Is anyone else 41 weeks or more? Anyone? Anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-15-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I'm 41 weeks pregnant, and it seems like everyone else has had their babies on here... is anyone else this far along, or more? just looking for a little support, I guess...

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#2 of 24 Old 11-15-2009, 08:25 PM

I'm not yet 41 weeks, but I'm still very much pregnant! Were your other girls early/on-time? I had DD right at 40 weeks, so I'm feeling like this one should be here any minute, even though I'm hoping to hold out until December.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#3 of 24 Old 11-15-2009, 09:47 PM

I am in the same boat as you. It so weird for me because DS came 2 weeks early and DD came 3 weeks early so I have been preparing myself since around Halloween, which wasn't a good thing since now I am in quite a funk. Really just feeling sorry for myself. How are you dealing right now. I never thought I would think about induction but, I am getting myself in a bad place emotionally trying to deal with the hurs of contractions that just end up petering out everyday.....
#4 of 24 Old 11-15-2009, 10:00 PM

Me! I am 41 weeks today! This is my first pregnancy, and I swear I thought she would come early. I felt her move early, I was measuring big my entire pregnancy... and I just had a feeling she would make her entry into the world much earlier than this. It's been so frustrating for me! I'm doing everything I can to get things going... I've even gone to acupuncture. But nothing

I go for a nonstress test tomorrow to make sure everything is okay and then my midwife said she would have to induce me next week if she isn't here by then At my last appointment (last week), I was dilated 1 CM (but I think I've dilated more since the last visit), and she said she would try sweeping the membranes and giving me castor oil if I don't go into labor by Thursday.

I'm just so tired and frustrated. And I've literally stopped answering my phone and emails. And most of all- I am worried about the baby... I hope she is okay in there. I just keep getting bigger and bigger and I keep getting comments like, "She will be too big for you to birth" etc etc. I don't know what is going on... I'm just praying praying praying that she comes this week.

I'm not coping well

Me: New mama to DD born 11/17/2009. We And:
#5 of 24 Old 11-15-2009, 10:29 PM

Oh Felicity, I am sorry to hear that. I have a friend whose got played the big baby card and got induced at 42 weeks on the nose and ended up with an 8lb baby. Thankfully they only gave her pitocin and she had the baby 3 hours later, so no cascade. If your baby is OK, maybe she just needs to cook more. I'm sorry the waiting and contractions is getting you down!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#6 of 24 Old 11-15-2009, 11:25 PM

felicity, I completely undersatnd. I am not even talking to my sister or SIL, or anyone else, because I am just so in a funk myself and don't know what to do either. I am am of course getting the big baby stuff as well as the need for C sections rise after 41 weeks from my MW. Sorry you are going through this too. And I feell like I can't drop my son off at school anymore cause I can't deal with the wasn't this supposed to be a Halloween baby or what are you going to do questions. I hope the NST test goes well for you. I have mine on Tuesday and have to have the induction conversation then too.
Ladies I am sorry we are in this boat, but glad I got some other great mommas to be in it with me...
#7 of 24 Old 11-15-2009, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the support everyone

I'm sorry that we're all going through this as well. I read somewhere that 50% of babies come within one week of their due dates, and 93% come within 2 weeks. Ehhhh I don't know- the whole 40 weeks on the dot thing seems a little arbitrary as well.

There are so many emotions to deal with- being nervous, excited, tired, frustrated, worried, anxious, etc... on top of having to deal with all those uncomfortable pregnancy symptoms! And yeah... the whole "Weren't you supposed to have a Halloween baby?" thing gets old really fast. People now leave messages like, "Oh I just wanted to see how you were doing" which is equally frustrating for me, to be honest with you. And that's why I have just stopped taking calls!

Anyway, I will let you all know how the NST goes tomorrow. Please keep me updated on your situations as well... I hope we all get the best birth experience possible and that everything will be healthy and normal and as natural as can be!

Me: New mama to DD born 11/17/2009. We And:
#8 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

we're planning a homebirth, and so I don't think I'll be having any tests like NST etc. I imagine if I'm still pregnant next week, at 42 weeks, my MW will have me start thinking about castor oil.

