Castor oil to induce labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-31-2009, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 40 weeks and 1 day today. At my appt my doc said I am over 4cm dilated but not quite 5cm, 80% effaced and cervix is very thin and soft. Baby is at 0 station. I've been this way for over 2 weeks. So she said I may want to try taking 1TBS of castor oil, eating pizza and having sex. Something about this combo does the trick for some women she said.

Is there a certain brand of castor oil that's better than others as far as taste and odor go?

Also if anyone has tried this before did it work for you? If so how long did it take?

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 12-31-2009, 07:21 PM

ddc crashing from jan... just wanted to say i would be really, really hesitant to use CO.. i've heard of some nightmarish things happening.
i hope the babe comes soon for you!

Mama to 2 little men (2004 & 2005) and a little lady who just arrived january 8th
Always remembering our little angels up above.
#3 of 7 Old 12-31-2009, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I did CO induction under my mw's supervision. I did two doses because after a few hours the first dose didn't kick in. It was 8 hours after the first dose that I had to take a trip to the bathroom. I also did black and blue cohosh. Contractions started after the second bathroom trip. I took about 4 trips to the bathroom. It wasn't bad at all.

I ate a big meal and took the first dose an hour later. I was also a stretchy 4 cm and 80% effaced when I took it. From the time active labor started to birth was 1 hour 51 minutes. Went from 6 cm to birth in 5 minutes.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#4 of 7 Old 12-31-2009, 08:26 PM

My first was a C.O induction. Took it in the evening, woke up with contractions at 3.30am, and didn't get the diarrhoea.

I tried it- and failed- to break the prodromal labour I had with DD, and that was horrible. I ended up taking large doses, which made my bottom hurt and my uterus hurt and my tummy hurt and I still wasn't in labour. Keep the dose small- BUT I think 40 weeks is too soon to consider it.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#5 of 7 Old 01-01-2010, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My old mw had me take it with Pepsi. She said Coke doesn't mask the taste like Pepsi. The texture was gross but the taste wasn't any worse than Pepsi already tastes, lol.
#6 of 7 Old 01-01-2010, 01:25 PM

I took CO, 2Tablespoons at 41w2d, 4:30pm and by 4am had my baby

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#7 of 7 Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 PM

I rubbed it on my belly because my MIL stalled my labor. I got the idea from Wise Woman's Herbal book, I was hesitant in ingesting it. I rubbed it on and sat with a heating pad on my belly. An hour or so later, lose BM's and then contractions got stronger and 2 hours later, ds was born.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page