Mothering Forum banner

Anyone doing hypnobabies?

1K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Noelle C. 
#1 ·
I think I'm going to this time around. DD2's birth was relatively pain free but there were a few moments of panic where something like this would have been helpful.

Just waiting til Monday so money can be shifted around bank accounts.
For those who are considering it but unsure due to the price I found a discount code for 20% off AND if you buy new the company will buy it back from you. Doing the math from that certainly made the price easier to swallow.

See less See more
#2 ·
I did it with Isabel and can't believe more people don't do it. OK so I was induced and apparantly pit gives you these awful pressure waves (time to get back into the vocab!) but to be honest I loved my birthing experience. If I could just go natural and avoid the pit next time I think it could be even better.

They do have a waiting list to buy second hand for $75, or they go for $100 or so on eBay.

The home study course is superb and I felt completley 100% prepared and at no point was I worried, or scared. I also had the least 'John Wayne walk' out of everyone else on the ward afterwards.

#3 ·
I'm wondering. I had an hour long contraction last time, and I'm not in a hurry to go through that experience again. (First timers, highlight at your own risk.) Probably not, though I will be getting a pool this time. And a TENS machine. And a midwife with gas and air.

#4 ·
I poorly attempted to use hypnobabies with my first, and it did not work. I didn't practaice the program nearly enough, and I dont think I was prepared to really use it. I couldn't even concentrate on the words she was saying because I was in too much pain. So just posting as a word to the wise... don't slack on practicing! I guess Im not the right personality type for the program, because Im a procrastinator and pretty lazy. She claims its the easiest thing you'll do during your pregnancy, but I found the idea of all that reading and that daily practaice to be too much. My midwife was making me visit her all the time and normal doctors, plus I had her childbirth classes to go, so I just never really felt like putting forth the extra effort. I really believe that it can work for anyone willing to work hard enough for it though.

#5 ·
I found it quite easy as normally when possible I do take afternoon naps, in pregnancy I need a nap, also in the heat there's nothing else to do mid afternoon but nap. So listening to a 30 min CD every afternoon fitted into my life quite well. Isabel came 3 weeks early so I didn't do as much practice on the partner script as I could have done with more time, but yet the little I did actually gave me a wave of anesthesia whenever OH put his hand on my shoulder and said relax. Also I frequently used a roll on relaxing essential oil thingy when listening to the CDs. Naturally I forgot to use that during the birthing, but afterwards with all that came when Isabel was in hospital I was absolutly hysterical with tears once and the smell calmed me down.

Ah helen, look at you showing off with your ability to have a pool. As someone who is most likely going to have pit and CFM with every birth I can only dream of a pool. Although this time I am doing all I can to break the family trait and avoid PROM so that I may be able to wallow in the tub next time.

Gas and air, yeah I used that and didn't think it did owt, but was nice to have something to focus on, the deep breathing. Maybe it really worked, or just the placebo of having something. But I was upset I didn't find it funny. Or do they take the laughing bit out of birthing gas.

At the end of the day it's not for everyone, when you're in the habit and do have a time when you can listen to the cd each day then it can work. It's just a matter of preparation and deciding what birthing experience you would like.

It's too easy for people to get on their high horses for any decision and try to say that something which worked for them is the 'perfect choice' and everyone should do it. I don't want to have a drug free birth so I get an extra gold star and can look down on those who took everything available, I just think it makes sense for me. I looked into epidurals and just didn't think it was the right choice for me (and at the time I didn't realise our local hospital is a rare one in Spain as they offer gas and air). My sister gets so worked up saying doctors don't suggest it so it's obviously not the best, 'everyone' gets epidurals so that's obviously best. Doctors know what everyone should do so we should all do what they say. Also apparantly birth hurts because 'everyone' say so. Lets just say we disagree on a few issues when it comes to birth!

#6 ·
I wish I were getting a pool. With DD2 we just used our tub at the time since it was geuinely perfect. The tub I have now, even though I'm in the same building as with DD2 (just a different apartment), is craptastic to a degree. My water pressure sucks and my hot water runs out way too fast. I'm thinking of getting a hose to attach to my kitchen sink since its right next to the bathroom. I have to figure something out in that regard because I do not want another land birth. I so prefer the water ones. Much less to clean up.

