12 hours of regular contractions, no progress? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm on hour 12 of contractions every 8-12 minutes. This is better than yesterday when it was just seemingly random, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I mean the contractions aren't getting closer together.

I read that I could be doing this for another 12 hours (or longer)...oy vey. Slow and steady is great and all....buuuuut......

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#2 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Crashing from August...

Sounds like prodromal labor. I had this with my DD...soooo frustrating! You may want to consider seeing a chiropractor and doing the exercises from spinning babies because at least in my DD's case, part of the problem was poor positioning. Adjusting baby's position may help them put even pressure on your cervix and get things moving!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 12:10 PM

Where are you feeling the cx? When you walk around can you still feel them? Are they worse sitting down?

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#4 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I'm feeling them in my back and lower abdomen, but they're pretty intense now, like stop everything and ride it out kind of intense. They seem worse when I'm laying down (I've been trying to get some sleep...you know...in 8-12 minute mini-naps )

The thing is, they seemed to have slowed down. Or maybe they just seem further apart now that I refuse to time them/look at a clock

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#5 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM

I painful back and lower abdomen contractions the night before last and I spent about 10 minutes in polar bear position (on my knees with my rear end in the air and my head lower, onto the floor). When I laid down afterward the baby squirmed around into a better position and the contractions just became regular (though strong) painless contractions.

Your contractions may be a lot closer to active labor than mine were, but the polar bear position is recommended for active labor too to get a baby to turn from a posterior position so that you don't end up with back labor.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#6 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM

I had that sorta labor for a day and a half before 'real' labor kicked in. It did do something though- it effaced my cervix and dilated me 1cm.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#7 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

A day and a half, eh? Wow, that sounds like *fun.* I hope that's what happens to me (not!)

Going to do the polar bear....

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#8 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 04:38 PM

hope it does progress to something. sounds sort of similar to what happened to me at least. i went from 3AM-8:00/9:00PM something like that with brutal contractions that had me in a hot shower as much as possible. laying down made them intensify and the dining room chair/toilet were the only 2 places i found comfort. i quit timing them because they were not having any pattern, but i was pacing back and forth throughout the house contracting spontaneously for a few hours.

exciting though, hope it progresses!

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
#9 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
I had that sorta labor for a day and a half before 'real' labor kicked in. It did do something though- it effaced my cervix and dilated me 1cm.
Di-tto.

I have told my DH that I am not going to call my contractions "by name" for this labor! I admit I let it drive me crazy for my ds #3's labor and birth, and I choose not to this time.

It frustrates me to have to differentiate when a contraction, or set of them, goes from being "Braxton Hicks" to "prodromal" to "early labor" to "active labor". I just bristle at the thought that some contractions are "more productive" than others. They are all different, but all working toward the same end, and all just as necessary. A pregnant woman's body is not a textbook; it's an organic, changing, sentient, capable marvel, just as is the baby she has grown and is carrying.

All those contractions are all doing just what the body and baby need to have done, they are preparing the body to go into active labor...lots of softening and effacing and dilation until the "real thing" kicks in.

When they are coming so close together and lasting and I start spacing out and getting focused or panicky, then I know it's "for real"! Before then, I move about, welcome the sensations, find something to change what I am feeling if that is what needs to happen (drinking more often, eating smaller amounts more often, getting more rest, trying a different position, walking, hugs and affection) or just letting it "be" and going with the flow.

I propose a change of perspective: instead of demanding to know how long this stage will last, what will come next, or worry if your body knows what it's doing, give in to the rhythm your body has chosen and ride the waves!

Consider this time a gift, in preparation for the moment when you will have to "give in" even more for those tougher contractions and the moment of pushing/crowning and birth.

We are only along for the ride and only have so much "control" over what our bodies are doing, anyway. A laboring woman's body knows what it's doing, even if the mind, or some doctor, or a book, cannot pinpoint it.

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#10 of 16 Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I think the key to giving in is to cover or unplug all the clocks. It's the only way to get out with your sanity intact.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#11 of 16 Old 11-25-2009, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we're on hour 72 now...of non-stop, but irregular (3-18 per hour) and painful contractions.

I'm holding on here, trying to keep it together, but scared if I don't get some real sleep soon, I'm not going to make it.

We're trying castor oil, but if it doesn't work, I don't know how much more I can stand. Have any other BTDT moms been through this with their labors? What did you do? How did it end?

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#12 of 16 Old 11-25-2009, 11:58 PM

How about walking around? That may help either speed things up or slow them down/stop. Also, for me, anything related to being in the water (showers, baths) helps me so much.

I would use this time to focus on what is happening. Allow the cx to come-- welcome them. Think about your breathing and find what works for you. Visualize the baby descending. As I've posted before, I truly find it to be a sacred experience, thinking of my baby making the journey to a new life. A mama here posted about pushing into the cx, and that really helped me as well.

I hope you get rest, mama!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#13 of 16 Old 11-26-2009, 02:46 AM

s mama. I hope things change for you soon.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#14 of 16 Old 11-26-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Something did change!

My contractions slowed down and I got some sleep. I think it's better this way, because sure, I'd love to have my LO in my arms right now, but after some good sleep and respite from the contractions, I'm now ready to face round 2 refreshed and invigorated instead of defeated and exhausted.

You know what's funny though? I took the castor oil. Yep, I'm the lady who drank 4 oz. of castor oil only to have her contractions slow to a crawl. I did get diarrhea though, so yeah, that's always nice

Anyway, feeling a lot better today and whether this baby comes tonight or next week, I feel equipped, you know?

Because honestly, if I had had another crappy night, I might be waving the white flag right now and heading to the hospital.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#15 of 16 Old 11-26-2009, 06:22 PM

Hang in there! SO glad to hear you got some rest.

I have been having those 8 minutes apart contractions, too. Lost a huge chunk of mucus plug today...I am wondering if my labor is coming in separate stages, sort of. Like this is actually prelabor, and then it stops after X hours, takes a break, and then the active labor will kick in soon. Kind of interesting to think about (when it's not driving me slightly insane ).

I bet we'll be holding our babies soon! (How about before the weekend?)
--hoping to get a few bites of turkey in today

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#16 of 16 Old 11-26-2009, 07:33 PM

DDC Crashing.

Hang in there. I usually have weeks or months of that before active labor starts. Starting last Saturday I've been having contractions every 2-5 minutes for 1-2 minutes at a time for several hours every day. Although I figure I still have another week or two before baby comes. I know it can be frustrating. On the good side, when active labor has started for me, things went fast.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page