Holy S#it Ladies....Wish Me Luck....(12/16 PICS NOW ADDED) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I can't believe it, but I think I am actually officially starting early labor!

I had cramps last night, which was new-- and this morning I was losing bits of my plug....but since I had a membrane sweep yesterday morning at my MW appt., I thought it was just from that (I also lost my plug on 11/27 when I had my first internal exam).

However, today I was feeling a bit different (probably from the lack of sleep from the cramps last night....lolol)....

Around 9:30 tonight I passed a huge glob of pink/red show (sorry if TMI) and within about 5 minutes started having my first PAINFUL contrax ever--- and I am SO not complaining about the pain-- I was thrilled!!!! Now I have been having them off and on for about 30-40 seconds since that time. Nothing consistant, some within a few minutes of each other-- some 20 or 30 minutes apart.

I know this stage can stretch for a long-ass time (especially since its my first), so I am going to go to bed for now...but I just thought that I would give ya'll an update!

It would be great to not have to go to my BPP test tomorrow morning at 11am, and to be able to call them and say..."I know that I am 41w and 5d, but I can't make the appt., because I am HAVING THIS BABY TODAY!!!!"

My hopes are up....for sure!

Baby to all- and good luck to all the mommas with buns still in the oven!

***Well mammas....it happened! When I posted last-- it really was the real thing!

I my contrax were pretty strong and progressed throughout the night. I tried to sleep through them, but that wasn't working out so well after about 2:30, even with a Tylenol PM. We started timing them at 6:30am, and they were pretty consistant at 4-5 minutes apart-- but we wanted to labor at home as long as possible so the MW told us we could wait another few hours. We got to the hospital around 10:15am (in a NJ snow storm...lolol)- and got settled into the birthing suite with the tub--which was wonderful because the place was full and there was a chance I might not get it.

I was checked at 11:30, and it looks like I arrived at 6cm dilated...so that made me happy. I was at 7 a few hours later--and I labored in the shower (but almost passed out, so had to get out...ekk), on the toilet (which surprised me), in the tub- and all over the place. My water broke at 2:45pm- and I was fully dilated with the dreaded "lip" right before 4...although my MW pulled it aside in a few pushes- which was a relief.

I pushed for 2 hours, and I am not going to lie-- it was brutal, and I feel pretty traumatized today when I think about it. I also got a episiotomy in the final minutes because his heart rate was crashing (and they had a NICU team on standby- I found out later), probably because he was stuck in the birth canal for a long time! I asked to tear- but since I wasn't tearing when they were stretching, out came the sciscors.

However, I accomplished my goal of having a completely medication free, IV/Hep lock free first time birth- and I am proud of that, and I can tell you that my DH was the reason behind it....he was amazing! Who knew he was a doula in disguise!!!!

20.5 hours after the start Evan Robert was born at 7lbs, 4oz, and 20 inches long. I can't stop starting at him and we are amazed every second. Although things got dicey at the end he still had 9/8 apgar.

I had used hypnobabies faithfully throughout the pregnancy, and I think it really helped me mentally prepare, although my birthing was in no way pain-free, nor was I able to stay in hypnosis after the first few hours. But I still used many of the tools, as did my DH, so I still think it was worth it.

Thanks for all the support. This board has been amazing for me.

For pics! :http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1481435275
#2 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 01:11 AM

Blessings and best Wishes to you Mama. Post pictures of the new LO!!

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#3 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 01:21 AM

good luck!

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#4 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 01:39 AM

Yay, exciting!!! You can do it!!

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#5 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 01:49 AM

eeeek! exciting!

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#6 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 AM

Happy birthing, mama!

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#7 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Good luck!!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#8 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Ooooohhh!!!!!! Good luck, I hope this is it for you!!!!!!

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

#9 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 01:15 PM

Wow, good luck. I'm jealous!
#10 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 03:23 PM

Oh good mama! I hope all goes smoothly!!
#11 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Best wishes to you!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#12 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 05:30 PM

yay happy birthing mama!

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#13 of 30 Old 12-09-2009, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
YES!! I'm so excited for you! Well, since you have not updated for a long time, I sure hope it means you are holding your little baby, or close to it. Good luck with everything!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#14 of 30 Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Hopefully my update went through on the first post.....it's not coming up for me!
#15 of 30 Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 PM

wonderful birth story! Glenn was going to be Evan for a while actually Evan Robert Robert is dh's name! I am so happy for you I kept checking to see if your baby arrived happy babymoon!!!

Quote:

#16 of 30 Old 12-10-2009, 10:37 PM

Congrats!!!!! Enjoy your babymoon!!!

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#17 of 30 Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 AM

I had an episiotomy for the same reason and no regrets--I trust my midwife that it was necessary (she said it was the 4th she's done in over 10 years). Hope your healing goes as well as mine has so far.

Keep an eye on/be kind to yourself about the traumatic last minutes of the birth. I have found that talking about it and acknowledging how scary it was for me has helped.

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#18 of 30 Old 12-11-2009, 11:43 AM

Congratulations!!