#7 ·
I did the homestudy with DD2, but did not use the hypno-anesthesia during labor. Didn't feel I needed to. It was relatively pain-free and super fast, 47 minutes.

I had intended on doing the homestudy with DS, but couldn't find some of my CD scripts.

I think I have all of my CDs now, but I didn't bring the book with us. It's in storage. So I have to get that.

#9 ·
I'm starting week two tomorrow. So far, I feel like it's working really well for me. Of course, I won't really know until the big day if it actually works for me or not, but I've been having BH contractions in conjunction with moving too suddenly with a full bladder (oh so fun). They left my uterine muscles pretty tight before I did the Painless Childbirth script one time this week, and as she was telling me about how the pressure waves would feel pleasant, the tightness there started feeling really good! An encouraging sign, to say the least.

I'm a gung-ho newbie at it (and don't have any kids yet to take up my time, just spoiled cats who come in and sit on me while I'm listening to the MP3s), so I haven't had a hard time finding time to do the scripts. (The affirmations are a different story, though...I keep meaning to get around to listening to them during the day but I find them less interesting, even though in theory they sound important.) Listening to a script instead of taking an afternoon nap is more restful than the nap would be, so that's generally when I do mine. Sometimes I do a second one as I'm lying in bed at night, because the LO is starting to exert some pressure on my ribs and relaxing that deeply helps me get comfortable.

But I think it will take more effort to keep up with the maintenance stuff once I'm done with the course because the novelty will wear off, I'm sure. But I plan to do what it takes to stick with it because if it helps even half as much as a lot of people say it does, it will be well worth it. Even without that, taking the time to relax every day has got to be healthy.

#11 ·
I'm really interested in doing this, but I'm wondering if it's possible to piece together the homestudy course from the MP3 downloads the company sells. We're all about the iPods in this family, so I'd actually have to go buy some kind of CD player to use the homestudy course as sold with the CDs. Which seems like an unnecessary hassle if there's a way around it.

Anyone know if others have done this?

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalemma View Post
I'm really interested in doing this, but I'm wondering if it's possible to piece together the homestudy course from the MP3 downloads the company sells. We're all about the iPods in this family, so I'd actually have to go buy some kind of CD player to use the homestudy course as sold with the CDs. Which seems like an unnecessary hassle if there's a way around it.

Anyone know if others have done this?
I kind of looked into doing that because the CDs are kind of useless space wasters if you're used to doing music digitally, but it didn't seem like they were selling all the MP3s from the actual course...I can't remember exactly what they had, but it looked like they were offering mostly just the supplemental scripts. So I bought the CDs. I just had iTunes quickly convert the them for me so I could have them on my iPod, but I really wish they sold a version of the home study course that was just MP3s and a PDF with the course materials. I guess the upside of having the CDs is that you can sell the back to the company.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalemma View Post
That's true, I guess I can just buy the CDs and have iTunes rip them. I'm just so lazy, it's terrible.
I know exactly what you mean. It only took me a few minutes to do it (broken up by doing other things at my desk while waiting for the CDs to rip) but it still annoyed me to have to do it.
It's nice having them on the iPod, though. I have a playlist for each script, so I don't have to worry about another script that I'm not supposed to listen to starting if I fall and stay asleep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymonster View Post
I am undecided.
I have a friend who swears by it, but I suspect my personality may be a little too cynical for that type of program

I might just stick with affirmations... Hmm.
Both DH and I have past history with/academic interest in hypnosis, and I've always considered myself "un-hypnotizable", thanks to being pretty analytical/skeptical and kind of a control freak. I always thought that in order for hypnosis to count for me, I had to be unable to break through it, so I'd constantly test it, and being strong-willed, I'd always break it. The Hypnobabies stuff, though, has done a pretty good job of convincing me (despite my skepticism and awareness of what they're doing) that kind of personality will actually be better hypnotized once you choose to be hypnotized, and that it's all in the choice. All hypnosis is self-hypnosis, they say, and all self-hypnosis is a choice.

For really analytical people, they suggest that you just focus on each word as it's said, one word at a time, with an open mind, rather than worrying about feeling/visualizing anything. This does seem to help when my brain is kind of restless and starts thinking about everything too hard.

