The arrival of Rassa June - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 12-23-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Tattooed Hand's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Ladies,

I was originally due on 11/29, so I've been frequenting both Nov and Dec due date clubs, even though I knew first babies cook longer in my family. i was very lucky to be under the care of 2 great CPMs who did not even pressure me to try natural induction methods until 42 weeks. The only thing I did after 40 weeks was up the DTD and drink even more RRL tea. I uncomfortable, but not unreasonably so and was doing lots of yoga throughout the day and taking a 30-45 minute walk everyday to ease my discomforts. And I was very reluctant to try any other form of even natural induction. I was due on 12/10 for a NST, when I would be 41 wks and 4 days.

I woke up 12/9 at 2:30 AM to pee and had a bloody glob when I wiped (the TMI does not stop here). Within a half hour of lying back down I was having crampy period contractions that didn't go away that I wasn't going to sleep through. And they were less than 10 minutes apart. I still wasn't convinced this was the real thing, but I woke up my husband at 3:30. I got up and took a hot shower and around 4 DH began cleaning and prep in the kitchen (where we were going to set up the birth pool). The contractions began to get closer together and strong, different from the crampy stuff. By 6 am I wasn't able to really talk through them and they were about 5 minutes apart and close to a minute. I also seriously cleaned out my bowls to the point that my rear end was sore from wiping. At 7am we called the midwives, who, as luck would have it, were at another birth, which had begun an hour before mine. Luckily hers was going fast too...

I was wandering around the house, listening to birth affirmations and leaning against walls and into chairs, swaying through the ctx. I took a second shower, which felt like heaven, and that really seemed to speed things up. Around 8am I began moaning through them and asked DH to get the pool ready (took almost 2 hours). I didn't know if I was jumping the gun because it's our first time, but things seemed to be moving along pretty quick and I could almost feel my cervix opening (I was visualizing it too, trying to relax that area during ctx). The midwives, with whom we checked in about once every 45 minutes to an hour, weren't certain I was moving along so fast, but by 8am I was in my bedroom leaning against the wall on the floor (our bed is on the floor too, but it was too hard to lie down and rest and then scramble up in time for a ctx) in between ctx and swaying on my hands and knees moaning through them, not wanting to talk at all.

By around 10:30 I got in the pool, which was not warm enough, but DH was frantically boiling water in our big pots, waiting for the water heater to recover. But it was good enough. It really made the ctx, which had gotten much more intense, so much better and it made my body easier to relax. I must have been in transition at this point because I was thinking, "This is really hard, I don't want to do this anymore" and "We are so not having any more kids." But I didn't actually say anything from 8-2, beyond grunting, monosyllabic demands and hand waving. I was making noises like I was having really loud, really good sex. But DH and I were still alone and didn't know how far along I was and one of the midwives was on the way from the other birth. It was snowing and generally very bad weather outside so the drive was long.

At about 11:15 I had a ctx that ended in an involuntary push and we were still alone. I got a little concerned that we two first timers were alone and how the hell did things go so fast! 15 minutes later one of our midwives came and called a back up (the other one had stayed to finish up at the other birth). I was not aware of anything going on around me at this point. The ctx were pretty intense and I was totally inwardly focused, clutching DH's hand in a death grip and hanging over the side of the pool in between, which didn't seem that long (2-3 minutes). I wasn't actively pushing at this point, just letting my body push as it wanted and breathing the baby down. At some point something felt like it came out of my ass. I was vaguely mortified that it was poo, but DH said it was membranes (and maybe a little poo...though I definitely had bigger problems at that point). The whole labor I could feel the baby's feet pushing against my upper and then mid-belly, like she was helping me by trying to push her own way out.

The midwives monitored the baby while I was pushing and she was doing fine. I had lost all sense of time at this point. I didn't begin actively pushing until about 12:45, at which point my water broke with a loud pop that kind of scared me and made me clench up. Then pushing began to get much more serious. The hot sex sounds stopped and I began making throaty screams and gutteral noises through the ctx, which would start with two or three pretty intense pushes and then mellow out a bit. That beginning two or three involuntary pushes were when I added my own active efforts. She was born at 2pm, after about 1 hour and 45 minutes of active pushing. I felt her head come out in increments and then I gave one good heave and she shot out into the water like a cannon ball.

The midwives grabbed her and put her on my chest, but I couldn't bring her up very far because the cord was pretty short. Because of this, getting some mucus in her mouth suctioned out and because the water had cooled off a bit, she got cold and pissed. She cried for a good 30 minutes and was too angry to nurse. I had gotten out of the water at this point (which was not easy with such such a short cord) and was reclined on some pillows and blankets on my kitchen floor. I gave her to DH to do some skin to skin and calm down while I delivered the placenta. He did managed to calm her down but after a couple of hours I was worried because she hadn't nurse yet and was only calm while dozing. She screamed through the whole newborn exam and was too upset to nurse until like 6pm. I was really shaky and all this was pretty overwhelming. I also had to get stitched up with just some topical lydocane. It was only 2 stitches, but it was at the top and I was already swollen and somewhat bruised. It really hurt. And the baby was screaming and didn't want to nurse.

Anyway, she did nurse, not very well though. Then the midwives left and the baby was still really cranky. If we moved her she screamed. But around 1am, she farted, pooed and barfed up what looked like the rest of that mucus that was in her mouth at birth and calmed down immediately. Since then she's been sleeping 2-3 hours and then nursing, though I think we still need to work on her latch. I think it's just a matter of time since the difficult is that she is so small and my boob is so big. UPDATE: We are doing great with breastfeeding and she is putting on weight like a champ (at three days she had lost only 4 oz and 4 days later she had put back 6 oz).

Rassa June, 6lbs, 2 ozs.

We are all at home and resting with baby!

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Tattooed Hand is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 5 Old 12-23-2009, 10:17 PM
ExuberantDaffodil's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The groin of the USA.
Posts: 5,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wonderful to read your story! Congratulations on your girl!

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
ExuberantDaffodil is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Sleepyheaded_Mama's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: my own little world
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awww congrats mama!!!

Sleepyheaded_Mama is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 12-24-2009, 07:09 PM
greenthumb3's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to baby Rassa.

Reading your daughter's birth story made me feel like I was there, back in labor and birth mode. Congrats on a job well done! Welcome to the club

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.

greenthumb3 is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 12-25-2009, 07:39 PM
SunShineSally's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the land of NO punctuation.!,?':
Posts: 2,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
congratulations mama wonderful birth story!

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif




SunShineSally is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 16,743

31 members and 16,712 guests
a-sorta-fairytale , alleycatsunflwr , BirthFree , blessedwithboys , Deborah , Dovenoir , emmy526 , Erica Sandwall , girlspn , JElaineB , katelove , lhargrave89 , lisak1234 , Lolita2345 , Lucee , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , MylittleTiger , NaturallyKait , Nazsmum , philomom , RollerCoasterMama , shantimama , Skippy918 , Springshowers , sren , transylvania_mom , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.