Join Date: Sep 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mariacm
One thing we are thinking about is getting DTaP boosters for me and DH, per ped's recommendation, to lessen the chances of baby getting pertussis. (Ped was not concerned about polio or hepB, but was about pertussis, Hib, and pneumococcal). However, I need to look into that before deciding... *Did anyone else do something like this??
DH got his Tdap booster before DS was born (they have them at the Walgreen's clinics) and I got mine when he was about 3 weeks old. My parents got boosters as well. I know the childhood vaccination immunity wears off--I got whooping cough in college.
I'm selectively/delayed vaxing and have a similar thought process about newborns as your ped, sounds like. DS got DTaP and HIB at his 2 month visit and will get the Prevnar at a shot only 3 month visit. I would have given him the DTaP/HIB/Polio combo Pentacel to reduce the number of sticks, but the Ped's office was out and he got the two separate sticks and I skipped the polio because it's low on my priority list. He also got the Rotateq at the 2 month visit but I was really on the fence about it and had decided to do it (since you can only get the 3 dose series if you start at 8 weeks) but to discontinue if he had any ill effects but he did not.
It's really really hard to decide. I have found the Sears Vaccine book helpful, but I just hate the whole "rolling the dice with my baby's health" feeling that making these decisions gives me.
Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.