My first dd was born at 42 weeks. My second dd was born at 40w5days. I guess I was thinking this one might be even earlier than the last, but of course I was wrong! I'm just really hoping it comes sometime this week. please, baby, please!

#9 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 01:35 AM

There are so many emotions to deal with- being nervous, excited, tired, frustrated, worried, anxious, etc... on top of having to deal with all those uncomfortable pregnancy symptoms!

I found this to be all too real with ds at 12 days "overdue," having done basically every method of '"natural" induction including sweeping membranes and castor oil TWICE. I was venting to my doula on day 12, and she suggested some emotional cleansing, whatever that might mean to me... I went home and started writing out frustrations about EVERYTHING I could think of, and once I got to the KEY unsaid emotional block, something that I had not thought about for since early in my pregnancy, I had a HUGE contraction. My water broke an hour later, the rest is history. So, the moral of the story is, make sure that you are not possibly holding on to something that is blocking the birthing energy. I would not believe it if it hadn't happened to me, but the mindbody connection is undeniable. CLEANSE. It never hurts to offload emotional baggage. HTH

mama to Sage-3, and #2 in Nov.
1-30****35******
#10 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 09:51 AM

I am 41+2 today, and go in for an NST. I hope I've progressed beyond the 1 cm 50% effaced I've been for like 3 weeks. I am willing that they strip my membranes if I'm more than a 1, but that's it. I've done all the natural stuff and it didn't work.

The emotional stuff is interesting, I need to work on that maybe . . .

GL and may all our babies come soon and healthy!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#11 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 AM

I am just 40w1 here. I am sorry you are feeling so unsupported Sounds like you tend to cook babies a bit longer, huh? I agree w/ namamaste as well I think that the emotional cleansing can be so powerful as well, even if it doesn't bring the baby right then- you need to let it all out and vent!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#12 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM

update: NST went well, baby moved plenty, heartrate was good, but no contractions while on monitor (go figure). They set me up for a BPP on Thursday (again, I had one last Tuesday that was great) and if no baby, induction on Friday.

on the positive side, I've gone from 50 to 60 % effaced, and his head is now at -2 instead of -3 so that is positive, but I've not dilated any more (still at 1 cm). The midwife said to have sex like rabbits

I have been really crampy ever since, so maybe that will help move some things along.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#13 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I agree that emotional hangups can be an issue, but really I feel like I worked through all that 2 weeks ago... at 39 weeks! And then my hang-ups were mainly the stress of my 2 little ones being pretty demanding. since then they've settled down and I've come to terms with it.

I don't think any emotions or mental-preparation on my part will do the trick, nice as that may be. I am ready for this baby, I am ready for labor, I've done it twice before without meds and I'm prepared to do it again, I'm excited for it, I'm ready for a little newborn in my arms, etc etc etc.

It would be nice if that were all that it is! Maybe for some people. sorry, if all it took was a "cleansing" of my mind then baby would have come 2 weeks ago !!!!! i'm a little touchy on that subject, I guess As if the women who go into labor before 40 weeks are all emotionally & mentally prepared. ??? ha.

sometimes we're just ready and apparently baby isn't. some women just have it in their genes to carry babies a bit longer. I know it's in my blood...my mom was late with all 6 of hers. but that doesn't make it easier, necessarily! ok, thanks for listening ... now back to my cup of raspberry leaf tea

#14 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 04:38 PM

I love this thread. I'm 41 weeks tomorrow and while I've been saying all alone I want a 42-weeker, I don't think I actually believed I'd still be pregnant at this point. And the phone calls and texts and e-mails and Facebook messages are driving me up a wall and back down again. I think my new response is going to be "OMG! I forgot to call you? I had the baby two weeks ago - and holy schnikees - it was actually a BOY!!!!" And I LOVE our DDC - I feel so fortunate to have found all the ladies here. But I'm so sick of hearing about people in week 38 whining about no baby, and I'm really jealous of all the women due after me that already have questions about newborns. How crappy and unsupportive is that?

