Any first-time preggos feel movement yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2009, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 17 1/2 wks with my first and am starting to get outrageously impatient!! I know all the books say it will probably not be for another 3 - 5 weeks before I feel kicks, but I'm just dying to feel something going on. Sometimes I think I feel some shifting and tugging and whatnot, but nothing yet that's been truly convincing - it's probably all just gas and stretching.

But I'm curious if any 1st timers have felt anything yet? I'm very jealous of all the repeat moms who are already feeling stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 04:33 PM

dont feel bad im 19weeks with my 3rd and rarely feel anything!

Jen loveing Wifey to my Hubby Jeremy Mommy to Austin David and KayLeigh marie
i love my life!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 05:09 PM

18.5 weeks with my first, and I've been feeling infrequent nudges for the last three weeks, although only three bumps that I was *sure* were kicks. This week I've suddenly been able to feel a lot more, although I've also spent some time lying down with my hand laid flat over the appropriate area, paying attention. That really helps me localize where the movements are, since sometimes I feel them higher up than they should be but then when I touch my tummy, I can feel they're coming from the top of my uterus (I hope!). Mine seems to be active in the late morning and late afternoon, so if I happen to lie down to rest during that time, I can often feel something. I also occasionally feel the shifting/squirming sort of feeling up in the front sometimes.

I still wasn't sure they were kicks until yesterday, when I could definitely feel where the baby was if I lay in a certain position and the kicks were coming often enough to be pretty sure. For me, it's still a weird combination of being intellectually puzzled as to whether or not it's really a kick and intuitively going "oh!" and knowing exactly what they are.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:55 PM

I'm 16w5d and only just feeling what I'm sure is the odd movement and this is my 2nd. I find the early movements are sort of like an air bubble popped inside your belly. Or it feels like a fish is fluttering. It's not as impressive as TV makes out. I remember after being pregnant seeing friends, Rachel was big and round and suddenly felt the first movement, oh quick she's kicking. At that size she'd be getting a little annoyed with the rattling off the pelvis.

Have you tried a cold drink? I think that's meant to make them move.

And don't worry the movements will be often enough to be annoying later, plenty of time for that yet.

Clare briefly mother for 3 weeks to Isabel 25-12-08, Soaking up every precious moment with my little guy Dec-10. My blog link is in my profile.

1********10**stork-suprise.gif ******20*********30*********40

Old 07-05-2009, 12:52 AM

I've been feeling flutters since week 14ish. Suddenly at 16.5 weeks I felt kicks. Now, at 18 weeks it's a big poke a few times a day that I can feel in any position.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

Old 07-05-2009, 02:25 PM

I'm 17 wks and 2 days pregnant with my first. I've been feeling bumps and kicks for a week or two now. Don't worry though, because it's different for every person.

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

Old 07-05-2009, 03:04 PM

I'm 17 weeks today with my first and haven't felt anything, as far as I know. Absolutely nothing! I'm excited to feel something, but also think it's going to be a bit weird, so I can't say I'm exactly looking forward to the first few kicks or punches. After it happens and I recognize the feeling, I think I'll love it!!!

Wife and mom of 18 month old babyboy.gif.  Expecting stork-girl.gifstork-girl.gif twin girls in August!
Old 07-06-2009, 06:58 AM

I'm 18 weeks along today. First pregnancy and I too am really eager for the "quickening" to start - I can't wait to feel it! I've also had some occasional quick tugging/pressure feelings, but so far I think it's just been gas.

My mother-in-law - every time I see her - keeps asking if I've felt the baby move yet. Every time, I tell her that many first-timers don't feel it until 22 weeks or so, and every time she tells me that she felt it at 14 weeks. I know she's just excited to be a grandma, but - not helpful. :

As you said, it could still be several weeks for us. In the mean time, we can both be waiting... impatiently!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know. I'm 19 weeks and I think I've felt stuff, but I can't be sure. It's hard to know because it could be the pulse in some vein, rumble in the constipated tummy or just indigestion. I don't know where all my stuff is right now.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 07-06-2009, 05:58 PM

I'm just over 18 weeks and I think I may have been feeling something for about a week now but I can't be sure. It feels like a tiny little bubble popping (like a pp said) and it has been in the same couple of spots so I think it might be an actual live baby! Also I have noticed a weird feeling when DH pokes my stomach lol....

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:00 AM

I'm 16 weeks today and haven't felt anything yet. I'm really impatient too!!

Kate
Leander Elias 12/28/09
Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 PM

I', 16w6d... felt a few 'squirms' or flutters... had a two hour drive over the holiday weekend and they were almost non stop.

EDD 12/15/09, first time mama
Old 07-08-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances7 View Post
I'm 18 weeks along today. First pregnancy and I too am really eager for the "quickening" to start - I can't wait to feel it! I've also had some occasional quick tugging/pressure feelings, but so far I think it's just been gas.

My mother-in-law - every time I see her - keeps asking if I've felt the baby move yet. Every time, I tell her that many first-timers don't feel it until 22 weeks or so, and every time she tells me that she felt it at 14 weeks. I know she's just excited to be a grandma, but - not helpful. :

As you said, it could still be several weeks for us. In the mean time, we can both be waiting... impatiently!
Update: today I felt the first movements that I was sure were the little one! It felt like a light thump on the right side, then some wiggly/fluttery feelings in the middle, then another thump. I was so happy I started crying, like a big goofball!

Definitely worth waiting for!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:29 PM

I'm 18 going on 19 weeks and mine starts kicking every 10-20 minutes or so. When I sit down, when I lay down, basically anytime I'm not moving about, there's some very strong pushing and kicking. Even had a head-butt at one point

User Tag List