either, although we have planned to wait until she is born to name her. Still... what if she NEVER gets a name!? AAAAH!
#16 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 07:41 PM

We don't name the kids until birth, so officially we don't have a name, but we do have a collection of names to choose from (finally).

For the mama's whose DHs are objecting to all the names you've bothered to search out, you can always tell them when they take the time to research some names, then they can have veto power. Or maybe that's just the cranky pregnancy hormones talking.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#17 of 17 Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatolevi View Post
Neither of us like the names the other has suggested. I esp. dont like using his father's name as the middle name, but understand why he wants to and have not put my foot down.* Neither of us can figure out something that goes with it well that we both like. I'm partial to Owen. He's partial to Jason or Joshua.

*(FIL died a year ago, but was a selfish drunk who in his last years did evertyhing he possibly could to be a burde to DH. He mistreated MIL and DH, never paid support, as well as pissed me off royally a number of times. I don't want to use the name b/c of the baggage associated with it, but at least if it's a middle I don't have to use it often.)
I have a similar situation with a boys middle name. DS has my dads name as a middle (he was awesome and passed away 6 years ago) We always use family names for middles, but if this one is a boy I DO NOT want to use my selfish, cranky, terrible, FIL's name as a middle! He has the same last name as us and so I would be using his full name in essence, you know? But of course he would be so hurt (I don't care really) and DH doesn't want to do that to him, I would rather use DH's Grandpas name as a middle because we are all much closer to him and he is a great guy. What to do, what to do.........

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page