To paci or not to paci...that is the question. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So Levi has high sucking needs. He actually had sucking blisters on both hands when he was born. He nurses VERY well. He latched well at his first feeding and was a pro by 24 hours. I've always used a paci for my other kids.

My question is why shouldn't I use a pacifier?

He's 9 days old and seems to get annoyed when he's done eating but still wants to suck. I don't mind but he gets mad. My milk supply is fine. I deal with over supply and have been block feeding with lovely results. What are your thoughts?

Part of me feels like it's too early, but part of me wants him to be comforted...ugh, I don't know what to do...

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 12:01 AM

I don't know of reasons not to pacify (verb form of pacifier), but I don't like the idea because I am resistant to baby devices. It's just a me thing!

That said, when my first dd screamed for every car ride of her first year, we tried pacifiers. They didn't work. But it would definitely be worth it if it made baby happier. I mean, there's my appreciation for old-fashioned baby-rearing, and then there's my baby's happiness and you gotta prioritize!

Anyway, don't have an answer for you, but those are my thoughts!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#3 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 04:12 AM

H. is generally the mellowest baby imaginable, but Does Not Like Diaper Changes. A pacifier while he's being changed (until I figure out how to change and nurse at the same time..? heh.) is helpful for all of us - otherwise he'll occasionally take it if he still wants to suck but no longer wants to eat, but it's not really a big thing for him. He doesn't sleep with it or want to suck on it for long periods. It certainly hasn't led to any nipple confusion.

If you're torn about introducing a binky, how about letting him suck on your little finger when he wants to comfort-suck?

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#4 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 01:14 PM

I was anti-paci with #1 until I realised she was screaming all the time for no reason. She needed to suck with no milk in her way. So we started it at 5weeks. She was a much easier and happier baby after that. We gave Archie a paci at 1 day old this time in the car on the way to the ped. My milk was coming in and he had a strong latch, so I wasn't worried about it. We use it in the car and during fussy time when nursing just won't cut it.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#5 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Same here...LO will take paci in the car on occasion, but seems truly and deeply offended if you put it in her mouth outside of the car! lol...she's 3 wks! If i give it to her and she's laying down, she gags. Sorry baby!!

My 1st lo took a paci until he got his first tooth at 3mo. He spit that thing out and never looked back...well until he discovered some of his leftover pacis in with the tubs of baby clothes. Now he likes to play and suck on his Nemo paci. LOL...I refuse to let it leave the house though!
#6 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
She needed to suck with no milk in her way.... My milk was coming in and he had a strong latch, so I wasn't worried about it. We use it in the car and during fussy time when nursing just won't cut it.

We just brought one in at about 4 wks .. DS wants to just hang out on my nipple 24/7 which is fine as long as I don't have to do anything else for the next 2 yrs or so..

We use it only when I'm out of the house/he's with DH or after a marathon feeding where hes just wanting to latch or suck without eating. .

I have a HUGE oversupply problem so if anything it might help with that a little..

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#7 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adasmommy View Post
I don't know of reasons not to pacify (verb form of pacifier), but I don't like the idea because I am resistant to baby devices. It's just a me thing!

That said, when my first dd screamed for every car ride of her first year, we tried pacifiers. They didn't work. But it would definitely be worth it if it made baby happier. I mean, there's my appreciation for old-fashioned baby-rearing, and then there's my baby's happiness and you gotta prioritize!
This is pretty much how I feel since I strive to practice ecological breastfeeding. However, I don't judge those who choose to use a paci.

As for reasons not to use a paci that I can think of:

1) Nipple confusion (for some babies artificial nipples do mess with their latch)

2) Reduced milk supply for mom if pacis are used too often.

3) Orthodontic problems if pacis are used too often or too long.

4) Speech problems (same as #3).

5) Dependence on paci (personal). I do have a friend whose child "needed" his paci to fall asleep even at age 6.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
#8 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used a pacifier until age 3 and a half or so and I've never needed braces and have a dentist's (and parent's) dream of a set of teeth. My mom was afraid to use one when nursing my brother and he got into thumb sucking and it REALLY screwed with his teeth and thousands dollars worth of orthodontic bills later, his over bite is still noticeable.

