Mothering Forum banner

Baby Henry's arrival!

678 views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Juliacat 
#1 ·
Henry Dallas arrived at 12:40 am on Monday the 16th. He weighed 6 lbs 10 oz and was 20 1/2 in. long.
Labor was wonderful! I had hoped and prayed all pregnancy to labor like I did with DD and push like I did with DS, and I did! It was the best of everything. I woke up Sunday morning with fairly strong contractions that were about 10 min apart. After a few hours of that I called the MW and gave her a heads up. But then after my older two woke up the contractions got farther and farther between. I started to feel discouraged and decided to nap and then they got closer and stronger again. So I realized I needed to be without my older two for a while. After my mom picked them up for the afternoon around 4 they became consistent again. By about 8 they were strong enough that I had to stop and breathe and vocalize somewhat through them. I was very surprised at how strong they were becoming since they were still no closer than 7 min. apart. And in between I felt great, I talked and joked with my husband and had a nice evening. I knew I should probably call the MW though because they were so strong and had been consistent for so long and she is an hour away. The assistant and my doula arrived about ten and they were so strong but very far apart still. The assistant told the MW that I was in labor but probably not "active" labor yet. Still she came and arrived around 11 to check me. She was pleased with my progress. 70% effaced and 3 cm. and head engaged. She said with it being my third she expected it to go fast once the contractions got closer and so she started getting things ready. Well after that things really picked up. Soon I felt a change in contractions and started shaking like I was in transition. In my body I knew it must be close but I was so convinced that I had a ways to go that I wouldn't let myself believe it. All I wanted was to get in the birth pool but my MW wanted to check me one more time first. No change. But I was certain things were different, I knew I felt something different. So she said to go ahead with the water. I got in and had three really strong contractions. I was on my knees and wanted to move but didn't know how to at that point. My mom heard me saying that I couldn't do it anymore and came right in knowing that is what I say minutes before I deliver. I told my MW that I had to put pressure against the contractions and she said to do what my body told me to do and then at that instant I screamed "I'm pushing" She asked me to move because she couldn't catch with the way I was sitting and I told her there was no way his head was coming out. I was screaming like I never have before during labor and thats all I could do. Someone said "let it out" and I certainly did. I screamed "get my kids" while I was pushing and someone ran to grab the older two. Then the head was out. The cord was around his neck and she couldn't get to it to unravel, but I couldn't stop pushing and then he was out and she was holding him up behind me. It was a whole 10 min. or so from the time she had told me no change, that I was at a three! I was trying to see him behind me and my three year old who was supposed to announce the gender came in so sleepy that we had to try and remind her what was going on. I moved him so she could see and saw for myself that we had another little boy
Moving to the bed was actually funny as my MW was trying to hand the baby under my legs to my husband so that he could lay on my stomach. And the best part was no hemorrhaging which happened with DD! And no stitches! Then we all sat around while he nursed and admired our new baby. My family all in the bed together, and all of my extended family surrounding. It was a beautiful time. I am just so pleased on how it all turned out. I couldn't have asked for a better birth.

See less See more
#5 ·
Sounds like a great birth. It is just mind blowing to me to go from 3 to pushing so quick! Just goes to show how worthless checks can be! Congrats!

#9 ·
I love the name you chose; Henry was one I liked for a boy's name...we are havin' a girl, but boys are so fun! Enjoy yours

Congrats!!

#11 ·
Great story! Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy!!

I especially loved this line:

Quote:
It was a whole 10 min. or so from the time she had told me no change, that I was at a three!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.