The other day, my ear was starting to hurt because I was lying on it funny, and I wanted to move my head. It felt like I couldn't move it if I sort of pushed against the feeling of not being able to move gently...but I also knew very well that I could move it if I chose to. In the end, I decided that five more minutes of not being quite as comfortable as I would like was better than showing my brain that it could break the hypnosis if it wanted, and chose to stay "under".

Looking back on that has really helped me believe that this can work for me. I'm really kind of surprised and excited about this, even though I obviously felt the program was worth a shot to the point that I paid for it. Before, I had more of a "this might work, but either way it will help me relax if nothing else" attitude toward it before, but the more I choose to go along with it, the better it seems to work, which helps me choose to go along with it more readily the next time.

Personally, I find the affirmations bring out the skeptic in me more than the actual hypnosis does.
I guess it boils down to whether or not you think you can get your skeptical mind to choose to pretend the hypnosis works for long enough to give it a chance to work. I'm still skeptical of some of the claims of the program, but I'm trying to even pretend that those will happen for me...the worst that can happen is that I'm wrong, and I'm in the same boat I would've been in anyway, but maybe with some extra ability to relax to help me along.

#16 ·
That is really interesting cloudbutterfly - maybe I should ask my friend if she would lend me her CDs... It can't hurt to try them and see how I feel about it

The reason I think the affirmations might work for me is that during my last labor I really lost sight of what I was actually doing and why (thank you terrible exhaustion). I think having some affirmations that were personal and familiar might have helped to keep me more focussed.

#17 ·
Quote:

That is really interesting cloudbutterfly - maybe I should ask my friend if she would lend me her CDs... It can't hurt to try them and see how I feel about it

The reason I think the affirmations might work for me is that during my last labor I really lost sight of what I was actually doing and why (thank you terrible exhaustion). I think having some affirmations that were personal and familiar might have helped to keep me more focussed.
Yeah, definitely borrow them and try them out if you can! I was convinced that I wanted to buy them by listening to a sample script I found on a Hypnobabies teacher's website...it talked about some of the things I mentioned above, and gave me some confidence that the program might work for me.

That sounds like a good reason to use affirmations.
Hypnobabies has two affirmations scripts, one that you listen to every day, and one for right around the birth, so that might be good. I think I just need to get in the habit of listening to them daily. I like them once the track has been going for awhile and my inner monologue shuts up for awhile.

#18 ·
If you've access to the course then just do it. Seriously what is the worst that'll happen, you try it, it doesn't work. If you don't try it, then it definatly won't work. Have you not seen under stage hypnosis someone eating an onion being told it's an apple. Your body does what it expects, does what it's told.

Go on you tube and watch the birth videos. Google for hypnobabies doesn't work, and then hypnobabies works. Most people who it didn't work for admit the didn't completely put the effort in. I saw a video of a woman using hypnosis during birth, she was calm, relaxed and not screaming the place down. I decided that was the birth I wanted. It's all about choices at the end of the day.

The course also has partner scripts so your partner feels useful and they can actually help during the birth. I didn't realise Isabel was crowning, I felt no pain or discomfort at all because the hypnosis said I wouldn't. Yes I was on pit so my pressure waves were stronger and very intense. I didn't have the painfree birth I wanted. But then again I was relaxed and really enjoyed it all. I calmly and slowly pushed Isabel out to minimise tearing.

#19 ·
I'm getting it tomorrow! Well...buying it tomorrow.
If you are on a budget definitely see about getting the used ones. That's what I'm doing. Although, after the discount code and selling it back to them it's still cheaper than buying it used. Just depends on what you prefer I guess.

I can't wait. DH has gotten to talk to a hypnobabies person before for one of our companies/tangents. He was all excited when I brought it up to him. I can't wait for it to get here!

Question: Do you need to do the affirmations? I hate them. I think they are such a silly thing but I admit that's because I've never really had a need for them. In high stress situations I don't instinctivly go for the self motivation (which is what I view affirmations as). They just seem hollow to me. So how big a part are they? Is it possible to skip that portion or is it one of those things that even if you don't use is good to listen to?

#20 ·
I'm not one for all talk to yourself in the mirror and tell yourself how wonderful you are lark. I ride a motorbike and the funniest things was being sat in traffic next to a guy in a car (amazing how car drivers forget bikers can see and hear them), he had a post it note on the dashboard telling him how good he was and how confident.... I'm pretty sure he was also saying it out loud. Made me giggle.