I wish everyone could just leave me alone to make a nice little happy birthing space, physically and emotionally. And I really REALLY wish I lived closer to my parents, so my mom didn't fly all the way out here NINE DAYS AGO to keep reminding me that she can only stay until the 28th and she'd really like to help with the baby. It's getting annoying to have to re-stash the, um, happy-time toys every morning so she doesn't inadvertantly find them. Plus her presence is a constant reminder that I haven't given birth yet. :sigh

It can't be too much longer now girls. Hang in there!

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#15 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 06:31 PM

I know! at this rate, I am actually glad we have an induction date (friday, the 20th) just to get people off my back about when the baby is coming. Facebook is awful, I update there daily so people know, and yet they still call or comment, what no baby yet? like I would hide him. (it is super tempting though!)

I sure hope he comes before Friday, I don't WANT to be induced! but I sure do want him OUT.

#16 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppie View Post
I agree that emotional hangups can be an issue, but really I feel like I worked through all that 2 weeks ago... at 39 weeks! And then my hang-ups were mainly the stress of my 2 little ones being pretty demanding. since then they've settled down and I've come to terms with it.

I don't think any emotions or mental-preparation on my part will do the trick, nice as that may be. I am ready for this baby, I am ready for labor, I've done it twice before without meds and I'm prepared to do it again, I'm excited for it, I'm ready for a little newborn in my arms, etc etc etc.
I hope my post didn't imply that is what I thought that you just haven't given birth because you have some issue. Sure it can be for some, but not all. But at the end emotions are high anyway because regardless of how zen you may be about when the baby comes all too often there is that outside pressure and it is nice to just vent about that. I am not nervous about labor either. However, I have off and on stress about the after the baby part due to many reasons I won't list. I am paranoid for myself that I have inhibiited labor, but it is what it is. Unfortunately though it isn't all about when we want them to come as you know- sometimes they come before we want and sometimes after.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#17 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 06:56 PM

I was due Friday the 13th, and just avoided a cervical exam today. I do not do vaginal exams well due to being a survivor and having had a forced vaginal examination ( held down by attendants and forcible examined) at age 16 in Las Vegas. My provider is a midwife centered provider here and awesome. Nonetheless, they say My induce date is the 25th ( although I can go til the 27th in actuality;they said they'd do it then because of Thanksgiving !!!!!), but on Friday -this Friday-I get the non stress test ,and they talked about sweeping my membranes.

I am afraid I'll really freak out during the membrane sweeping. Is it painful?
#18 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 07:38 PM

RE sweeping membranes: it felt like a slightly aggressive pap smear to me. Didn't bother me a bit, but then, I don't have any previous trauma. Hope it's not a big deal for you; you can always refuse, ya know????

Here's my Drama Queen personna:
I was late with my first three, so I know I'll be late with this one, but I am major in denial. OUT NOW! TIME'S UP! OUT! OUT! OUT! I am sooooooooo done. Been done. Over done. Done cookin'. Done bakin'. OUT!!!!!!

Haven't left my house in three days except play in the yard with my kids. Not answering the phone. Barely looking at email. I feel like Lady MacBeth: Out damned spot! Out! Except it's a baby, not a spot, which is a bit more problematic. I have decided instead to crochet/knit like three more baby hats. Which should occupy me a bit. And then I need to finish a sweater. And probably start a new one.

I am just so restless and discombobulated. I can't figure out what to do with myself. I know, I know, I have three children. Aren't they enough? Well, yes, but my brain will not concentrate on them. It keeps turning to this baby inside who won't come OUT! I have baked and cleaned and organized and baked some more...OUT!!!!!!

Drama Queen retreating now to crochet quietly in a corner and weep.

