Vitamins? - Mothering Forums
December 2009 > Vitamins?
Iamhappy2BAmom's Avatar Iamhappy2BAmom 07:32 PM 06-01-2009
Considering the new studies of lead and vitamins. Which prenatals are you taking? If you are not taking any- how are you making sure to compensate.

WaitingForKiddos's Avatar WaitingForKiddos 07:38 PM 06-01-2009
I was really, really good about taking my One A Day brand prenatal and DHA capsules. Then, at about 11 weeks, crazy morning sickness came and I now puke at just thinking of swallowing them. I bought a bottle of kids gummy vitamins and take 8 of them to get up to 800 of folic acid.

MW said not to worry and just take the real ones when I can.

My diet consists of anything I know I *might* not throw up. Mashed potatoes, sushi, mac and cheese, bread, sour candies, and juice. Oh, I did eat a tv dinner with meatloaf...for protein and all.
joy2grow's Avatar joy2grow 07:56 PM 06-01-2009
I just stick to a brand I trust - Twin Lab. I am doing my best to eat well, but feel better with the 'insurance' of extra nutrition from supplements.
Amarantha's Avatar Amarantha 11:28 PM 06-01-2009
I took the Vitamin World Prenatal Complex vitamins religiously until last week, when I gagged and threw up one of them, and the idea of having to swallow them again just made me want to retch. Since I'm feeling better now, hopefully I can start taking them again.
luv2mama's Avatar luv2mama 01:02 AM 06-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForKiddos View Post
I was really, really good about taking my One A Day brand prenatal and DHA capsules. Then, at about 11 weeks, crazy morning sickness came and I now puke at just thinking of swallowing them.
I've had that problem in the past too, but I have found some that don't make me hoark, and a brand that I trust: Rainbow Light. I have heard the same from others that they are really easy on the stomach.
GAmomto5's Avatar GAmomto5 11:23 AM 06-02-2009
I take the Rainbow Light Complete Prenatal (6 a day), but have only been able to choke down 2 a day so far. I eat well though so I'm not too worried about not being able to take all 6.
Brisen's Avatar Brisen 11:27 AM 06-02-2009
I haven't heard about lead in vitamins; anyone got a link to some good info?

I don't take a prenatal; I mostly focus on supplementing the things I really know I need. I don't really pay attention to the brand, though.
guestmama9916's Avatar guestmama9916 12:35 PM 06-02-2009
No prenatals here either but I do take Blue Ice Gold cod liver oil when I'm not too sick to swallow a pill anymore. I swear by it. I feel so much better when I take it. It helps me sleep and I feel so much more energetic plus the natural vits A and D and DHA are great for growing babies. I've been taking it again for a few days now after not being able to tolerate it for the past 8 weeks and boy I feel so much better. I do have some other supplements but I don't take them religiously - cal/mag and kelp (for iodine) are two. I drink organic raw grass-fed cow's milk which is a great source of vitamins and minerals so I don't feel like I'm really lacking in anything in my diet.
BeckiB's Avatar BeckiB 04:02 PM 06-02-2009
I take the Rainbow Light one a day prenatal. Since I continued to take them while nursing, I've been taking them about two and a half years now
Iamhappy2BAmom's Avatar Iamhappy2BAmom 07:04 PM 06-02-2009
I also take Rainbow light with a probiotic (maybe that's why it does not affect my stomach much). But I remember that on the list of vitamins and lead level it was mid level. Plus today my doctor says over 4000IU of Vitamin A could be toxic to the baby- and rainbow light has 6k. That's why I was thinking of switching. The list of vitamins and lead levels used to be on the FDA website and it seems that they have recently pulled it. I can't find that list anywhere else. Strange since it was up for over a year.

Here's a website that lists the top 10 at least.
http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...itamins-082803
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 07:37 PM 06-02-2009
I just take folic acid.
pixiemama's Avatar pixiemama 08:29 PM 06-02-2009
I haven't taken prenatals in a couple of weeks as they were making me sick. I'm going to try to start up again this week.
luv2mama's Avatar luv2mama 01:00 AM 06-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamhappy2BAmom View Post
I also take Rainbow light with a probiotic (maybe that's why it does not affect my stomach much). But I remember that on the list of vitamins and lead level it was mid level. Plus today my doctor says over 4000IU of Vitamin A could be toxic to the baby- and rainbow light has 6k. That's why I was thinking of switching. The list of vitamins and lead levels used to be on the FDA website and it seems that they have recently pulled it. I can't find that list anywhere else. Strange since it was up for over a year.

Here's a website that lists the top 10 at least.
http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...itamins-082803
I take Rainbow Light Once a Day and I just checked my bottle and it said 4k for Vitamin A. Lead content in any vitamin is really scary. Do you know what you'll switch to?
Tattooed Hand's Avatar Tattooed Hand 01:58 AM 06-03-2009
The regular one a day made me want to hurl, so around 8 weeks I switched to New Chapter Perfect Prenatal, which is 3 a day and made out of all natural stuff. I was able to take it on an empty stomach, which I can't even do with vitamins normally. I love them!
vagabonder's Avatar vagabonder 08:23 PM 06-03-2009
I have the 1x/day Rainbow Lights as well but had to stop taking them since they were making me so sick. I feel so much better when I don't take them...I figure my body is just telling me to stay away from them. I've been trying to decide what to supplement with instead as well.
nannymom's Avatar nannymom 08:27 PM 06-03-2009
I quit taking mine. I thought they were adding to my m/s. I am also in the camp of eating what ever won't make me puke
~Kristina~'s Avatar ~Kristina~ 11:12 PM 06-03-2009
I stopped taking mine around 8 weeks because they were making me sick. I tried taking one Sunday night and got sick. So I'm not taking any again.
WaitingForKiddos's Avatar WaitingForKiddos 02:11 AM 06-04-2009
OMG! I started taking the Rainbow Light once a day ones. Two days of 'em and I haven't puked!

Yay!
dmariev's Avatar dmariev 04:00 AM 06-04-2009
DDC crashing. I have been taking the Rainbow Light one a day vits since week 9, and they have been really easy on my tummy. I was concerned about the lead issue as well, but after some research I feel safe taking them. I am now almost 38 weeks and all looks good!

Here is a link to some of the info that halped me...
http://www.uberparents.com/lead-in-my-vitamins/

Congrats to all of you!
Take care!
Adasmommy's Avatar Adasmommy 07:04 PM 06-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Hand View Post
The regular one a day made me want to hurl, so around 8 weeks I switched to New Chapter Perfect Prenatal, which is 3 a day and made out of all natural stuff. I was able to take it on an empty stomach, which I can't even do with vitamins normally. I love them!
I'm very happy with the New Chapter also! Organic and whole foods!
Up