DH wants to go to a hockey game - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My due date is Tuesday and DH wants to go to a hockey game on Saturday.
The problem is that if he goes I know he is going to want to have a few beers. That means taking the train and having someone drop off and pick them up at the train station. I would imagine that it would take him at least 2 hrs to get home depending on the train schedule if I needed him to.

If he drove and didn't drink at all it would still take him at least an hour if not more to get out of the arena to the parking and home.

I am not sure how I feel Dh has never been to see a leafs game live and his friend has offered him a free ticket ( he won them) They are very pricy to buy so its not really an option for him to go another time.
I am a bit PO'd that I am now in the position to say yes or no now.

DH said we would see how I am feeling in the morning and day before he went. Unfortunately that doesn't mean one whole heck of alot after my last 56 minute labor.

Hopefully I am right and DS2 wont decide to show up for at least another week.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM

You have my sympathy. Sorry Mama

Aradria SAHM to : ds 2003, ds and dd 2007 and ds Nov 2009. :
#3 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 01:56 PM
pjs

Unfortunately this is one of those times when you have to make a sacrifice for the benefit of the family as a whole. DH shouldn't put this on you- he's capable of making a decision as the protector of your family. Does he feel comfortable going to a game knowing he could be leaving his wife and dc #1 while in labor and miss the birth of his child? Is a hockey game more important than being there for the birth of his child and during labor for his wife who will need him probably the most she'll ever need him?
#4 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 02:14 PM

I would have said yes, until I saw your last labor was 56 minutes. Personally I wouldn't want my dh going knowing that he could miss the birth and helping me through the labor. Were you early with your last births? Not that that will necessariy mean anything with this one....
#5 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Personally I would say no to the game as I too have short labours. If he could get home in 30 minutes then fine, but thats not the case, and this is a home birth where support really needs to be there.
#6 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

I do have lots of support available 3 generations worth 2 minute walk away.
I also have a wonerful neighbour with kids the same age as mine who has told me anytime day or night if I need her.

I do worry that DH would be really upset with himself if he missed it. The kids would probably be upsett too.

DH and I have been at odds about a few things with this birth. I think it might be less stressful for me if he wasn't there TBH
I feel really bad saying that though as he really wants to be there for/with me.

He is really antsy about having a HB, has been negative somewhat about DS's nursing ( he doesn't know that DD still asks to nurse for a few seconds every couple of months) Recently he brought up that he didn't want the kids at the birth because he thought it might traumatize them
He finally agreed to play it by ear.

Geez now I feel bad

#7 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 03:49 PM

dont feel bad
my DH goes to the nascar race EVERY year has sence the track opend her like 9 years ago it was something him and his father did together till his fathr fizzled out of his life
well it was last weekend and i told him DO NOT GO! the track its self ios littelry like 15-20mins drive ffrom our home But if i had gone into labor after the race had just ended it takes us 3-4hrs to get out of the parking lot litterly so i told him
is a race more important then seeeing your child be born?
i didnt feel bad at all as you shouldnt ether!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
#8 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 04:27 PM

Ooh, a Leaf's game. That is painful. But getting out of Toronto after one would take him forever, even if he was driving, wouldn't it?

What a sucky situation.

I would let him worry about wether he'll feel bad about missing the birth. Since you have lots of other support, I would ask myself wether its going to be worse for your relationship, and your opinion of him to agree or not.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#9 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 05:29 PM

I am not a fan of sports and thankfully Dh also isn't a fan. But with a whole family of sports nuts and it being in Toronto and the chance to go I feel for you mama and I would be mad that he put it on you to make the choice! But getting out of Toronto as Jilly said is a pain all in it self with out a game going on I could not imagine him getting out even in an hour if he drove!!! I would tell him to do what he feels is right!

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#10 of 10 Old 11-13-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly View Post
Ooh, a Leaf's game. That is painful. But getting out of Toronto after one would take him forever, even if he was driving, wouldn't it?

What a sucky situation.

I would let him worry about whether he'll feel bad about missing the birth. Since you have lots of other support, I would ask myself wether its going to be worse for your relationship, and your opinion of him to agree or not.
I know how badly he wants to go and how much it means to him.
I really have no idea how long it takes to get out of Toronto after a leafs game and on the 401.

I hope the baby doesn't come tomorow either. Ok let me rephrase that. The baby is not allowed to come tomorow as my MW is unavailable and it is my Moms birthday as well as the game.

I really love him but so far he has not made a great labor support for me ( and thats ok) I wouldn't be bothered if he didn't want to be there but he really does.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page