Are new hospital regulations changing your birth plans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-16-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hospitals here are starting to ban all visitors under the age of 16/17/18.

No exceptions.

I had been planning a hospital VBAC, but now DH and I are seriously considering a HBAC. I just can't imagine the trauma to my attached 3 y/o if he can't even see me and I show up days later with a new baby. At the very least how can that not give him the impression he's been replaced?

(I don't think I've ever spent more than a few hours away from him. I have never had a reason to.)

We have tried so hard through my whole pregnancy to keep him involved and have exposed him to births (via video, of course) and left the invitation open if he wanted to be there. We are trying to stress the growth of our family as a whole and now the stupid hospitals have found yet another way to harm that.

Has your hospital enacted an age restriction policy and has that policy (or will it) change your birth plans?

<3 Dena

Wife to M 4.04 and Mama to hopmad.gifJ the activist 5.06, superhero.gifSammy Tsunami 12.09, and stork-girl.gif  coming soon!

#2 of 6 Old 10-17-2009, 12:50 AM

If you have the HBAC can you arrange to stay the bare minimum? My m/w said that so long as baby and I have done the whole bowel movement/urinated thing and all looks well with both of us they'll let us go at the 12 hour mark, 24 max. I was supposed to only have to stay 24 hours with DD but she ended up being born at 11:30 at night and getting home and getting DS settled at midnight didn't sound like my idea of a good time so I went home early the next day (probably a total of 36 hrs in hospital)

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#3 of 6 Old 10-17-2009, 03:48 AM

If you have already had one child, many times they will let you go home 4 hrs, 8 hrs later. To go to your ped for the PKU and such. I know that with our HB transfers, they let us go home sooner than when we had the baby at the hospital. You may let your dr know that you will want to leave ASAP to get home to your child, and if he hem and haws about that, let him know that you will have a postpartum doula, or your mother, or your DH will be home for a full 48 hrs after the baby is born. And, you would come back in if anything comes up. Kymberli
#4 of 6 Old 10-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Yes - they completely changed my birth plan. I've spent the last 10 days scrambling to either find a HB M/W or an ABC that would let my kids come in (or let me leave after 6 hours). We have no money for a m/w, unfortunately, but I think I found an ABC that will let my kids in and/or let me leave after 6 hours.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#5 of 6 Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

I've heard of hospitals allowing in only ONE support person at all, so like ONLY the father, ONLY a doula, or ONLY your mother. One. Only one. No matter what. You, one person, and then the rest being the hospital staff. No one else even allowed in the halls. No one else allowed in even after birth to meet the baby. Wait until you go home for anyone else to see the baby.

Which is bull.

One article I read claimed everyone has swine flu germs and will pass it to newborns. Another said some mothers aren't comfortable having several family and friends around, so limiting it to one helps them (who cares about those who want the father, their best friend, their doula, etc., there as support, screw those moms, I guess).

Screw my insurance for denying coverage for my midwife, which is a covered service, and telling me to go to the hospital instead. NO WAY.
#6 of 6 Old 10-18-2009, 04:18 PM

Some hospitals here are banning children under 12 not because they all have the flu, but because one can have swine flu and not have a fever and they are finding that younger kids are contagious for a greater period of time after the symptoms going away then the typical flu.

Here you can leave the hospital as soon as the baby's pediatrician gives you the okay. It doesn't matter what the hospital staff think or say-- if your Ped. says you can leave after 4 hours, you can leave.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page