Anyway so yes I am not exactly an affirmations person. I also didn't really have anyone around saying negative thigns so I didn't need a bubble of peace. But to be honest I did listen to the affirmations in the background during the day, and I sort of liked them. I like to be told that my body does know what to do during pregnancy and that everything that's happening is perfect for me and my baby. I was so relaxed and had no fear about the birth at all. Perhaps that's due to the affirmations.

At the end of the day try it out a few times. Put it on when you're cooking or something. You might like them, or not. They're not a big part of the hypnosis element, I think they're just there to make you feel calm and relaxed about your birth, which then makes the hypnosis and self anesthesia easier. Also on the way to the hospital if you've got a long journey you might get all nervous and all that adrenaline gets going (you try being calm when you're about to see your baby), perhaps the birthing day affirmations can help to calm that down and reduce the adrenaline.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
perhaps the birthing day affirmations can help to calm that down and reduce the adrenaline.
ITA! When I went into pre-term labor with my DS at 26 weeks, I was in soooo much pain. At the time I was only 2 cm dilated, 80% effaced and contracting every 1-2 minutes. Being afraid and having adrenaline rushing through your body makes everything 100x worse. When I was finally induced with DS at 38 weeks (pre-e) after 10 weeks of meds and bedrest, I was much calmer. I tried hypnosis without any practice and it still worked until I hit transition. Being on pitocin during transition for me was unbearable and again the fears started since it was my first birth. When I got pregnant with DD, I made a committment to practice hypnobirthing and be completely prepared. I labored for 4.5 hours in the water with DD. It was such wonderful experience being at peace and letting my body do its job without resistance. The labor got intense at the end, but I wouldn't say it ever got "painful." That is a direct result of my hypnosis training. My DH was in awe. He said the only sounds I made besides the "ahhhh..." breathing was when I grunted/groaned while pushing. I got the perfect silent birth I wanted with her. It was truly amazing. I am hoping to be as calm and relaxed this time around as well. It helps so much.

#22 ·
Quote:

On my antenatal classes ten years ago, one of the class supporters suggested packing a baby thing- hairbrush, toy, something you associate with the baby- in your labour bag to focus on when times get tough and you'd really rather not be in labour, thankyou very much. When I've done that, it has helped.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
On my antenatal classes ten years ago, one of the class supporters suggested packing a baby thing- hairbrush, toy, something you associate with the baby- in your labour bag to focus on when times get tough and you'd really rather not be in labour, thankyou very much. When I've done that, it has helped.
That's a great idea.
I think I'll pack the stuffed animal I bought for him the day we found out he was a boy, unless something else looks littler and cuter the day I'm packing.

#26 ·
Noelle google for hypnobabies, and search for hypnobabies on youtube. Basically hypnosis for anesthesia has been used for years for people dangerously alergic to anesthesia who need operations. It's been in medical journals, it's not new age mumbo jumbo. With hypnosis you can tell the brain what to expect, and that's what you get. For years everyone takes delight in telling everyone else that childbirth hurts, it's awful and really painful. Not suprisingly that's the birthing experience a lot of people get.

Hypnobabies is one of the methods for teaching you hypnosis tools to use in childbirth as an way of controlling the sensations. Some people manage to birth a 9lb baby no pain relief, just hypnosis, others don't.

If you're scared or nervous, or have adrenaline going in birthing the body thinks you're under threat, so it can try to slow things down to give you a chance to run away and get somewhere you're safe. You can't run away from a hospital so sometimes that fear pain circle makes things longer and more painful. Hypnosis teaches you to relax, and create your own anesthesia (and yes although it sounds too good to be true it does work). Thereby generally giving you a more relaxed birth with less need for interventions and medication.

I used hypnobabies with Isabel and really enjoyed it. I do get boring on the subject but only because I feel it's such a wonderful way of birthing, it makes so much more sense to be than anything else that's on offer. But it's just another choice. Some people swear by epidurals. Epidurals can make things last longer, reduced mobility, you may loose a lot of feeling so you don't know when to push.... You have to look at all the options and decide what's best for you, and the way you want to birth. What swayed it for me was the way the people doing hypnosis were so calm and relaxed in all the birth videos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.