Perdita, wife to J, mom to Bridget (6), Ivy (4) Trace (2) and Fiona, my 3rd vbac baby, born 12/2/09!
#19 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppie View Post

It would be nice if that were all that it is! Maybe for some people. sorry, if all it took was a "cleansing" of my mind then baby would have come 2 weeks ago !!!!! i'm a little touchy on that subject, I guess As if the women who go into labor before 40 weeks are all emotionally & mentally prepared. ??? ha.

sometimes we're just ready and apparently baby isn't. some women just have it in their genes to carry babies a bit longer. I know it's in my blood...my mom was late with all 6 of hers. but that doesn't make it easier, necessarily! ok, thanks for listening ... now back to my cup of raspberry leaf tea
I had my Bradley class yesterday and prodromal labor was blamed on women who are too in their heads and I wanted to call BS so bad. Sure, the brain is a factor and will be the case for some women, but some people's body's just prep that way. It really irritated me for some reason.

I'm starting to wish I'd lied about my due date, especially at work, in case I go later than my EDD. I'm nearly 38 weeks and I'm already being asked "You're still pregnant?!", "Why are you still here???", "Girl, when are you being induced, you've been pregnant long enough!?" I've been getting thiese questions EVERYday since last week. Yes, I know almost every woman here gets induced/schedules their section as soon as they hit 37 weeks, but I'm not! Why is reaching your due date considered post dates nowadays???

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#20 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMama01 View Post
I'm starting to wish I'd lied about my due date, especially at work, in case I go later than my EDD.
I unequivocally decided on Saturday that I will never, ever again let anyone know my true due date outside of my birth team who will know what EXPECTED means and act accordingly. And sheesh, those people have at least a stake in when I give birth - they have to be there after all.

I keep reminding everyone that the average first-time mom has her baby at 41 1/2 weeks when not induced. Everyone is so shocked. Seriously, I'm lying if I ever have another LO.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#21 of 24 Old 11-16-2009, 11:22 PM

ladies I hear you about the due dates thing. I am never...if there is another time....let ANYONE know my "due date". It's the same thing here with induction at 37-39 weeks so no one gets to 40 weeks. Also it didn't help my first 2 kids were early and figured, 3rd baby of course she will be early too! That's my own fault. Quote from MIL today. "Well what are they going to do with you?" I said back " who is they? and they aren't doing anything TO me".
#22 of 24 Old 11-17-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayrigah View Post
I was due Friday the 13th, and just avoided a cervical exam today. I do not do vaginal exams well due to being a survivor and having had a forced vaginal examination ( held down by attendants and forcible examined) at age 16 in Las Vegas. My provider is a midwife centered provider here and awesome. Nonetheless, they say My induce date is the 25th ( although I can go til the 27th in actuality;they said they'd do it then because of Thanksgiving !!!!!), but on Friday -this Friday-I get the non stress test ,and they talked about sweeping my membranes.

I am afraid I'll really freak out during the membrane sweeping. Is it painful?
Have you tried other ways to naturally induce labor? Like taking evening primerose oil, eating spicey food, nipple stimulation, sex?

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#23 of 24 Old 11-17-2009, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

just met with my MW again tonight. We're 41wk1day. So if we're still pregnant at 42 weeks (Sunday) then we will try castor oil. But actually MW is so supportive. As she reminded me, it really is so NORMAL to go past 40 weeks. It's just that in this day and age, with the medicalized version of birth, it seems women are all ready at 37-38 weeks to have babies out. And the majority of those women are with doctors who are happy to induce them before 40 weeks. But of course, babies born early have more problems. I always knew in my heart that they come when they're ready, and the longer they "bake" the better. It just seems like everyone in this DDC is having their babies... so it's nice to have a thread of all of us mamas still holding on, past our EDD. Thanks for all the support! You guys are great.

#24 of 24 Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 AM

DDC crashing here. I just had to chime in. DD was born at 42 weeks 3 days. Labor started on it's own 2 days prior. The end is so hard! I had super relaxed days and hysterical days. Take the phone off the hook if people are bugging you. I tried every tip and trick to get my labor started, but nothing worked. The one plus to my "post dates" baby was that she was seemed to skip the newborn stage. She was average size (almost 8 lbs) but just had this alertness/awakeness/not so fragile/ready to nurse like a champ personality that I think made those early days a tad easier. She has also been uber independent since birth so just a heads up!
Hang in there. Your babies will be here soon!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page