Mothering Forum banner

The 2 month vaccine decision

4K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  billikengirl 
#1 ·
Just wondering if mom's are putting any thought into or have strong opinions on the vaccine issue. We are holding off and picking just a few to do while he is under 5. Seems the middle road is wise for us. Just wondering what you all are doing.

#2 ·
We are not vaxing at all. Suprisingly, our ped is ok with this, just keeps giving us info on vaccines and how great they are - (I need an eye-rolling smiley) We really like the doc and the practice otherwise, so we take the articles, but still no vaccines.

- Katrina

#3 ·
Pre-emptive

Just kidding.
We're planning on doing the full vaccine schedule, with the first Hep B vaccine at this appointment, since we delayed it at the hospital. DH and I had many conversations about this, and feel this is the best decision for our family.

I totally respect other mamas who decide to not vax/delay or selective vax - even though I had a full course, my mom stopped vaxing with my younger siblings.

If anyone is still struggling with their decision, I would highly recommend Dr. Sears' Vaccine Book - lots of good info on each vaccine (both pro and con, all the reported side effects, and controversies if applicable), along with delayed, selective, and alternative schedules. It helped me understand what each vaccine was and how it was made, etc.

#4 ·
My strong opinion is that the benefits of providing all vaccines outweigh the risks of them for a healthy child. Since my child is healthy at this time, I'm providing all vaccines to him. Your needs may differ!

#5 ·
We're not vaxing at all. We researched to the hilt with our DD and made the decision after months of reading and talking. It was a really hard decision, but we feel very confident in it now.

I totally feel that you need to do whatever works for your family.

#7 ·
I had really wanted to do an alternative schedule this time (my son is vaxed on schedule), but the ped we use is not open to anything other than the normal vax schedule, which is disappointing to me, but I've done my research and had decided to vax anyway. I was just hoping to follow the Sears schedule.

#11 ·
Very delayed and very selective here too. Unfortunately she did get the 1st Hep B shot at the hospital because I was induced early due to complications and I didn't have my ducks in a row yet, but that will be the only one for a few years at the least. And then I will only get the ones she must have for school.

#12 ·
It seems to me to be such a personal choice, and after reading your posts it seems everyone is coming up with quite different choices. We are definitely delaying the vaccines as I am much more afraid of autism than chickpox, just not sure till when. I am thinking 2years old as that is when I plan to breast feed until and that is when the blood brain barrier seems to be less vulnerable to neurotoxins. Thanks for sharing.
I have done quite a bit of research and one thing I can't find are personal stories of people who delayed vaccines or gave non at all and regretted it because their child got debilitating polio or what not. Any insight? Thxs ladies I hope you are enjoying your little ones, mine is sleeping...

#13 ·
Ugh...this is the hardest decision in parenting babies in my opinion. Not to mention the source of many sleepless nights for me.

I had DD fully vaccinated. It was 15 years ago and I didn't even question for a second.

With DS1, I spent so much time and energy focused on the pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding that I sort of let the vaccine thing become an afterthought during the first year of his life. He had all of the vaccines on the schedule and on time for the first 12 months. Then I started doing more research and decided that I wanted to space out the remainder of the shots and skip the mmr and chickenpox altogether. We moved at this point and had to get a new ped for his 18 month checkup. I declined all vaxes at that visit.
She was fine with slowing down the pace, but then DH lost his job, we had no insurance, so we just never went back and got any more shots.

This time around DH had done his own research and he and I were in agreement that we'd do a selective schedule based on the risk/benefits we felt most comfortable with.

Then I had a uterine rupture during labor and suddenly I lost the ability to take comfort in ANY statistic or odds. I was/am 100% convinced that if we don't vax, he'll contract a vaccine-preventable disease and die. I'm also 100% convinced that if we do vax, he'll sustain a severe vaccine injury and die or be damaged for life.

The night before his 2month check-up I was a wreck. DH and I had decided that he'd get the dtap and hib only. I was still nervous, thinking it was too soon, but also knew that I was dealing with some ptsd, so relied on DH to be my compass.

So he got the dtap and hib and I immediately had a panic attack and felt regret. For the next week he was a different baby. He cried all the time. Stopped sleeping. Went from being happy and content to constantly miserable. I was sure I had damaged him for good and I cried right along with him and just kept apologizing. Then his regular personality came back and he's been back to himself since.

DH and I just decided that we need to hit "pause" and wait til I get a better grip on myself before we make any more vax decisions. I just feel frozen in my tracks and literally don't know what to do. So we're going with the "Doubt means Don't" theory until we get some sign from the universe or at the very least some clarity. How I wish for the bliss of ignorance I had with DD. I wish I didn't know anything about vaccines or their risks or benefits. No matter how much I read I am STILL unsure. I hate this feeling. *sigh*

#14 ·
We are doing a Dr Sears type seletive/delayed. We visit Africa yearly and so the risk of transmission is very real to us.

#15 ·
We were going to do a delayed vax schedule but dd#1 got vax's at her 2yr check up and 4-5 hours later she turned blue and was gasping for air. She started breathing again but was shaking for about 5 minutes after it seemed like forever. Dh had given her claritin about 20-30 min prior. It was so scary so now I am a little leary to ever get a vax for my kids again. I vax ds until the MMR-varicila vax he hasn't got that.