I don't know if statistics support this, but I would prefer to give DD a pacifier than let her suck her thumb, which she seems to be working up to. I'm torn too but leaning toward to pacifier because she wants to have my nipple in her mouth all the time and much of the time she is not eating but in fact sucking on the end of the nipple and sometimes gumming it (ouch) for comfort when she's gassy or cranky. It hurts and I take it away but then she just screams. All that sucking has increased my milk supply too to the point that I did not have over supply and engorgement issues the first two weeks but have the last week or so.

I worry about the latch, but this wednesday is 4 weeks and when she is actually eating her latch is good. So I'm in the market for a pacifier. Any recs?

I'm not advocating it per se, just sharing my situation and thinking.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#9 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM

I'm certainly not advocating either way, just sharing my experience. I have not used a pacifier with any of my kids. Although DS1 was bottle-fed BF until 9 months because he had so much trouble latching. I remember when DS1 was a baby and I was at a LLL meeting during which one of the other mothers talked about how she didn't know how to soothe her baby other than by offering the boob. To her that was the easy fast solution and she didn't understand how FF feeders could comfort their LOs. Well since I wasn't able to use the breast as a comfort tool, I had learned other ways of comforting (and without the use of a paci). Both DD and Everett are/were breastfed at the breast and again I don't rely exclusively on the breast or a paci as a soothing device. We try other things including different kinds of carry positions, singing, rocking, slinging, taking walks, changes of scenery etc... So there are other ways if you really want to find one. Again it's a personal choice.

ETA: Neither of my older kids are thumb suckers though. Not sure if that runs in families. I was not a thumb sucker and no one in my family was ever one. My mother never used a pacifier with any of her kids either.

#10 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...I feel the same way all of you do. I guess that's why I'm confused. My kids seem to have high oral needs. Dd, 9, still sucks her thumb and has the teeth to prove it. On one hand, I like the idea of thumb sucking because it's on their terms...on the other hand, you cannot take a thumb away.

I have not decided if I'm ecologically breastfeeding. I don't know what the benefits are besides infertility. So far, that's what I've been doing but I'm not sure if I'm going to continue.

I'm going to talk to my mw about it when she comes this week.

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#11 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 PM

With oversupply issues, I'd give him the option and if he dislikes it, let it go.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#12 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinmom View Post
This is pretty much how I feel since I strive to practice ecological breastfeeding. However, I don't judge those who choose to use a paci.

As for reasons not to use a paci that I can think of:

1) Nipple confusion (for some babies artificial nipples do mess with their latch)

2) Reduced milk supply for mom if pacis are used too often.

3) Orthodontic problems if pacis are used too often or too long.

4) Speech problems (same as #3).

5) Dependence on paci (personal). I do have a friend whose child "needed" his paci to fall asleep even at age 6.
We caved and bought a couple pacifiers after the 5th day of crying. I'm curious, how does using a pacifier reduce milk supply? Forgive my ignorance ha.

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

#13 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvanaRose View Post
We caved and bought a couple pacifiers after the 5th day of crying. I'm curious, how does using a pacifier reduce milk supply? Forgive my ignorance ha.
Quotes from a few articles on breastfeeding.

Using formula supplements or pacifiers regularly can decrease your supply. Babies who are full of formula will nurse less often, and some babies are willing to meet their sucking needs with a pacifier rather than spending time at the breast. If you need to supplement with formula, try to pump after feedings to give your breasts extra stimulation. If you use a pacifier, make sure that it isn’t used as a supplement for nutritive sucking.

Q&A on this exact question: http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...,,3wx7,00.html

From "Hidden Hinderances to a Healthy Milk Supply"
Overuse of the pacifier. Babies all need to suck and it is this desire that often ensures that the baby is at mother's breast frequently enough to maintain her supply. Avoid using a pacifier if possible. Along with compromising milk supply, pacifiers have also been linked to greater incidence of ear infections and thrush and premature weaning. If you choose to use one, use it only after a feeding and watch your baby for signs that he is loving his pacifier too much. Limiting pacifier use is one effective way of increasing milk supply if needed.

There are more articles on this topic if you Google it. HTH!

#14 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
DDC crashing - My almost 4yo still uses a paci (rollmyeyes) and his teeth are perfect, however, my 19yo dd only took a paci for the first five months and her teeth were horrible and cost us thousands of dollars to fix.
#15 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I caved. I still feel guilty about it but we're all much happier. I'm hoping to use it sparingly and take it away as soon as he can find his hands regularly.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page