goofy! effective! labor-inducing "dance" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-28-2009, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just reading posts from mamas getting close to 42 weeks, and though I haven't posted much here before, I thought I'd add my two cents. My due date was today (12/27), so I'm not feeling so anxious just yet, but I totally remember what that's about. My first baby was born in 2006 at about 42 weeks. Two things helped me go into labor before they could talk me into induction: (1) I sent a polite but honest email to my hospital midwives about some discussions that had left me feeling a bit unsettled and vulnerable (I felt so relieved after sending that email, I'm convinced it loosened me up emotionally and probably physically), and (2) later the same day, I spent an hour or so doing a sort of "dance" my prenatal yoga teacher had told me might help.

So in case anyone's interested, I'll paste below the "instructions" that yoga teacher sent me for those handy labor-inducing movements (and by the way, against her advice, I did start doing it in the afternoon, but luckily I wasn't too tired and went into full-fledged labor just a few hours later, resulting in a six-hour, middle-of-the-night, intervention-free, awesome and intense first-time labor). Anyway, here's what she sent me:

"First, do this rub-the-belly-squat thingy in the morning when you are really ready should labor start. If you do it at 4 pm and labor begins at 9 pm, you'll be tired! For as long as you can, try the following. Rub your belly with a flat palm quite vigorously in a clockwise circle, around around around (don't be shy to be firm with your touch), for 1 minute (the average length of a contraction). This will stimulate a Braxton Hicks contraction. Next, for 3 minutes (the average you-know-you're-in-labor-when length of break between contractions) do your own combination of a wide-legged lungy type of walking (big, wide-open pelvis---you'll look ridiculous, so do it where you can be free of onlookers!) and squats. Walk walk squat, walk walk lunge---whatever---for 3 minutes. Think wide pelvis, deep squats. You can also put one leg up on stairs and lunge upwards into it (easier than lunging down towards the ground!). Do this rub-the-belly for 1 minute and lunge-squat-walk for 3 minutes for as long as you can. Rest. Repeat! It has been known to bring labor on, if the body is ready. If it's not quite ready, rest and try again the next day. Don't get discouraged! Trust in your body. It's working just fine without too much messing with it!"

So that's it. It's pretty tiring, but I highly recommend it! It does look pretty goofy, too, like she says. But the goofiness might get you laughing, like it did me, which can only help loosen things up even more, right?

Anyway, best wishes to all you moms patiently waiting for a baby! Who knows, I could be doing this dance again myself a couple of weeks from now . . .

Mindy, mom to Harriet (b. 10/12/06) and Baby No. 2 (due 12/27/09)
#2 of 4 Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 AM

I'm 40 weeks, 3 days and trying not to get to anxious either. DD was born at 41 weeks. I might just try this though.

Ampartners.gifDF*DD7shy.gif*DD3shy.gif*Baby#3stork-suprise.gif EDD August 26, 2013

angel1.gif Feb. 28, 2004  angel1.gif Nov. 5, 2006

vbac.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gifcd.gif

signcirc1.gif

#3 of 4 Old 12-28-2009, 02:46 PM

I'm in!

Earthy Mama treehugger.gifmarried to my best friend with a sweet,joy.gif Spark of Love born 1.2.10, expecting hola.gif 3.4.13!!!

#4 of 4 Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 AM

I'm saving this for just in case.
Sounds fun!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page