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#19 of 30 Old 12-11-2009, 12:18 PM

Wow, congratulations on your baby boy. What a beautiful name!
#20 of 30 Old 12-11-2009, 03:09 PM

AWESOME JOB!!! You did super! Two hours of pushing....wow, I'm humbled by your strength!

Perdita, wife to J, mom to Bridget (6), Ivy (4) Trace (2) and Fiona, my 3rd vbac baby, born 12/2/09!
#21 of 30 Old 12-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Congrats! :d

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#22 of 30 Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 PM
pjs

Congrats!
#23 of 30 Old 12-11-2009, 11:44 PM

CONGRATS!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!!! What a wonderful birth story!

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

#24 of 30 Old 12-13-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies-- I appreciate the feedback as well on talking about the trauma. I have been processing it with several people.

I don't regret anything, but the end was really traumatic and so scary with 2 solid hours of pushing and a team of people standing there at the end watching the whole thing (while I was on my back, which was the last place I thought I would actually birth him--- but they made me do it at the end....) in place to take the baby, or-- worse yet-- to drag me for a section at the last minute after everything.

Once he was out, everyone took off and his scores were wonderful and he was pink and perfect--- so in the moment, of course all the trauma went away. However, that night when I tried to sleep I started having serious nightmares. And of course, the nightmares got worse as time (and several days of no sleep, went on).

Today is the first day that I didn't have flashbacks when I closed my eyes to try to rest-- and I actually got about 6 hours of good sleep in the last 24 hours which was really good.

So, I am feeling hopeful- and plan to keep an "eye on myself" to watch for the trauma manifesting in other ways....I am hopeful that I am processing it now.

Baby to all-- and thank you all again so much.

I will post pics soon...
#25 of 30 Old 12-13-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:

#26 of 30 Old 12-13-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyleah View Post
Thank you ladies-- I appreciate the feedback as well on talking about the trauma. I have been processing it with several people.

I don't regret anything, but the end was really traumatic and so scary with 2 solid hours of pushing and a team of people standing there at the end watching the whole thing (while I was on my back, which was the last place I thought I would actually birth him--- but they made me do it at the end....) in place to take the baby, or-- worse yet-- to drag me for a section at the last minute after everything.

Once he was out, everyone took off and his scores were wonderful and he was pink and perfect--- so in the moment, of course all the trauma went away. However, that night when I tried to sleep I started having serious nightmares. And of course, the nightmares got worse as time (and several days of no sleep, went on).

Today is the first day that I didn't have flashbacks when I closed my eyes to try to rest-- and I actually got about 6 hours of good sleep in the last 24 hours which was really good.

So, I am feeling hopeful- and plan to keep an "eye on myself" to watch for the trauma manifesting in other ways....I am hopeful that I am processing it now.

Baby to all-- and thank you all again so much.

I will post pics soon...
I know exactly what you are talking about with nightmare flashbacks.I suffered symptoms like you mentioned after the birth of my first child. The birth looked "fine" to everyone else but it was traumatic at the end, with everyone staring at me on my back, then feeling abandoned and then fainting from loss of blood and getting up too quickly. This article helped me back when I was starting to process, maybe it could be of use to you. <link>

It gets better with time (little bits at a time), and good for you for being aware of your needs--don't be afraid to talk about this all you need to with people you can trust, journal about it, etc. It can take time to process and just when you think you are past, it can come back up again.

It can be very hard, esp. when as a new mom you *need* the sleep and to be able to focus on your newborn. When you feel able to get out and around, check around for a local support group for new moms, LLL or maybe a group through the hospital, to give you that "safe" and understanding place to grow into motherhood with, esp. with having the traumatic birth experience. It helped me soooo much and I know so many other moms this was a lifesaver for, as well. It makes a huge difference to be with and heard by other mothers IRL who have btdt and understand without judging.
Take care

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#27 of 30 Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Greenthumb- thank you so much for the article, and the support. I really appreciate it. I will keep reaching out.....as my emotions are really still raw and I am really struggling. I know that I should wait 2 weeks before calling this PPD-- so I am trying to relax. I think its more a problem for the lack of sleep.

I don't have any feelings of suicide, or harming my baby, or lack of interest in him or anything like that....

I just have feelings of being overwhelmed with doing the right thing for him, upset over dealing with bloody raw nipples (met with an LC yesterday though), feeling like crying at random intervals during the day......etc.

But, I am doing the best I can with what I have-- so that is all I can do I guess....

to all!
#28 of 30 Old 12-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know what you mean about pushing. I pushed for less time, but I distinctly remember thinking that "there is no way we are having anymore kids".

But my hat is off to you, you really persevered and did it med free! You should be incredibly proud of yourself. congrats!!!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#29 of 30 Old 12-19-2009, 11:34 PM

Congratulations - you did great!
#30 of 30 Old 12-20-2009, 01:56 PM

Wow, your baby is just gorgeous. Really pretty baby!! Congratulations and good work!

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page