#16 ·
Another delay and very selected vaccer here

So far we haven't done anything. If we would have to use daycare and I couldn't fully breastfeeding we would have done the hib. But until then we won't be doing anything until later. Tetanus is important to us as well, but that won't be necessary until later, as he is not surrounded by risk factors.

#17 ·
I'm doing delayed/selective. DD has been dealing with allergy issues so none until those are resolved, until she's at least a year old, if not 2. Maybe when she begins daycare, which will probably be 1yr and 9 mos. Then we will do DTaP, Polio, HIB, and maybe MMR spaced out from each other. Maybe way later we'll do Hep B. We travel to the middle east, South and Southeast Asia, so that's a concern.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamieCole View Post
Ugh...this is the hardest decision in parenting babies in my opinion. Not to mention the source of many sleepless nights for me.

I had DD fully vaccinated. It was 15 years ago and I didn't even question for a second.

With DS1, I spent so much time and energy focused on the pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding that I sort of let the vaccine thing become an afterthought during the first year of his life. He had all of the vaccines on the schedule and on time for the first 12 months. Then I started doing more research and decided that I wanted to space out the remainder of the shots and skip the mmr and chickenpox altogether. We moved at this point and had to get a new ped for his 18 month checkup. I declined all vaxes at that visit.
She was fine with slowing down the pace, but then DH lost his job, we had no insurance, so we just never went back and got any more shots.

This time around DH had done his own research and he and I were in agreement that we'd do a selective schedule based on the risk/benefits we felt most comfortable with.

Then I had a uterine rupture during labor and suddenly I lost the ability to take comfort in ANY statistic or odds. I was/am 100% convinced that if we don't vax, he'll contract a vaccine-preventable disease and die. I'm also 100% convinced that if we do vax, he'll sustain a severe vaccine injury and die or be damaged for life.

The night before his 2month check-up I was a wreck. DH and I had decided that he'd get the dtap and hib only. I was still nervous, thinking it was too soon, but also knew that I was dealing with some ptsd, so relied on DH to be my compass.

So he got the dtap and hib and I immediately had a panic attack and felt regret. For the next week he was a different baby. He cried all the time. Stopped sleeping. Went from being happy and content to constantly miserable. I was sure I had damaged him for good and I cried right along with him and just kept apologizing. Then his regular personality came back and he's been back to himself since.

DH and I just decided that we need to hit "pause" and wait til I get a better grip on myself before we make any more vax decisions. I just feel frozen in my tracks and literally don't know what to do. So we're going with the "Doubt means Don't" theory until we get some sign from the universe or at the very least some clarity. How I wish for the bliss of ignorance I had with DD. I wish I didn't know anything about vaccines or their risks or benefits. No matter how much I read I am STILL unsure. I hate this feeling. *sigh*
Every. Single. Word.
Except my PTSD is still lingering six years later. AND I have analysis paralysis. And a major insurance SNAFU. So for now, no vaxing for baby Brenan. I like that "Doubt means Don't".

#19 ·
We actually have our 2 month well-baby visit today and so far she's had nothing. I am going to talk to ped about delaying the vax. Honestly, I don't want even the temporary side-affects to mess with my sweet little babe. I don't think I could handle it emotionally. We're just getting to a "good" place with our lives and I don't want to throw a wrench in it.

He's willing to talk and has been fine with me delaying and skipping vaxes before so I don't think it will be a problem. The hardest part is now the first vax they want to give is a 5-in-1....so much at once.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCMama01 View Post
What do you do about daycare? I ask because that's the situation I'm in. I go back to work in March and want to delay vaxing the first year, but don't feel like I have options since I don't SAH.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought about how that might inform a person's decision re: vaxxing.

#23 ·
Officially we are delaying/selectively vaxing. Unofficially... I don't plan to inject anything into DS. I'm just waiting for DH to come around and decide that not vaxing is really his idea.

DD (age 3.5) was vaccinated on schedule through her 2 year well baby exam, and I wish I hadn't done it. I don't plan to continue her vaccines at her 4 year well child exam.

I am in Texas, and we have a lose philosophical exemption available here, so that's what we're doing for preschool. I've already checked with the director at her current school, since it's a private school, and they are fine with the state's exemption form.

It was only AFTER we decided not to have DS vaxed that my mom said, "Oh, yeah, you and your sister both had bad reactions to DTP."
Gee mom, that would have been nice to know three years ago when we let our daughter's pediatrician pump her full of chemicals. Our current pediatrician, btw, is totally fine with us not vaccinating.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExuberantDaffodil View Post
I'd love to know where you all find these pediatricians who are fine with delayed/selective/no vax!
via a suggestion on the tribal board for my area on MDC

#26 ·
Maddy already had her 2 month vaccines and no issues. After her being in the hospital in NICU, I am taking no chances with her. My larger concern was the selective RSV shot...I had never even heard of RSV but after researching it and finding out what can happen to babies like mine who are at risk because of her lung issues/intubation at birth - I feel 100% good about my choice. I didn't realize that what appears as a common cold for us could be so deadly to infants and since DH and I both teach, I know I would bring it home sooner or later...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.